Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:23:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FinCen Deputy Director remarks on Cryptocurrency  (Read 277 times)
TravelMug (OP)

Activity: 2632
Merit: 833

View Profile
February 06, 2020, 11:40:44 PM

Prepared Remarks of FinCEN Deputy Director Jamal El-Hindi, delivered at the SIFMA 20th Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Financial Crimes Conference

On that point, let me take this opportunity to emphasize that actors working in these new systems for moving value are subject to the same AML principles and requirements as other financial institutions.  Social media and messaging platforms and others now focusing on the establishment of cryptocurrencies cannot turn a blind eye to illicit transactions that they may be fostering.  As we’ve said on other occasions, to the extent that the financial sector chooses to move forward with the opportunities that some of these emerging systems present, we are not going to allow it to slide backward on the protections and appropriate transparency that we have collectively worked so hard to weave into the financial system.

We will judge emerging financial institutions on whether and how they make their systems resilient to, and report on, money laundering, terrorist financing, sanctions evasion, human and narco-trafficking, and other illicit activity.

Make no mistake about it, whether it is through existing rules and guidance or future rules and guidance, we will regulate in this space consistent with the existing principles underlying the BSA/AML regime.  Industry will have to develop its new products and services to ensure appropriate transparency for law enforcement and national security purposes.  And where that doesn’t happen, we have the ability to protect our financial system. 

https://www.fincen.gov/news/speeches/prepared-remarks-fincen-deputy-director-jamal-el-hindi-delivered-sifma-20th-anti

Based on what the Deputy Director says, I interpret it that there will be full regulations as far as crypto-currencies goes. It will be implemented and will be sweep. Although each countries has it's own set of regulatory framework, but with this statement, we might see a single governing laws.

Thoughts?

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
February 07, 2020, 01:22:57 AM

Based on what the Deputy Director says, I interpret it that there will be full regulations as far as crypto-currencies goes. It will be implemented and will be sweep. Although each countries has it's own set of regulatory framework, but with this statement, we might see a single governing laws.

Thoughts?

I don't think he's alluding to that. The Deputy Director was just talking tough.

FinCEN already published pretty sweeping guidance on VASPs last year. I believe it was the first time since 2013 that they had done so. Aside from the occasional enforcement action, I don't expect to hear anything new from them anytime soon.

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1444

View Profile
February 07, 2020, 01:55:17 AM

@TravelMug. I speculate that there will be more unwanted and stricter KYC demanded on users. Exchanges and other services are the chokepoint from the cryptospace to the fiatspace and vice versa. They will certainly do more choking.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
February 07, 2020, 06:04:47 AM

Well, if a Blockchain or a decentralized platform does the jobs outlined in the statement, there will be no need for inferences. We will monitor ourselves by the way. If a government demands transparency, itself must be transparent so that we will together make the world a better place.

I see some interesting conditions given  to Blockchain/decentralized ecosystem. That will will probably work best on very transparent platforms. When a decentralized community receives credible info (with strong proofs) on governments or persons breaking the laws, we will we definitely apply needed sanctions.

We probably need only the activities of security agencies on decentralized platforms to be partially or fully hidden. But the data/informations they generate will need to be very immutablity, just incase there is need to go through it in the future.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 07, 2020, 09:04:19 AM

Thoughts?

Social media and messaging platforms and others now focusing on the establishment of cryptocurrencies

Cryptocurrencies are lumped here with social media (and by social media they probably mean facebook with its Libra), and messaging platforms, so here they probably have Wechat Pay and the like in mind. Exchanging or dealing with cryptocurrencies themselves is already pretty tightly regulated, as evidenced by the link squatter has posted above.

Signature space available for rent.
Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1658

View Profile
February 07, 2020, 11:22:17 PM

Thoughts?

I don't think he's alluding to that. The Deputy Director was just talking tough.

FinCEN already published pretty sweeping guidance on VASPs last year. I believe it was the first time since 2013 that they had done so. Aside from the occasional enforcement action, I don't expect to hear anything new from them anytime soon.

Yep, they just wanted to send the message again and to reiterate their stance and action on cryptocurrency, from exchanges to Bitcoin ATM's. So doesn't surprised me at all, the thing is, as regulations are already set in full motion already.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
DarkDays
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1189

View Profile
February 07, 2020, 11:45:52 PM

Oh look, another idiot who puts cryptocurrencies in the context of "money laundering, terrorist financing, sanctions evasion, etc"

Ridiculous.

Do these people not know that cash money are far more untraceable than most cryptocurrencies, and that it is used for the bulk of money laundering efforts?

I'm done paying attention to what any of these idiots say, none of them are ever truly up to speed on the current situation and still have thoughts of Bitcoin in its earliest days.

Stop paying them attention and they'll soon go away.
blckhawk

Activity: 1498
Merit: 328

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 08, 2020, 12:15:26 AM

Do these people not know that cash money are far more untraceable than most cryptocurrencies, and that it is used for the bulk of money laundering efforts?
Paper cash might be used that way, such as money laundering, etc., but banks and other entities utilizing cash money store logs digitally, including one's identity records. Even if the money is dispersed, there's a greater percentage of conviction once identities have been revealed, and it interconnects upon investigation, solving a case.

Unlike in cryptocurrencies that is pretty much straighforward in most cases, transact here, stay anonymous as long as you don't participate in any third-party implementing AML/KYC.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1444

View Profile
February 08, 2020, 01:28:25 AM
Merited by malevolent (1)

Thoughts?

Yep, they just wanted to send the message again and to reiterate their stance and action on cryptocurrency, from exchanges to Bitcoin ATM's. So doesn't surprised me at all, the thing is, as regulations are already set in full motion already.

It might also not be in full motion, however. Exchanges and other services might add more KYC from users because they are ordered by the regulators.

I predict that they will begin asking for income tax statements, proof of employment and other employment information. The cryptospace might not be a place for the unemployed and the unbanked in a few years hehehe.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
chip1994

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile
February 08, 2020, 04:06:15 AM

Prepared Remarks of FinCEN Deputy Director Jamal El-Hindi, delivered at the SIFMA 20th Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Financial Crimes Conference

On that point, let me take this opportunity to emphasize that actors working in these new systems for moving value are subject to the same AML principles and requirements as other financial institutions.  Social media and messaging platforms and others now focusing on the establishment of cryptocurrencies cannot turn a blind eye to illicit transactions that they may be fostering.  As we’ve said on other occasions, to the extent that the financial sector chooses to move forward with the opportunities that some of these emerging systems present, we are not going to allow it to slide backward on the protections and appropriate transparency that we have collectively worked so hard to weave into the financial system.

We will judge emerging financial institutions on whether and how they make their systems resilient to, and report on, money laundering, terrorist financing, sanctions evasion, human and narco-trafficking, and other illicit activity.

Make no mistake about it, whether it is through existing rules and guidance or future rules and guidance, we will regulate in this space consistent with the existing principles underlying the BSA/AML regime.  Industry will have to develop its new products and services to ensure appropriate transparency for law enforcement and national security purposes.  And where that doesn’t happen, we have the ability to protect our financial system. 

https://www.fincen.gov/news/speeches/prepared-remarks-fincen-deputy-director-jamal-el-hindi-delivered-sifma-20th-anti

Thoughts?
In fact, this is not too new and governments are setting up new laws to prevent people from buying and selling crypto in the country. In Asia, there are already some such strict countries and those who pay with crypto will have to go to jail with money laundering offenses.
2 days ago I heard about having crypto payments in some European countries and the total volume was up to $ 4 billion and that would not be a small number. If hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs realized that they could launder money to evade taxes in this way, the world economy would certainly be in big trouble. I don't want the economic crisis to happen, it's too painful for our years of efforts.

████████████████████
       ██████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
   ████               ▀██████████
  ████  ██████████████  ██████████
████  ████████████████  ██████████▄
████  ██████████████████  █████████▀
██  ████████████████████  ███████
    ███          █████████  █████
   ███  ███████   ███████  █████