Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:29:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2020-02-28] Can Bitcoin Be Seized as Self-Proclaimed BTC Creator Craig Wright C  (Read 113 times)
zakoliverz (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 02:52:45 AM

Mining pool coercion could work, in theory
Furthermore, Lerner also said that miners cannot take control of the Bitcoins without changing the consensus protocol. Still, he admitted that mining pools, on the other hand, may be able to block Bitcoins if forced. He explained that governments could attempt to force most mining pools to prevent some Bitcoins from changing hands with a process similar to a 51% attack, but he does not expect this approach to work:

“The largest pools are composed by many smaller independent mining farms, and those farms would just start mining solo to prevent coercion instead of being part of such a pool. Therefore I suspect the government-controlled mining pool will just  vanish from the available active and useful hashrate.”
Lerner concluded that such an approach would need law enforcement to prosecute miners that mine on pools that do not enforce censorship in many different jurisdictions. Even if such measures would be taken by governments, he expects that “Bitcoin would just switch to some other form of proof-of-work and keep moving forward.”

Author of the first proof-of-work crypto Karma System Emin Gün Sirer suggested that the claim is part of Wright’s effort to “lay down a misguided foundation to make his followers believe that miners can unilaterally reassign coins.” He said:

“This is likely part of his strategy to take ownership of Satoshi's coins. It's very transparent, shallow, and unconvincing. My professional opinion is that he's a nobody trying to pull a simple scam on unsophisticated investors captivated by his unconvincing, poorly constructed, fraud-ridden tale.”
Wright is drowned in criticism
While Wright has always been a controversial figure in the cryptocurrency space, lately he attracted much more criticism than usual.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/can-bitcoin-be-seized-as-self

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 11:40:57 AM

If we ever reach the times when BTC could be seized, I will change my view on Bitcoin as in I will think BTC is over.

There is absolutely 0 point in seizing something that is supposed and created to be decentralized. If we take decentralization and the trustless feature of BTC away from it, the only difference between the crypto king and fiat is going to be the non-physical existance of BTC and transparency (although BTC wouldn't be transparent anymore if I, as an authority, can move coins to the wallets according to my liking).

To me it seems like CShitW is trying to act as if he's supporting regulation 100%, but that contradicts the facts. Trying to play innocent doesn't work very well for him.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 04:40:11 PM
Merited by Carlton Banks (2)

CoinTelegraph has only slightly more credibility than Craig Wright.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 2145

View Profile
February 29, 2020, 06:28:26 PM

Mining pool coercion could work, in theory
Furthermore, Lerner also said that miners cannot take control of the Bitcoins without changing the consensus protocol.

So they do know that a transaction is valid when it is signed by the private key, then what's the point of this article? Miners don't know users private keys, there's no mechanism to move coins without private keys, to change that a hardfork would be needed, but miners don't decide on hardforks, it's up to users aka full nodes. If miners decided to make such a change, they wouldn't be mining Bitcoin, they would simply create some mutable shitcoin.

As for blocking addresses, the concept for such attack was known for a long time, anyone who is curious can find some better sources than cointelegraf.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 01, 2020, 10:31:19 AM

Trying to play innocent doesn't work very well for him.

That's how he built his following. One would expect people to have enough sense in their brain chamber that they wouldn't fall for the shit he's spewing, but the opposite is true. CSW and his gang are paid large sums of money to attend conferences all over the world. You can't visit a large conference without bumping into him.

In any other industry scammers would be called out and not invited anywhere, but the most retarded industry (crypto) takes things to the very extremes and doesn't give a shit about scammers. Goes to show how filled with scammers this space really is. Scammers surround themselves with other scammers.
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2020, 04:37:17 PM

Mining is already industrial

Sure

They need to follow general regulations and international law enforcement

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
pixie85

Activity: 2128
Merit: 524

View Profile
March 01, 2020, 10:59:12 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2020, 08:39:58 PM by pixie85

Craig is attracting more criticizm because he's lately become even more agressive and vulgar. I heard a few of his speeches and he always gets angry when asked or contradicted and quickly moves to attacking his opponents instead of their arguments. In a conversation he's like a football player who can't hit the ball so he kicks other players.

After he realized he's losing the Kleiman case he got even more controversial. Who cares?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: