Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:50:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monero AMD GPU not working  (Read 179 times)
BFL87 (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2020, 04:01:58 PM

Hello everybody

I'm back into mining after 2 yrs, I'm pretty affascinated by these CPU and GPU mining crypto, but unlikely I haven't been successful into mining using my GPU.
I read a lot of articles on the web but after spending a lot of time burning my eyes on the screen I didn't find out why it's not working.
To be clear this is my set up:

HP AY110NL Laptop
AMD Radeon R7 m340
12GB Ram
i7 7400U

XMrig 5.5.3

What happens is that it mines but with a ridiculus 8Hs...

If anybody knows how to troubleshoot this I'll happy to follow his tips, plus is it possible on that laptop to set up an external GPU, cuz I play some Warcraft and FIFA every now and then. Cool

sech1

Activity: 116
Merit: 66

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2020, 04:50:12 PM
Merited by nc50lc (2)

AMD Radeon R7 m340
This GPU has only 1GB memory, so it has to use system memory to access 2GB dataset for RandomX, plus there is no optimized GCN ASM code for it, so XMRig has to run generic OpenCL code on it. So 8 h/s is about right for this GPU. It's better to disable OpenCL in config.json and mine only with CPU.
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
February 11, 2020, 05:09:59 PM

You are mining on the laptop which is not profitable and it will end up damage your laptop if you continue to mine Monero. I suggest you if you are going to mine with GPU build your own RIG with well known GPU which can mine altcoins or Monero.

You can use this website https://whattomine.com/ to calculate your profit and most of the GPU mention there are those recommended GPU to buy to build your own mining rig.

Useless if you continue mining on the laptop it won't never be profitable.

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
BFL87 (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2020, 11:33:35 PM

Thank you so much!!!
Now I understand, I'm planning to build my own rig, but before that I want to get some expertise in GPU mining.
I thought that a nice experiment could be mounting an external GPU on another cheap Lenovo laptop I have, so if some issues comes up I can learn how to throubleshoot them before investing 1000£ in building my own RIG.
Do you guys consider a Radeon R9 270X a good one?
I'd like to go for the best Hashes/Cost ratio now before investing my whole budget.
Which one do you suggest?

Herry Toms

Activity: 236
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 12, 2020, 11:18:26 AM

Well, after RandomX monero is not much profitable for GPU's, and your GPU memory is pretty low you can try mining Cryptonight-GPU(RYO) which is a core dependent mining algorithm who don't care about GPU memory so I hope this card can work on it.                                                                                                                                                                                   
BFL87 (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2020, 12:41:48 PM

Well, after RandomX monero is not much profitable for GPU's, and your GPU memory is pretty low you can try mining Cryptonight-GPU(RYO) which is a core dependent mining algorithm who don't care about GPU memory so I hope this card can work on it.                                                                                                                                                                                   

ok thank you very much for the advise, but I'm a rookie in alt crypto, so how can I mine cryptonight-GPU(RYO)?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: