Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:02:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R9390 18Mh/s ETH 100W  (Read 254 times)
CryptoNeverSleepsIn (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2020, 10:32:51 AM

My GPU was very old, but luckily, a friend gifted me a MSI Radeon R9390, so I decided to play around with it and see what kind of hash rate/return I could achieve. This is primarily a gaming/workstation.

This is my first time setting up a miner, and have only been mining/learning for a week. I started with awesome miner/claymore dual, but soon found it easier to edit claymore start.bat the way i liked, and launched that directly instead. I chose miningpoolhub for no discernible reason.

I chose to use afterburner to set my clock. I found AMD software to crash easily. currently, the sweet spot is -100Mv 1120Mhz/1550 18.3Mh/s ETH 103W. the lower voltage significantly reduced heat. FYI stock setting is 0Mv 1040/1500 17.5Mh 130W with more heat. Overclocking is terrible.

The reason im posting is to get a little feedback about my approach so far. this is something im doing for fun/learning, so "not worth it" replies aren't what im looking for. what do you think of my mining software/settings/pools/etc?

BTW can i flash my card and still game? is flashing risky?

Cheers
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
January 22, 2020, 10:58:18 AM

My GPU was very old, but luckily, a friend gifted me a MSI Radeon R9390, so I decided to play around with it and see what kind of hash rate/return I could achieve. This is primarily a gaming/workstation.

This is my first time setting up a miner, and have only been mining/learning for a week. I started with awesome miner/claymore dual, but soon found it easier to edit claymore start.bat the way i liked, and launched that directly instead. I chose miningpoolhub for no discernible reason.

I chose to use afterburner to set my clock. I found AMD software to crash easily. currently, the sweet spot is -100Mv 1120Mhz/1550 18.3Mh/s ETH 103W. the lower voltage significantly reduced heat. FYI stock setting is 0Mv 1040/1500 17.5Mh 130W with more heat. Overclocking is terrible.

The reason im posting is to get a little feedback about my approach so far. this is something im doing for fun/learning, so "not worth it" replies aren't what im looking for. what do you think of my mining software/settings/pools/etc?

BTW can i flash my card and still game? is flashing risky?

Cheers

Mem clock over 1500 is bad for R9390, because the mem timings are to bad. 1500 Mem clock is enough and better. But this is a bad card for mining. it slowdown every new DAG epoch.
Tiky-turbo

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 24, 2020, 09:51:33 AM

Hello,
Please check link below, it worked for me.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1540107.msg51831282#msg51831282
CryptoNeverSleepsIn (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 15, 2020, 07:47:44 AM

Hello,

This is really cool. tyvm. I'll give It a read through and try it out.

I have the "Hawaii" version. what did you happen to have? what kind of results?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723

View Profile
February 16, 2020, 04:21:36 AM

Hello,

This is really cool. tyvm. I'll give It a read through and try it out.

I have the "Hawaii" version. what did you happen to have? what kind of results?

The R9 290 and R9 390 are both Hawaii type of GPUs. The only difference is that the R9 390 has more memory and has higher factory OC but its mostly a rebrand.

The issue that I got with my R9 290 right before I sold it was that it mined at 30MH/s for about 3 years, from 2016 till 2018. Then for some reason it kept getting slower and slower, at first 29.5, then 29, then 28, then 27, etc, etc. Basically whenever the DAG got larger it slowed down, it looked like a DAG slowdown bug that affected the 280X and later the RX series before AMD offered a fix. However there was no fix for the R9 290 either.

So I just sold the GPU because it was a power hog, however that thread that is mentioned above has a user with the R9 290 and he gets 30MH/s by using a different miner or operating system. So read the thread and you will find out how to get 30MH/s with your R9 390. Just keep in mind its a power hog, mine used maybe 250 Watts or so.

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████
███████████▄▄█████▄▄█████