Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:03:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on relevant subjects for this area  (Read 122 times)
a1un (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 03:12:18 PM

So I've realized over the past three years that this has the potential to really change the world and I'd really like to be a contributor. I have a background in economics and enjoy programming for fun. I'm therefore going to undertake a year long course on Computer Science to improve my general technical expertise. In the future I would like to build stuff on top of Bitcoin. So with this in mind, which of these subjects be the most ideal to focus on? (I can pick around 7)

• Computer Architecture

Computer Security

Concurrency and Multi-Core Architectures

Constraint Programming

Distributed Systems

Principles of Computer Communication Systems

Software Architecture

Software Engineering

Web Technologies

Machine Learning

Critical Systems Engineering

Database Management Systems

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10757

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2020, 03:47:37 PM

<…>
The choice should be rather more related to your personal areas of interest, alongside what you have in mind in terms of "building stuff on top of Bitcoin" (as you say).

Some of the topics you mention are more hardware related, whilst other are software related. Then some are more orientated to managing systems, software programing or BD management. Although it’s good to have a good general overview of all areas, if you go down this road you will probably end-up focusing on a subset of them. For example, if you have to choose only seven of those modules, and have a keen interest in programing, then Computer Arquitecture may result less appealing. In addition, the module names are rather succinct to determine the exact nature of what it’s about (i.e. constraint programing seems a rather broad expression).

On top of that, there is the relation on how you plan to use your background along the line. Having a background in economics may lead you to try to scout for something more related with the management side of things, rather than deep core programming. That is something you have to find out, where the programming knowledge would help to get a better grasp and understanding of what lies under the hood.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2020, 06:49:14 PM

If you are a programmer - here is a vid on how ro build a blockchain using Python.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FwBB6vhilU

If you have an economics background, then you need to study central banks, and the impact of fractional reserve  banking.. There are lots of videos about these. Also you should take part in some of the more mature discussion here in Bitcoin Talk.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 07:04:20 PM

In the future I would like to build stuff on top of Bitcoin.

What sort of stuff? If you want to build services, you should learn Web Technologies, Security, Database Management Systems, Software Engineering. If you are thinking about building protocols, like for example contributing to the development of Lightning Network, then you can pick Distributed Systems and Cryptography.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
February 09, 2020, 08:47:13 PM

If you are asking for job purposes it will depend on the career path you are aiming to take since generally just having a computer science related degree is enough to get you going with the job, the courses you will take now will just be considered the fundamentals you have on taking your job/career. The others which you won't be wasted since all of those can be learn during or on your job. Don't worry about this too much and take the subjects you are interested in since even if you get accepted on a job they will still train you with additional lessons that may include what you have missed during your course. And also just think about it this way IT and computer science related courses are really on the job and they'll take anyone who is capable and who knows what they are talking about and they'll try to train you to be better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: