Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:50:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The universal question...  (Read 914 times)
tsume90 (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 05:49:49 PM

What is bitcoin to you? Is it simply a means to line your pockets, or do you truly use it for the purpose in which it was created?(a way to pay something/someone anonymously)

At this point it just seems like the masses are flocking to bitcoins because it's a way to line their pockets with little to no effort at all. Treating it as stock rather then currency of any kind.

Personally I dabble in bitcoins because I find it interesting, don't really believe in the whole anonymous thing because the world is screwed up the way it is because of anonymity.
But the general idea is rather intriguing. With that being said, what does bitcoin(s) mean to you?
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:57:00 PM

For me it's more of a store of value, safe from inflation and from being manipulated by the whims of a short-sighted government. The fact that it's decentralised, that it serves equally well the interest of everybody who uses it and no one more than others, greatly appeals to me. I do also use it as a currency though, and would use it a lot more if more merchants accepted it.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 06:07:38 PM

For me Bitcoin isn't about profits (although I've done very well having gone "all-in" before the china spike), and it isn't about anonymity (it's pseudonymous anyway, not anonymous).

For me, Bitcoin is about cutting out the banksters and oligarchs that are ruining global society. Bitcoin is the most subversive technology on the planet right now, and that's why I like it.

Food for thought: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__m-w4N7NI

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
HorseCoin

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:12:48 PM

B1a888c92e   Shocked
jdany

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Inspired

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:13:23 PM

Half investment, half being a part of something I believe is a really great and innovative technology.

Massimo80

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:50:27 PM

It's a new and really promising form of currency, but as long as its exchange rate keeps fluctuating so wildly it can't really be used for commerce and it will be mostly the realm of investors/speculators.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:10:30 PM

Two things:

1)  It looks like an EXCELLENT way to move money out of a country

2)  The speculative potential is most interesting (although I am down some $600, /LOL)

And I did buy a gold coin once with some BTC, not the best price, but there ARE legitimate gold coin sellers out there who deliver gold for BTC.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:23:04 PM

Bitcoin has primarily become for me the most exciting show on Earth. I do have some but I've mainly been glued to the constant developments.

On a financial level I find the complete decoupling from the existing financial system the most appealing aspect.
backtrackit

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:24:45 PM

For me it's a chance to earn some money and fuck off out of this country and make a new life for myself. Just wish I could earn more so it be quicker :/.

lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:27:00 PM

Bitcoin has primarily become for me the most exciting show on Earth. I do have some but I've mainly been glued to the constant developments.

I agree! It feels exactly like witnessing internet's development, from an übergeek's experiment to something that's used everyday by a billion individuals.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 07:38:55 PM

Cryptocurrency is very simply put, a much better, smarter, more efficient, more modern way to do money than fiat is(soon to be was).

The problem of hyperinflation has been solved. This invention is already ushering in a new era of innovation and creativity in the financial realm, as we speak!!

I live in NYC and let me tell you, if you are hanging with the tech-savvy crowd, people are talking, people are thinking and putting together businesses around this technology RIGHT. NOW.

The ones who get it right, and do so early are going to be tycoons in the digital currency era. The ones who cling to fiat too long will be left in the dust, and there will be no going back.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
tsume90 (OP)

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 07:49:59 PM

Cryptocurrency is very simply put, a much better, smarter, more efficient, more modern way to do money than fiat is(soon to be was).

The problem of hyperinflation has been solved. This invention is already ushering in a new era of innovation and creativity in the financial realm, as we speak!!

I live in NYC and let me tell you, if you are hanging with the tech-savvy crowd, people are talking, people are thinking and putting together businesses around this technology RIGHT. NOW.

The ones who get it right, and do so early are going to be tycoons in the digital currency era. The ones who cling to fiat too long will be left in the dust, and there will be no going back.

This isn't going to happen, at least not in our life time. Reason being. Unless major corporations like M$, Entergy, Demco, Sony, etc. etc. Get behind bitcoin. It'll never be used on a massive scale in the real world. People will still need fiat currency in order to conduct everyday life. It may grow to an even playing field, but I don't see digital currency outdoing real currency.

Another reason being, if someone screws you over and takes your digital currency from under you by illegal means. There's no way to get it back. If that happens with real money, then you have a bank/cc issuer to yank that money back from them. You can never do that with digital currency.

Small things like this is one of the reasons why I'm pretty sure digital currency will never be as big as people are hoping it will. Not saying it won't be widely used though.
wallstreetcoiner

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:02:56 PM

What is bitcoin to you? Is it simply a means to line your pockets, or do you truly use it for the purpose in which it was created?

Bitcoin has opened the door to the possibility of a practical decentralized currency with a clear potential of replacing traditional payment systems.

We believe that Bitcoin will become mainstream within 2 years along with probably two other digital currencies. Much in the way that mastercard, visa, and discover are used today, there will be three main digital currencies used by consumers.

Based on our extensive research, we feel the most likely trio by 2016 will be (in order): Bitcoin (BTC), Goldcoin (GLD), and Litecoin (LTC). Goldcoin offers a unique investment opportunity as it is best positioned to provide the greatest gains during this period.

Our recommendation is to distribute investment evenly across these three currencies thus balancing exposure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: