Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 04:23:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: utilities tokens and Securities & Future Acts  (Read 136 times)
farmountain (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2020, 05:07:41 AM

Hi guys,

I am doing some research on the utilities tokens and how utilities tokens avoid the Securities & Future Acts in USA, China or Singapore. Anybody can share information or links?

Thanks in advance.
cryptoaddictchie
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1322

View Profile
February 28, 2020, 05:59:00 AM

Hi guys,

I am doing some research on the utilities tokens and how utilities tokens avoid the Securities & Future Acts in USA, China or Singapore. Anybody can share information or links?
As starter, maybe it can help in your research this article which explained the facts about utility and security tokens. Utility Tokens Vs Security Tokens

ICOs, or more specifically tokens, can be called a variety of names, but merely calling a token a “utility” token or structuring it to provide some utility does not prevent the token from being a security.
This is based on Sec guideline and probably covered USA and Singapore, but I am not sure about China since their idea of tokens are quite different from the perspective of SEC.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
farmountain (OP)

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 04:22:08 AM

Hi guys,

As starter, maybe it can help in your research this article which explained the facts about utility and security tokens. Utility Tokens Vs Security Tokens

ICOs, or more specifically tokens, can be called a variety of names, but merely calling a token a “utility” token or structuring it to provide some utility does not prevent the token from being a security.
This is based on Sec guideline and probably covered USA and Singapore, but I am not sure about China since their idea of tokens are quite different from the perspective of SEC.

Thanks Cheesy
farmountain (OP)

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 05:20:59 AM

The use case of my research is a bit complex as below:

A team of developers
1. To build a hybrid platform of traditional stock brokerage [e.g. To trade stocks listed in Singapore Stock Exchange, ETF etc ] + Cryto Exchange [e.g. To trade BTC, ETH etc]
2. The platform obtained license to operate as stock brokers from Singapore Monetary Authority [ similar to SEC in USA]
3. To launch ICO of utility tokens which can be used to offset stock brokerage charges and Cryto Exchange trading fees
4. The ICO tokens are offered as a early bird discount crowd selling of utility tokens
5. The operator of the platform will lower the stock brokerage charges and cryto trading fees based on previous quarter trading volumes and net profit [ i.e. use lesser utility token to offset the same stock brokerage charges and cryto trading fees], it is to reward the loyalty of the customers.
6. The utility tokens is tradeable only on the platform and the price is subject to the demand and supply only.
7. When the demand of the tokens are low, the operator of the platform might choose to buy back portion of the tokens in the open market
8. P2P merchants on the platform offers conversion of BTC/ETH etc to USDT [vice versa] and users can use the USDT to purchase Stock/ETC etc on the platform

Base on the Howey Test:
a. It is a stock brokerage early bird servicing offer, it is not an investment of money
b. It is a common enterprise
c. Expectation of profit is based on the demand and supply of the utility tokens

Even though it doesn't pass the Howey test as per above. I wonder if the above facts might give concerns to MAS/SEC that this tokens might be considered as security tokens. Anyone can offer their comments or thoughts on this?

thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: