Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:08:44 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Logs show listening on port 8333 but I cannot connect  (Read 201 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2020, 05:10:16 PM

I'm running the Omni Layer which is essentially running Bitcoin with some extras.

When I start omnicored (same as bitcoind) the logs show:

2020-01-17T14:23:15Z AddLocal(167.71.2.197:8333,1)
2020-01-17T14:23:15Z Bound to [::]:8333
2020-01-17T14:23:15Z Bound to 0.0.0.0:8333

But a netstat and any other check of listening ports does not show port 8333 open. There are no firewalls set up (running on a Linux server) yet so nothing is blocking it, and I'm just trying to connect from the local host.

Any ideas?

I'm trying to run BTCPay on the same server and it requires connection to 8333.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Perkjeff

Activity: 65
Merit: 82

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 12:06:18 PM

May be do you have something like Fail2ban (or equivalent) enabled on your server or the port isn't open on IPTABLES.

Can you post the output of this command?

iptables -L -v -n

sudo may be required.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6351

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 12:28:46 PM

What errors is the BTCPay sever giving you? Just cannot connect or something else?

What do you have your rpcallowip set to in your conf file? (do you have 127.0.0.1 set?)

Did it ever work?

And the obligatory question, did you verify with BTCPay that it will work with OmniLayer, no idea why it would not but you never know.

A bit more info can help a lot.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 01:02:46 PM

Custom "features" being added on top of default ones might be causing some clashes regarding the ports. Although it is bound, it might not be listening for any connections.

I'd suggest ditching any 3rd-party stuff and setting it up on your own. It's definitely not a firewall issue.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 01:49:41 PM

But a netstat and any other check of listening ports does not show port 8333 open. There are no firewalls set up (running on a Linux server) yet so nothing is blocking it, and I'm just trying to connect from the local host.

You checked the router/modem settings? That always catched me out.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 03:35:16 PM

Iptables had nothing so I added for 8333

Code:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
 2754  161K ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            tcp dpt:8333

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

What errors is the BTCPay sever giving you? Just cannot connect or something else?

What do you have your rpcallowip set to in your conf file? (do you have 127.0.0.1 set?)

Did it ever work?

And the obligatory question, did you verify with BTCPay that it will work with OmniLayer, no idea why it would not but you never know.

A bit more info can help a lot.

-Dave

My rpcallowip was set to the host IP address, changed to 127.0.0.1 to see if that changed anything.

BTCPay requires running NBXplorer which connects to port 8333

Code:
fail: Configuration:  BTC: Unhandled in Waiter loop
System.OperationCanceledException: Loading the chain from the node timed out
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (111): Connection refused

For netstat it shows no port 8333 open.
Code:
sudo netstat -tulp | grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:6379          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      14879/redis-server 
tcp        0      0 localhost:8332          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      27202/./omnicored   
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:http            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      7236/nginx: master 
tcp        0      0 localhost:postgresql    0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      7955/postgres       
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:smtp            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      23875/master       
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:https           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      7236/nginx: master 
tcp        0      0 localhost:24444         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      826/NBXplorer       
tcp        0      0 localhost:1088          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      4989/uwsgi               
tcp        0      0 localhost:1091          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      5059/python         

While there is nowhere that shows that BTCPay and Omni cannot work on the same server, I have seen it suggested that since Omni is essentially running bitcoind you should not need a separate server if you need bitcoind's features.

Is there something I am missing as far as "turning on listening for port 8333?" I have seen mentions online that you should turn on 8333 to help the community.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Deathwing
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 03:52:05 PM

The issue you are having is pretty simple. BTCPayServer cannot connect to Bitcoin Core daemon.

As I have initially suggested, do a manual install of bitcoind rather than using a third-party app. If you are adamant on using this, check BTCPay Server's RPC settings, from what I can see Bitcoin daemon is 8332.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 04:07:59 PM

The issue you are having is pretty simple. BTCPayServer cannot connect to Bitcoin Core daemon.

As I have initially suggested, do a manual install of bitcoind rather than using a third-party app. If you are adamant on using this, check BTCPay Server's RPC settings, from what I can see Bitcoin daemon is 8332.

It's not out of stubbornness that I don't also install bitcoind. It requires a whole new server because omni is already running on the same ports and I've already spent the weeks it takes to get the 300G+ of blockchain caught up.

I may just go the route of utilizing a third party host for BTCPay until we have enough traffic to justify another server.

Just making sure there wasn't some setting I was missing to turn on the port.

Deathwing
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 04:12:29 PM

It's not out of stubbornness that I don't also install bitcoind. It requires a whole new server because omni is already running on the same ports and I've already spent the weeks it takes to get the 300G+ of blockchain caught up.

I may just go the route of utilizing a third party host for BTCPay until we have enough traffic to justify another server.

Just making sure there wasn't some setting I was missing to turn on the port.

You can look into BTCPay Provider I have been using them for the donation link I have on my website and haven't had a problem yet. (No specific reason, just too lazy to setup my own BTCPay server.)

But yeah, because of whatever node setting that omni has might be affecting BTCPay server.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 04:18:50 PM

You can look into BTCPay Provider I have been using them for the donation link I have on my website and haven't had a problem yet. (No specific reason, just too lazy to setup my own BTCPay server.)

But yeah, because of whatever node setting that omni has might be affecting BTCPay server.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6351

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2020, 04:56:15 PM

---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (111): Connection refused

For netstat it shows no port 8333 open.
Code:
sudo netstat -tulp | grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost:6379          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      14879/redis-server  
tcp        0      0 localhost:8332          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      27202/./omnicored  
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:http            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      7236/nginx: master  
tcp        0      0 localhost:postgresql    0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      7955/postgres      
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:smtp            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      23875/master        
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:https           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      7236/nginx: master  
tcp        0      0 localhost:24444         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      826/NBXplorer      
tcp        0      0 localhost:1088          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      4989/uwsgi              
tcp        0      0 localhost:1091          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      5059/python        

While there is nowhere that shows that BTCPay and Omni cannot work on the same server, I have seen it suggested that since Omni is essentially running bitcoind you should not need a separate server if you need bitcoind's features.

Do you have something like this in the omni conf file?

Code:
rpcuser=Your very secure user
rpcpassword=your very secure password
rpcport=8333
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1

According to this:
https://github.com/OmniLayer/omnicore/blob/master/src/omnicore/doc/rpc-api.md

8332 is the default port for omnicore so you will have to set it in the conf file to be 8333. It looks like you did not do that. If you *did* then for some reason it's not reading the conf file.

So I would start poking around there. Set it to some really odd port and run netstat and see if it shows up there,

Other then that I have no idea.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀