Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:42:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin block size limit  (Read 377 times)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
February 15, 2020, 06:47:59 PM

I can not believe that there are still people talking about this in 2020, especially after seeing miserable adoption of LN, the same as bitsquare or bisq today. The problem is not the technical part, it is the decision making ability of the dev team, they made one after another wrong decisions

As predicted, segwit and LN has permanantly polluted bitcoin blockchain and there is no way to remove them

you are conflating "miserable adoption" with "polluting the blockchain".......why?

People are simply using other blockchains that have ample transaction capacity without worrying about the insane complexly of LN.

i'm fine with that. altcoins---like any offchain protocol or sidechain---offer weaker security guarantees at a cheaper price. that's the free market at work, and this situation benefits bitcoin users.

figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
February 15, 2020, 08:32:30 PM
Merited by Khaos77 (5), Kalemder (2)

People are simply using other blockchains that have ample transaction capacity without worrying about the insane complexly of LN.

i'm fine with that. altcoins---like any offchain protocol or sidechain---offer weaker security guarantees at a cheaper price. that's the free market at work, and it's good for bitcoin users too.
Actually it is not good for bitcoin.

What you are saying is that ,
it is ok if the majority of the car buyers buy Toyota and Chevy vehicles and quit buying Ford vehicles.

it is okay. i trust free markets. if another coin overtakes BTC, so what? Roll Eyes

altcoins free up block space for bitcoin users = cheaper bitcoin fees. altcoins also offer bitcoin users cheaper options where they don't need bitcoin's security guarantees. this is good for bitcoin users.

you are just taking the fearmongering position of an altcoin shill. a more reasonable position is the one held by philipma1957:

Quote from: philipma1957
I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.

if the majority of the crypto buyers buy Ethereum and Litecoin/Doge coins and quit buying Bitcoins.

let me know when that happens. Wink

i think you are plainly wrong that people will stop buying bitcoins because there are cheaper/less secure options. the market has proven over and over that bitcoin users are willing to pay high fees and/or wait for longer confirmation times.

but even if you were correct, that wouldn't be a legitimate reason to weaken bitcoin's security model by bloating blocks or speeding up block times. bitcoin is not here to pander to peoples' desire for free shit. if you don't want to pay for adequate security, you can pay the consequences instead: Two Miners Execute 51% Attack on Bitcoin Cash

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
February 16, 2020, 06:47:56 AM

im all for free choice.

but to say things like
if you dont like bitcoin 'f**k off' to another network
if you want a better experience try an altcoin
altcoins are great because they take users away, this is good for bitcoin

is stupid excuses that i would hear people in Myspace say
if you dont like myspace sign up to facebook
if you want a better expereince sign up to facebook
facebook is great because it takes users away from myspace. this is good for myspace

i hope you see the stupidity of that mindset
rather than trying to get bitcoin to be really practical as a payment system ON THE BITCOIN NETWORK. seems too many are  saying its ok to keep bitcoin limited and to promote altcoins and other services instead.. (facepalm)

i still wait for the 600k tx day potential to be surpassed.. something  calculated in 2010. and 4 years ago now promise to offer so much more tx capacity
i still wait for cheaper transactions. yet all i see is the code which show devs have X4 legacy and not / 4 any tx format.
transactions are not sub pennies/cents.

people think paying $0.50 is acceptable yet 4 years ago devs said they wanted to add new features that would scale bitcoin and make transactions cheaper(than the max of 0.20 back then).

all i see is hard drives filling up by 1.7x but not getting 1.7x transaction amounts compared to 2017

the reason people still talk about it 4 years on is because real statists and hard drive data show the capacity 'scaling' has not been fixed, nor has the transaction fee discount actually result in sub penny tx's. nor have we seen many other promises met.. so yea people will still talk about it

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: