Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:23:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: That forum and google  (Read 1642 times)
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 03:22:42 PM

It's funny, if you look for "bitcoin forums" the first thing you see is a "I just got hacked - any help is welcome! (25000 BTC stolen)" thread... and you wonder why people avoid bitcoin?  Cheesy Sure, if you pay attention you never lose anything but still... reading that as first thing don't help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 04:00:32 PM

You do know Google uses information they have about you to make your searches more efficient right?  Everyone is gonna get different results, particularly those who visit this forum since Google will rank sites you have visited higher. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 04:17:09 PM

Here's the result I get: https://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22bitcoin+forums%22
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 06:03:04 PM

I got hacked is the first sub-link for me, dunno what you're seeing without a screenshot
Therilith

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

100X100111XX10

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 06:48:26 PM

You do know Google uses information they have about you to make your searches more efficient right?  Everyone is gonna get different results, particularly those who visit this forum since Google will rank sites you have visited higher. 
They still do that?

Money is power. If you would like to transfer some of your power to me (making yourself weaker and me stronger), use the following address: 1PoFSpghmpsebfwZwnu5PPmmv2u9uYgJKo
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 07:50:40 PM

They still do that?

Yes. And it is different for each country. I used to get that "I got hacked" thread as a top result, but now I don't even see it in the first page.
cruikshank

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 01:47:28 AM

They still do that?

That is how their business works. This should give you the option to opt out.

1JvnFCbMXAyeooPggF9snLAeg3A2QVV8eh
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 02:22:38 AM

I got hacked is the first sub-link for me, dunno what you're seeing without a screenshot

I posted that on purpose, JeffK. I agree with the sentiment that each person would get a different result because of Google's algorithm. Curious, though, what would the results be if you had a brand new computer or, at the very least, search without logging into Google via a freshly installed browser you haven't used in the past.
niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 05:27:52 AM

I posted that on purpose, JeffK. I agree with the sentiment that each person would get a different result because of Google's algorithm. Curious, though, what would the results be if you had a brand new computer or, at the very least, search without logging into Google via a freshly installed browser you haven't used in the past.

Wouldn't Ctrl+Shift+P in Mozilla do the job?  AFAIK, Google searches are personalized based on your Web history if you are signed in, and on cookies in case you are not signed in. Search results today are affected by IP only regionally, and not personally.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 05:41:57 AM

Wouldn't Ctrl+Shift+P in Mozilla do the job?  AFAIK, Google searches are personalized based on your Web history if you are signed in, and on cookies in case you are not signed in. Search results today are affected by IP only regionally, and not personally.

I'm signed in to my google account when I use it, so I'm pretty sure it personalizes me at that level, not only by cookies.
niko

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 07:22:52 AM

I'm signed in to my google account when I use it, so I'm pretty sure it personalizes me at that level, not only by cookies.

That was exactly my point. If you wish to check non-personalized results for your geographic region, simply use private browsing mode and don't sign in.

On top of that, you are welcome to use Scroogle, ixquick, etc.  There is too much unwarranted fuss about "search bubble" and personalized search.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 07:24:32 AM

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
niko

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 04:36:37 PM

Alright, I do get the "I just got hacked" linked as a second subentry of the bitcointalk.org (which is right on top of the list of hits). This also happens in private browsing mode, without cookies. I'm in Canada.

How can this be dealt with?

Gabi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 01:01:34 PM

I see this:

And i always delete cookie when i close the browser (auto delete)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: