Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:22:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't forget to backup your computers.  (Read 160 times)
Kuffy (OP)

Activity: 127
Merit: 31

The real Jet Cash.

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2020, 07:40:04 PM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

This is a mantra that is constantly being chanted on the forums, but people are still not doing it. This include me. I've just caught my foot in the power cable to my notebook (I'm in KFC at the moment).and the computer crashed down onto the floor as it was loading a thread from Bitcoin Talk. I'm by a window, and it hit the lower frame just above floor level. Panic set in, as I must be about 3 months behind with my backups. Fortunately, apart from a small chip out of the plastic lid casing, it doesn't appear to have done any damage.

I bought a 2Tb backup drive some rime ago, but it isn't any good if you don't use it. It's so easy to copy your data, including the blockchain and your wallet, so do it regularly. You may not be as lucky as I was. There are other problems as well. Your computer could be stolen, or you could spill coffee or worse over it. and I haven't even mentioned mechanical or software failure.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 02, 2020, 09:00:40 PM

Why are you so awful at limbo? You should have countless years of practice by now 🤣

I only normally back up the important stuff but I'm wondering why a lot of the time...

I bought 2x8tb backup drives and 1x5tb one and my laptops normally have between 1tb and 500gb on them so I gcoulf theoretically keep doing full backups but you often get into issues with system failures from it (when things don't correspond to being the appropriate size).

There's the additional thing of, if you have a hard drive, you're supposed to rewrite everything back to it every 3 years before it gets too demsgnetised to function and I doubt many people do that...

If you're bad at backing up data, try booting from a Linux image file the next time you start trying to use your computer and see how well you do at remember g the important documents you need...

Where there's a blame there's a claim... You're lucky the cleaner didn't trip over that!
cryiotic

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2020, 10:18:49 PM

Yes, it is very important. If something happens to your laptop, you will not be able to recover your data. Every day I copy my data to always be ready for anything to happen. It just seems that it will never happen to you, in fact it’s not true.
I dropped my laptop several times and thank God all the necessary data was pre-copied.
dvmmayowa

Activity: 122
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2020, 10:37:50 PM

This is a mantra that is constantly being chanted on the forums, but people are still not doing it. This include me. I've just caught my foot in the power cable to my notebook (I'm in KFC at the moment).and the computer crashed down onto the floor as it was loading a thread from Bitcoin Talk. I'm by a window, and it hit the lower frame just above floor level. Panic set in, as I must be about 3 months behind with my backups. Fortunately, apart from a small chip out of the plastic lid casing, it doesn't appear to have done any damage.

I bought a 2Tb backup drive some rime ago, but it isn't any good if you don't use it. It's so easy to copy your data, including the blockchain and your wallet, so do it regularly. You may not be as lucky as I was. There are other problems as well. Your computer could be stolen, or you could spill coffee or worse over it. and I haven't even mentioned mechanical or software failure.
I am very bad at creating back ups for my files and even on my pc, that shit looks kinda stressful to me and i regretted it sometimes last year when my PC crashed and i had my veil wallet on it with coins worthing $1000.
I was deeply pained but couldn't just cry over the spilt milk, so ever since then, I have always been very careful backing up my important files.
boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 03, 2020, 11:14:33 PM

It's a very usual practice to backup files that you have especially if you are a corporate person or you do rely your jobs and tasks on your computer. Someone who's been into the corporate world and has schedules or meetings or even the important documents of your company, you should have it on a backup.

A flash drive will do if you're for the docs and images or small important files but it's more than that and it include systems, videos and other larger files then get an external hdd.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
peter0425

Activity: 2646
Merit: 446

View Profile
February 04, 2020, 03:11:44 AM

back ups always required and only Noob don't do this one.because just like what OP mentioned if there is a unexpected things happen specially for students and office working for their things?

let us not be very confident in our PC/Laptop because accident may happen in each time we don't really expected.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
big_zeppelin

Activity: 31
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 04, 2020, 04:44:56 AM

If there is information on your laptop that doesn't serve to be lost, then you just need to backup your data. It doesn't take much time, but if something happens to your laptop, then your data will be safe. And this is the most important thing. Because the laptop can be repaired, and your data will be lost forever.
Negotiation

Activity: 1050
Merit: 264

Need a Helping hand? https://tinyurl.com/2p94uabm

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2020, 08:50:42 AM

You have rightly said that every one of our computers should be backed up while doing this because now the number of scammers and hackers has increased so it is very difficult to say when that will happen. Many people face many problems if we do not back up. I work with laptops and keep back up and check back frequently to protect my data while working.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
View ArchiveReport to moderator
Naida_BR

Activity: 980
Merit: 62

View Profile
February 04, 2020, 09:06:36 AM

That's a great reminder.
I don't do backups to my computers as usual as I need to do and this is something very disastrous as I keep a lot of information in there without saving them on another device.
Let's do a backup now!  Grin
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2020, 03:24:22 PM

And this is why i love desktop computers. So heavy you can't take them out and therefore unlikely to fall and break apart, or be stolen. I think a portable should always be considered a secondary device, never primary.

As for backups, just copy the data you create yourself. Don't bother with programs or things that can be downloaded or bought. It would be better if the backup was stored encrypted, but lets leave that for another day.

You would be surprised how old this "mantra" is. I think its as old as computers, especially when personal computers started appearing in the late 70ies. While media and methods have changed a bit, the recommendation remains the same.

This time you were lucky. Are you willing to tempt the odds again? Oh, external hard drives (with spinning discs inside) don't like getting hit, even falling from vertical position into horizontal may damage them, and i clearly remember a 2" Samsung external dying after falling from a table. Once again, things are so safe inside a sturdy desktop or server computer case...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
February 05, 2020, 05:08:52 PM

Wait you don't need terabyte of drives to get access to your crypto wallet if your crypto wallet device got broken.All you need is a small pendrive where you can store the private keys of your wallet and restore them on any device if needed and no need to regular backup just one time and you are safe.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: