Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:03:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to cool a closed case Mining Rig  (Read 3213 times)
worldinacoin (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 19, 2011, 09:15:06 AM

My datacenter do not allow open rigs, so I have to used closed mining rigs, the main issue is the heat inside the enclosure.  What is the most effective way to cool this?
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ocminer
Legendary

Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 10:51:44 AM

what do you expect ?

suprnova pools - reliable mining pools - #suprnova on freenet
https://www.suprnova.cc - FOLLOW us @ Twitter ! twitter.com/SuprnovaPools
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2011, 11:21:17 AM

Maybe with some fans?
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 02:33:49 AM

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 03:24:03 AM

go with a big (4u) case and some ducted cooling

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
likuidxd

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 05:49:00 AM

With a closed case rig that is air cooled there is really only one thing you should worry about, turbulence. You can have 20 fans in your rig but if they don't work together then you just wasted $200 on fans and degraded yours gpus god knows how far. A lot of people tend to think the more air they get into their box the better but with all those fans working against each other, you are just circulating hot air inside of your machine. Be aware of where you want the air to come in, where you want it to pass through and where you want it to exit.
When you put an intake fan on the front of the box, you need an equal fan exiting that same amount or more on the back to 'clean' the dirty hot air from the case. Think about it, you have X amount coming in absorbing H heat and Y amount coming out. If X is less than or equal to Y the there is always H left behind and will continue to build until you reach the system plateau and level off at an operational temperature.
There are numerous guides on the web about air turbulence in cases but your best bet is to do it yourself because our setups are completely diferent from anything most people have ever seen or dealt with.

Your best bet will probably be aqua, but it's extremely expensive.

plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:27:42 AM

My datacenter do not allow open rigs, so I have to used closed mining rigs, the main issue is the heat inside the enclosure.  What is the most effective way to cool this?

How to cool yourself when you're hot?

This new generation is a disgrace to human race. If our ancestors have built a pyramid then its reasonable to expect one knows how to cool themselves when they're hot.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 08:32:56 AM

My datacenter do not allow open rigs, so I have to used closed mining rigs, the main issue is the heat inside the enclosure.  What is the most effective way to cool this?

How to cool yourself when you're hot?

This new generation is a disgrace to human race. If our ancestors have built a pyramid then its reasonable to expect one knows how to cool themselves when they're hot.

I agree. Either put the box in a tub of water, or if the data centre won't let you do that then just make sure they turn the air con down to 18C. Both of these methods work when I'm hot. I left out giving the box an ice cold coke or a cold shower for obvious reasons.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
worldinacoin (OP)

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:24:03 AM

Ice is not enough, thinking of bringing some liquid nitrogen in.....Smiley
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 02:20:06 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2011, 01:51:23 AM by Transisto

Tip,

The goal is to merge the cards with the case,

The input and output air of the card must not recirculate inside the case.

Mostly all cases must be heavily modded to accomplish this, to the point were you're almost better off building one from scratch.

Duct tape is your best friend.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: