Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 07:09:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Games crashing after I've used CGMiner  (Read 436 times)
dmbf (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:38:43 PM

Let me say first that I have no problems normally with mining and get about 480KH/s from my 6950 (unlocked to 6970) @880/1350Mhz, with no H/W errors.

However, if I've been mining and then stop and play a game, it will invariably lock up the PC after 30-60mins and I have to hard reset. There's no BSOD, just everything freezes as it is. If I reboot after mining, before gaming, I never have any crashes.

I've been using 850/1300Mhz for gaming as I found it unstable at higher clocks, which I'd accepted but now seems strange considering that CGMiner must be pushing the card harder than any game and that has no problems at 880/1350Mhz.

I've also noticed that after I've been gaming, if I try and start mining it's stuck at 20-30KH/s and again I have to reboot to get it working normally again. I'm sure this has only started happening very recently and I had no problems mining after gaming before.

Is there anything I can do to "reset" the GPU or drivers, so that I don't have to keep rebooting and closing everything I have open? Or is there a fix for this, so that I don't have to do anything?

I'm running Cat 12.8 as I've found it's the most efficient (for gaming) with my 6950 but there's not a lot in it between that and Cat 13.9 so I don't mind upgrading again if that's the solution.

Incidentally, I just did a fresh install of Win8.1 and was gaming in that OC'd to 880/1350 (by accident, I forgot what was stable in Win7) and that locked up. I haven't mined or even installed any mining software under Win8, so this is nothing to do with CGMiner but just shows that for some strange reason, mining but not gaming is fine at those clocks.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 08:29:32 PM

try to reinstall drivers ... but perhaps there might be some problem with your GPU...

Try to reinstall GPU drivers ... maybe it will help.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:42:42 PM

It's complex...

Depends how you unlocked your 6950. If you edited an original 6950 BIOS with RBE128 and used the "Unlock Shaders" option, then it's usually fine. If you however just flashed a 6970 BIOS on it, I'm sorry but I believe you may have damaged it. The issue is that the 6970 BIOS comes with higher voltage, for core and maybe for vram. Also maybe you didn't force an high fan speed (which cools the rams and power components too) an didn't look at VRM temperatures while mining.

Then, being able to reach an higher core while scrypt mining than gaming is possible. The processing core and memory controller are held back by memory latency and have to wait (in terms of nanoseconds at a time).

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██