Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:09:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Subsidies and Network Effects  (Read 1368 times)
cunicula (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 09:09:57 AM

It doesn't make sense for business A to work with bitcoin unless other business B, C, and D are doing so.
The same situation applies for businesses B, C, and D. They need more general take-up of the currency in order to be viable.

There are two possible equilibria here:

The Good Equilibrium
Businesses A, B, C, and D operate with bitcoin.

The Bad Equilibrium
Businesses A, B, C, and D do not operate with bitcoin.

The standard solution for moving from the bad equilibrium to the good equilibrium is to distribute subsides to all business that are open to bitcoin business, essentially rewarding them for contributing to the commercial network. The cheap way to do this is with a large pre-mine. Nonetheless, I'm pretty certain that almost everyone here would be against this.

Why the opposition to subsidies?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 09:46:29 AM

The network effect you write is not correct. Customer is also a part of network. As far as only one company can provide product for me and have benefit in bitcoin, it is enough reason to use bitcoin. Network effect between companies are smaller than the network effect of the whole network.
cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 09:57:03 AM

Some subsidy for consumers makes sense to. Consumer subsidies are already available through the mining process, however. Similar business subsidies are not available. Applicable models suggest that the lion's share of subsidies be distributed to businesses not consumers.  See this for example:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.80.35&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Ignoring whether I am correct or not, generally ignorant, or an asshat, etc....

Why do arguments for subsidies encounter resistance from the bitcoin community?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 10:24:02 AM

You can subsidize whomever you want. 

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 11:06:55 AM

I will not respond to off-topic posts.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 03:58:05 PM

Bitcoin is, itself, a subsidy to businesses that are smart enough to use it. Bitcoin enables higher profit margins.

This is why it will be adopted over time, and will overcome the network effect.
Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 04:13:04 PM
Last edit: November 19, 2011, 04:56:08 PM by Serith

Bitcoin is, itself, a subsidy to businesses that are smart enough to use it. Bitcoin enables higher profit margins.

This is why it will be adopted over time, and will overcome the network effect.

That is true, but it doesn't mean that there is no way to speed up the process. For example, adoption rate could be increased with an application that enables automatic salary payments in bitcoins, because that would save a lot of money for a company and encourage use of bitcoins instead of fiat money.
cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 04:16:24 PM

Okay, if you believe that bitcoin will grow organically, then the argument for subsidies isn't that persuasive (though still valid as Serith points out).

However, I think that many people believe that bitcoin will likely fail even though it could be successful if 'bootstrapped' to wide adoption.

Does anyone here believe this? Are people who believe this also opposed to subsidies for bitcoin businesses?
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 04:52:26 PM

Does anyone here believe this? Are people who believe this also opposed to subsidies for bitcoin businesses?
Why limit it to bitcoin businesses?

Somebody should create a website where you can get a few bitcoins for free, to subsidize adoption.

You mean give a significant amount of bitcoins to the 'important' businesses?

Who decides which are 'important' ?

How do you make sure somebody isn't creating fake businesses just to get free bitcoins ?

If you want to subsidize bitcoin businesses and have answers to those questions, then I heartily encourage you to go for it!

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 04:57:33 PM

Gavin is the biggest subsidy to everyone =)
cunicula (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:09:07 AM

Why limit it to bitcoin businesses?
Somebody should create a website where you can get a few bitcoins for free, to subsidize adoption.

You mean give a significant amount of bitcoins to the 'important' businesses?

Who decides which are 'important' ?

How do you make sure somebody isn't creating fake businesses just to get free bitcoins ?

If you want to subsidize bitcoin businesses and have answers to those questions, then I heartily encourage you to go for it!

Two Responses:

A. Gavin points out an important reason for opposition to subsidies. Subsidies require an individual or small group to exercise arbitrary power (e.g. pre-mine 3 million coins and slowly dole them out to whichever businesses seem likely to make a large contribution). The individual or group would need to actively screen businesses to make sure that they are legit (e.g. order from them, solicit reviews from trusted sources, etc.). I can see that many people take a negative view of arbitrary, command economy-style arrangements like this. I think these kind of interventions are necessary to ensure a good equilibrium outcome.

B. Gavin asks: Why not just subsidize everyone via the faucet?

My answer: One should do this. However, faucet subsidies are not enough. Consumer subsidies and merchant subsidies are complements rather than substitutes.

Explanation:
Subsidies for Merchants
M1) 10 BTC/day drips to merchant conditional on his maintenance of an attractive BTC storefront
    [this subsidy increases the supply of attractive BTC storefronts. The subsidy differs from a consumer subsidy because it is larger and you need to have a store open to be eligible to receive it.]

Subsidies for Consumers
C1) 1 BTC drops from faucet into wallet of Consumer A
C2) Consumer A decides to either a) trade 1 BTC for goods b) trade 1 BTC for USD c) hold on to 1 BTC for speculative purposes

If Consumer A makes choice (C2a), then faucet subsidies encourage merchants to supply BTC goods and services. That's great! If Consumer A chooses (C2b) or (C2c), then faucet money will leak out and fail to encourage merchants to supply anything. That sucks! However, one can intervene to make the faucet subsidy more effective. If more merchants are subsidized, then more attractive storefronts will exist and consumers will be more likely to choose C2a. Accordingly, the provision of merchant subsidies makes faucet-style subsidies more effective. This is why merchant and consumer subsidies are complements rather than substitutes.

For a mathematics/statistics heavy exposition, which explains why merchants should probably get the lion's share of the money, you can look at the paper I linked to above. It is about ACH banking transfers, but the principles are applicable to bitcoin.

amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:41:57 AM

I think if something needs subsidies, it's not a good area of investment. There are niche markets that bitcoin has an advantage in right now, meaning a profit motive exists to use bitcoin, that should be focused on.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: