Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:40:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The One Satoshi Project  (Read 4638 times)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 05:25:23 AM

They were fine with me sending them deposits of dollars or BTC.  I could sell BTC and buy BTC.  But then they made me send them color photocopies of my driver's license and/or passport before I could remove any money or BTC from the account.

Maybe they were just picking on me and they do not do this to others?  Anyone else?

I've heard this a lot lately, so not just you. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2011, 07:21:07 PM

This is a good idea, I'll have to try it.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 03:18:15 AM

This is a good idea, I'll have to try it.

+1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 03:46:28 PM

I'm going to design another one to throw into tip jars. I need to come up with something eye catching so they don't just throw it away and actually read it. Any ideas?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 05:38:27 PM

I'm going to design another one to throw into tip jars. I need to come up with something eye catching so they don't just throw it away and actually read it. Any ideas?
First thing that comes to mind to keep it from getting thrown away, is to make a business card sized design, print "Redeemable for X Satoshi" in a large size on one side, and print it on nice, heavy card stock.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 02:46:17 PM

I suppose I should put a scratch off sticker over the private key to prevent someone from photographing it. Only a portion needs to be covered.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 11:27:17 PM

I love this idea! I think I'll do it myself. Just to get things straight, this is how I think it goes:
1. I generate a key/address combo with bitaddress.org.
2. I print it out.
3. I send one satoshi to the address.
4. I give it to somebody.
5. Said person goes on StrongCoin and imports the private key.
6. They get the satoshi.

Right?

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 11:43:22 PM

Except you should probably give them at least one penny don't you think?  Or maybe, if you are really rich, give each person a nickle or a dime Wink

One satoshi is such a small amount of money it is not worth anyting (yet).

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 11:46:11 PM

One penny...right now, that would be about 0.0017 BTC (done in head, might be wrong.) I suppose 0.001 BTC wouldn't be too bad (I like the ending in 1 thing.)

<A dominatrix!>
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 11:50:11 PM

Yea,  right now 0.01 is about a nickle, 0.001 is about half a penny - give or take - depends on the exchange and when you look at it ...

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 12:14:57 AM

Just had an idea. These little strips of paper can only hold so much while still looking acceptable. Problem is, your average Joe isn't going to know right away what to do with one of these paper strips and may disregard it altogether because of that. So I thought we should set up a site where we give instructions in layman's terms on how to "redeem" them (perhaps a .bit domain!)

Anyone on board with this?

<A dominatrix!>
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 12:21:31 AM

I would vote against using a .bit domain as that adds an whole new layer of pain for a newbie.  A short utube video and add the URL to the video to your paper.

Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 12:24:16 AM

Sounds good. I'd use bit.ly to shorten it as well.
Any volunteers? I will if nobody else is interested, but I'd prefer a more respected member of the community.

<A dominatrix!>
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 06:33:47 AM

This guy just did a video to show how to redeem physical BTC.  Maybe we could convince him to do a video for this project as well:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=41892.msg696281#msg696281

Check out his video.  This is just the first pass.  From the thread you can see there are some suggestions and there will probably be a second pass on it before it is done.

aeonpi

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2014, 02:14:22 PM

I propose we spread the word about Bitcoin by giving away physical key pairs of the smallest denomination we can. Tell folks that someday it may be worth a lot, perhaps enough to retire on. We can include the Bitcoin.org website, but explain that the amount given is potential worth only and not worth anything at the moment. It's like a lottery ticket that has a high probability of winning someday.

How about we actually create worth and value.. not just tell people a story and try to convince them to believe it. 
I have and idea that will create Value for people in so many ways that exchange will take on a whole new meaning.  We all want the means to do whatever it is we are on this planet to do.  We are exchanging energy and want something back in return.  There is so much value in exchanging energy that It can not be shared here alone, but it will be shared over the time to come.  Bitcoin and the Satoshi idea is genius, in that it opens the door to creating value again.  It allows the people to have their own abiliity to move and adjust and discover and enjoy life.  It takes the power away from those who have held a SINGLE Unit over our heads and a damn good campaign to maintain it.  It stops all that DEAD in its tracks ..and many will say REST in Peace for Peace may truly begin here.  Peace may begin when it does not matter what you have it matters what you do.  That value is in Action and Action is freedom and freedom can not be exchanged.  YET it currently is. So what if we take these points and make systems that support a world that is free to learn, heal, be well, and use will?  What if we create a world where money is not the root of anything but a means to a ends.. Right now we have some very simple needs as a species.  We need to get our environments under control.  We need to stop the violence.  We need to feed everyone consistently.  We have to start figuring out just how many things are out of control right now.  I have found 90 Issues and 90 Solutions. I am currently the only actually doing the research for them.  I know that there are actions that just need people willing to step forward with their skill sets.  That there is immense value in connecting those dots. People and actions.  I see this as holding more than anything I can hand you or you can hand me.  I see that just as a means that works in different circumstances to keep us true to our work, products and services.  I understand that the world has become accustomed to this way of life.  I see that today there is more value in the amount of money you have and can show proof of than any other thing that is currently happening on the planet.  And because of that, many of us stay glued to the scene.  I wonder at what cost.. and how much lost value we see regularly.. Lost time, lost investment, lost assets.. we lose relationships, and friendships and who countries are at war over .. goods, land, water, resources, currencies... and so many other things that I would not be able to list it.

So let me sum up this rather long thought... We all want to see these coins do good (and there are so many to choose from) and all we need to do to do that is exchange for real things.  So I propose we offer our coins in exchange for REAL things.  Instead of telling people invest in bitcoin so you can retire when its worth X.. Get them involved in their lives with your bitcoin services.  A service that actually helps them with real life things, like preparing to retire or getting healthy.  What does everyone need to retire happily?  Its going to be different for everyone right?  Think about how many jobs this creates.. Work creates value and if its bitcoin or some other coin when all the bit coin are out, that is being exchanged then It is worth something.

cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 05:35:32 AM

As a follow up since this thread has been necro'd, there were at least a handful of people that got interested in Bitcoin a year or two later. Probably most of the paper wallets ended up in the trash, but who knows?

budgie

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 05:39:13 AM

guess people won't be happy to know they received a huge stash of nothingness in their hands and win hate btc only because of this
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: