Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:53:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin + Litecoin = Nokia ?  (Read 2320 times)
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:33:39 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2014, 01:13:16 PM by AT101ET

Was just thinking and would like to know everyones thoughts.
This is just a fun debate. Nothing serious.

Would it be right to call Bitcoin and Litecoin the crypto equivalent of what Nokia was to the mobile phone market.
At the start, Nokia was the pioneer and innovation behind mobile phones.
However, after a long dominant streak, Apple and Samsung have outgrown what Nokia was and have dominated the market.
Could the same be true with BTC and LTC?

They were the founding cryptos. These other alts don't offer much competition. BTC and LTC will for the foreseeable future remain on top.
However, what's the likelihood of a new alt slowly growing and ultimately succeeding both BTC and LTC?

If so, when do you see this happening?

Just some weird thought a guy riding a unicorn on the moon told me Wink
designfail

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:55:23 AM

Bitcoin != Nokia

Paypal = Nokia
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:04:04 AM

Oh hold on: Dick York, Dick Sargent, Sergeant York... Wow, that's weird.
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:07:22 AM

Bitcoin is the mobile phone. Bitcoin is a technology, not a company.

Everyone who made analogy such as Altavista/Google, Myspace/Facebook, or that Nokia one, failed to understand that Bitcoin is a fucking technology. Bitcoin is like the Internet, the mobile phone, the automobile, the electricity, the fire.
irrational

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:08:12 AM

Bitcoin != Nokia

Paypal = Nokia

While bitcoin may not be a Nokia, it sure as heck could become a blackberry if it doesn't evolve.

I'm puzzled as to how the core BTC team sees Bitcoin working for most transactions. Last I checked I didn't have to wait 10 minutes at a convenience store for my Visa to pre-auth.

Many altcoins (Litecoin included) try to address this slow confirmation timeframe.

As it currently is, a Bitcoin is a better ACH not a better Visa.
tranzsport

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:23:03 AM

Was just thinking and would like to know everyones thoughts.
This is just a fun debate. Nothing serious.

Would it be right to call Bitcoin and Litecoin the crypto equivalent of what Nokia was to the mobile phone market.
At the start, Nokia was the pioneer and innovation behind mobile phones.
However, after a long dominant streak, Apple and Samsung have outgrown what Nokia was and have dominated the market.
Could the same be true with BTC and LTC?

They were the founding cryptos. These other alts don't offer much competition. BTC and LTC will for the foreseeable future remain on top.
However, what's the likelihood of a new alt slowly growing and ultimately succeeding both BTC and LTC?

If so, when do you see this happening?

Just some weird thought a guy riding a unicorn on the moon told me Wink

Assuming that your analogy is correct, which my opinion is that it isn't, I certainly will not tell anyone if i know when or who is going to replace Bitcoin.
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:26:07 AM

Everyone who made analogy such as Altavista/Google, Myspace/Facebook, or that Nokia one, failed to understand that Bitcoin is a fucking technology. Bitcoin is like the Internet, the mobile phone, the automobile, the electricity, the fire.

So what is Litecoin or any other alt?
There can't me multiple technologies all serving the same purpose.
Bitcoins concept is the technology. It's being used by other cryptos though.
Only a few can dominate and all I'm saying is that could bitcoin be overtaken by something it indirectly created?
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:41:36 AM

Only a few can dominate and all I'm saying is that could bitcoin be overtaken by something it indirectly created?
Bitcoin is TCP/IP, LTC is UDP, other altcoins are other protocol.

95% of internet transmissions use TCP/IP, 5% use UDP, other protocols are basically not use.

A protocol is a technology that can be easily amended and improved, but it's also a technology which derived its usefulness from the number of machines using it. Even if you create something vastly better than TCP/IP for conveying data to other computer, good luck trying to overcome TCP/IP which is used basically by every computer on the planet.
tslfins1

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:08:25 AM

Definitely will happen but not in those black and white outcomes, a better comparison as a breakthrough innovation are Tesla cars in the automotive industry, as improvements and updates are pushed real time to adapt.
t1000

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:15:36 AM

When we start running out of bitcoin addresses, we are going to need to switch to Bitcoinv6. There will be enough addresses for every atom in every neighboring universe on every possible dimension. Roll Eyes

Did you find my posts helpful? Did I say say something nice? Your generosity is much appreciate.
BTC: 1G7chBLoYqGfdyfkrox53yDn6sS65PgFYk
LTC: LiYeFdbv5oxin9S3Wmn4v84LuGZ9nsE4XZ
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:21:29 AM

Bitcoin is TCP/IP, LTC is UDP, other altcoins are other protocol.

95% of internet transmissions use TCP/IP, 5% use UDP, other protocols are basically not use.

A protocol is a technology that can be easily amended and improved, but it's also a technology which derived its usefulness from the number of machines using it. Even if you create something vastly better than TCP/IP for conveying data to other computer, good luck trying to overcome TCP/IP which is used basically by every computer on the planet.

I don't think you quite get what in saying
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:36:12 AM

if (Nokia != Finnish) then {Nokia+Apple=Heartvoice(); Nokia+Apple+Facebook+Google=HandsDigiPhotocopiesBills(); Nokia+Sony+Twitter=GSR24h7();}
else {--mymondex; ++RANDtwofactorauthentication(yahoopipesLabVIEWdynamicpassword)};
return mymondex;

//I am sure I am missing some bits of nonsense. That's why people hate F++

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:46:33 AM

Bitcoin != Nokia

Paypal = Nokia

While bitcoin may not be a Nokia, it sure as heck could become a blackberry if it doesn't evolve.

I'm puzzled as to how the core BTC team sees Bitcoin working for most transactions. Last I checked I didn't have to wait 10 minutes at a convenience store for my Visa to pre-auth.

Many altcoins (Litecoin included) try to address this slow confirmation timeframe.

As it currently is, a Bitcoin is a better ACH not a better Visa.

Fast "plastic card" type BTC transactions could be done off the blockchain and fully confirmed asap.
The card provider would take the risk and charge fees lower than standard credit cards, but high enough to make money.

Something like the above is very possible.

HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:43:43 AM

Mt gox = Nokia

Mt gox failed miserably and now its time for a new and improved model. 

Bitcoin is the underlying protocol for money and permanent public record. 

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
googlemaster1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:54:32 AM

Bitcoin != Nokia

Paypal = Nokia

/thread

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:06:40 AM

Amid falling sales, Nokia posted a loss of 368 million euros for Q2 2011, while in Q2 2010 realized a profit of 227 million euros. On September 2011, Nokia has announced it will end another 3,500 jobs worldwide, including the closure of its Cluj factory in Romania.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia#Loss_of_smartphone_marketshare

On 8 February 2012, Nokia Corp. announced 4,000 layoffs at smartphone manufacturing plants in Europe by the end of 2012 to move assembly closer to component suppliers in Asia.

On 14 June 2012, Nokia announced 10,000 layoffs globally by the end of 2013[139] and shut production and research sites in Finland, Germany and Canada in line with continuing losses and the stock price falling to its lowest point since 1996.

In total, Nokia laid off 24,500 employees by the end of 2013.

On 18 June 2012, Moody's downgraded Nokia's bond rating to junk.

Nokia also sounds like a big basket of Cryptsy alt coins.

5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 05:11:32 AM

no thats probably not the greatest analogy.  Sure bitcoin could be replaced someday but Bitcoin is closer to an original iphone than an original nokia.  Its a game changer like the iphone

DarwinNexus

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:14:23 AM

It seems like you put a bit of effort into this analogy which puts your intelligence into question.
Sorry.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:22:16 AM

He said "just a fun debate. Nothing serious"
Which puts  your attention to detail into question.  Tongue

It seems like you put a bit of effort into this analogy which puts your intelligence into question.
Sorry.

justbtcme

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:15:11 AM

My opinion is that the Blackberry platform, or perhaps the Nextel platform should be a good fit for a btc to btc API via walkie talkie. Perhaps.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: