Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:45:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining for dummies... Is permanent internet access needed?  (Read 2279 times)
Pygy (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 02:12:41 PM

I plan to build a 5970-based mining rig, but I need to know one thing: Does the miner require permanent net access? If not, how often should it be connected?

I'm wary of the fan noise, and would prefer to install my miner in the basement, but it would be out of the range of my Wifi router, so I'd need a pair of ethernet-power line adapters.

Thanks in advance :-).
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 02:50:21 PM

Yes, it must be connected 24/7
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 03:38:49 PM

I'm wary of the fan noise, and would prefer to install my miner in the basement, but it would be out of the range of my Wifi router, so I'd need a pair of ethernet-power line adapters.

how far out of range?  whomping up a simple pringles can antenna could give you the needed reach
Pygy (OP)

Activity: 47

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 05:39:55 PM

The Pringle antenna won't do the trick, my Wifi router doesn't have separate antennas.

What is the bandwith consumption?
wb3

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 05:43:01 PM

ever heard about UTP5 cable?

No, but I heard of Cat 5, guess its a geographic thing.

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 07:27:20 PM

The Pringle antenna won't do the trick, my Wifi router doesn't have separate antennas.

What is the bandwith consumption?

i was meaning on computer you're connecting, not the router.

as for bandwidth, my bandwidth monitor shows for my miners (GPU and CPU, both running in the deepbit pool) and client a total of 470MB downloaded and 1012MB uploaded over the past month.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 10:03:43 PM

If you don't mind a small investment, Alfa network adapters are good choice.
For the b/g network I'd recommend: http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-73/Alfa-AWUS036H-1000mW-USB/Detail.bok
and for the n network : http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-158/Alfa-AWUS036NH-2000mW-1000mW/Detail.bok

These adapters should be plenty, but in case you still find yourself out of range, there's a cheap and cheerful 9dB antenna for $9.99: http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-63/Antenna-9dbi-Alfa-RP-dsh-SMA/Detail.bok
m86

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 11:08:56 PM

A router like the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 might be worth looking at if you want to expand your wireless range, ever. It has a built-in amp and will work smashingly with Tomato (or DD-WRT, I suppose).

Also, personally, I would go with an EnGenius EUB-362 EXT over an ALFA Network AWUS036H. The device is generally a better performer for weaker networks (based on my experience, anyway). You would be limited to NDISwrapper usage only in Linux, however, since the device uses the (currently unsupported) Atheros AR5523+AR2112 chipset.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 12:18:56 AM

A router like the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 might be worth looking at if you want to expand your wireless range, ever.

I recently got one of these, as they are suggested hardware for a PirateBox.  The device is impressive.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: