Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:40:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful using MEW to create Ethereum wallet and also opening them  (Read 464 times)
Olaphash

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 06:44:47 PM

I guess your PC or whatever you're accessing from has been compromised. Try exporting the keystore file on other wallet like imToken or metamask.

To avoid this problem, I recommend using Trust Wallet or imtoken. They both support ERC-20
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LbtalkL

Activity: 1176
Merit: 162

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 07:04:43 PM

I have been using the ETH wallet generated from Myetherwallet for 3 years now and I don't encounter any problem with it. I have one question is your funds on that said wallet is still intact? If it is, it is not hacked or something. I was thinking it is a user side error. There are many possible cases. Since Keystore is a file it can be corrupted, your system maybe has a virus and corrupted the file, second, you copy the Keystore file but it was not fully copied, resulting to a corrupted file, If you made some copy try to use those files.
thesmallgod

Activity: 1498
Merit: 129

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 07:58:06 PM

This issue started occurring when they redesign their platform. I remember I do make use of the vintage site without any issue unless my data network is not that good but recently I do receive this error when I want to login using the keystore file I have downloaded a long time ago on my computer. I do not know why MEW has not resolved or comment on this issue this is really bad
kingzpro

Activity: 756
Merit: 13

DIFX - Digital Finacial Exchange

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 08:12:03 PM

I have never faced such an issue while accessing myetherwallet but i have heard people complaining with such issues, you should try to connect to a different server which you can find on the top right section of the page also you should try to check with your isp for filtering or restricting website access and lastly you need to clear your cookies and then try again.

CryptoTech_

Activity: 994
Merit: 106

Official Street Team member

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 09:27:09 PM

Try to log in to another wallet that supports Keystore, then move your money. My suggestion is better to use trustwallet because it is safer in my opinion.

Beyond Protocol Street Team
http://beyond.link | Coming Fall 2021
Official bitcointalk thread
Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 09:29:33 PM

If you use Ethereum wallet more often, it is better to use MetaMask extension because it stores your private key, so there is no risk that spyware in your computer will reveal yours private key.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
tunapa

Activity: 667
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 09:43:48 PM

I haven't used mew since many years now I am surprised to read this. I moved to Imtoken then to trust wallet. Because I don't want any difficulties whenever I want to access my funds without any fear. You should try to import the wallet into trust or imtoken.
gundala

Activity: 896
Merit: 108

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 10:16:26 PM

~Going forward I want us all to take the advice of not using Myetherwallet platform in creating and accessing our ethereum wallets.  I think there is a loophole with their platform and hackers are exploiting it at some point in time and the saddest thing is that they are not aware of this loophole.
I don't think this is wise advice, you can't prohibit other people from using MEW, while you haven't been able to ascertain whether your means of accessing the wallet are correct or not. Pay attention to the warning on the picture that you embed. It could be that you are stuck on a phishing site.

I have used mew for many years, and that is no problem, and I hope there will be no problem in the future. I also use Metamask to facilitate access.

NS-Soul

Activity: 497
Merit: 110

arcs-chain.com

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 11:34:43 PM

I created a topic https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5246731.msg54384321#msg54384321 earlier describing how I was finding it difficult logging into my Ethereum wallet which I created last year. I saved only the keystone file because of a past experience where I lost huge amount of money by saving my private keys. I decided to open this new wallet which I use my keystone file to access about two days ago and the feedback I received got me disturbed. Initially, I thought this was just a little glitch and I could get it solved but it happens my funds are gone forever.

I reported this in several other communities and it seems this has been the fate of others as well. Going forward I want us all to take the advice of not using Myetherwallet platform in creating and accessing our ethereum wallets.  I think there is a loophole with their platform and hackers are exploiting it at some point in time and the saddest thing is that they are not aware of this loophole. If you have ever been a victim of this situation please support this post with just a comment just to warn other forum members to stay away from using MyEtherwallet and if your funds are valuable to you I suggest you start moving them one after the other!

Below is the image of feedback that I get when I try accessing my wallet. I have open this wallet for like 3 times with this same Keystore file. All my other Keystore files are working just the one with the money lmao.

Thank you for this as of now I didn't experience this on my wallet did you try check if it is your wallet for mew as you mention all your wallet is working and just the only one who did not function maybe there was an error on your keystore or maybe it was not the keystore for the mew by the way you educate newbie for not using mew.

► ARCS ◄ ♦ ARCS - The New World Token (*Listed on KuCoin) ♦ ► ARCS ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website|Twitter|Medium|Telegram|Whitepaper
HunterUnchained

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 11:53:56 PM

Well, this applies to all wallets, One has to be extremely careful to avoid misplacing sensitive information and In so doing, exposing your wallet to several potential hacks. This is the most reason why i prefer trust wallet. Trust wallet offers everything from security down to simplicity and great usability. Using trust wallet minimizes a great deal of insecurity.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: