Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:47:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My RX580 is confusing me. How to fine tune it?  (Read 167 times)
milosx7 (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 04, 2020, 02:47:39 PM
Merited by nc50lc (2)

Hello bitcoin forum! Haven't posted here in a while...

I have recently bought my "new" gaming PC. Parts are used so, it's not new, but it's new and beefy for me.

MOB: MSI Z77-G55A
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Patriot
CPU: i5 2500K
GPU: RX580 8GB (Sapphire Nitro+, samsung)
SSD: Patriot 250GB
PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 10

Parts costed me ~400$ total. Since I was caught in some deep shit with drugs, lost my gaming and mining PC to it, I was finally able to overcome that and I'm making a slow but steady comeback.

I figured I could mine and trade a little bit until I make back 100$ which is how much my GPU costed me, and I'm planning to buy another one, and make a Gaming + Mining PC all-in-one. I mostly just write code on my PC, and my GPU has been mining for about 2 weeks now and I'm happy with its performance. This specific model runs pretty cold for an AMD polaris card (or is it polaris, I'm kind of losing track with all these GPU releases in the past couple of years...)

I'm mining ethereum solo with good ol' claymores software through nicehash, where I also trade other crypto, make 1000-2000 satoshi here and there mostly for fun, but who knows Smiley

Only thing I can't seem to figure out is the most optimal clocks for mining. I know I can't use furmark, ashes of the benchmark or other GPU stressers because gaming and mining are not the same. I'm getting around 6-7 rejected shares / 24h and I'm not sure whether this is OK. My current mining mode OC is:

MEM: 2100MHz @ 850mV
CORE: 1108MHz @ 850mV
Mode is also changed to compute in adrenaline. No bios mods have been done. Guy who sold me the GPU was also using it for mining and he took good care of this puppy.

I have figured that increasing only memory clock doesn't doo much unless I bump core clock a little bit too. My default mV for memory is 950 which I use to play games with, and I used this mV to mine until today, I have lowered it to 850mV and it feels the same (but 95w to 77w baby, that's money right there!)

How do I know if things get unstable? My previous 6x 1050ti rig would just completely freeze the OS. Their memory clock would easily bump to max because nVidia, so I only had to tweak core clock to find a sweet spot... But with this card I don't get no crashes / bsods, rejected shares ~6/24h with any voltages and clocks I've tried so far, I'm not sure how I can fine tune this to the max.

Also, one last question, this asshole sold me his "modular" psu with only mobo, cpu, and 2 peripheral cables. So I had to buy some shitty sata > 6pin and 8pin pci-e to hack my way into making my GPU run. Anyone has any idea where I could buy cables for my PSU (don't wanna pay 100$ for cablemod when I could get a brand new PSU for that money). I don't want to resell this PSU to anyone in this state (and I'm planning on replacing it in the future), and it's a pretty quality PSU so if I could get the missing cables for cheap that'd be a BOMB.

Thanks for reading, share your thoughts and opinions, everything is welcome! Have a nice day!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
March 04, 2020, 05:29:50 PM

Hello bitcoin forum! Haven't posted here in a while...

I have recently bought my "new" gaming PC. Parts are used so, it's not new, but it's new and beefy for me.

MOB: MSI Z77-G55A
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Patriot
CPU: i5 2500K
GPU: RX580 8GB (Sapphire Nitro+, samsung)
SSD: Patriot 250GB
PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 10

Parts costed me ~400$ total. Since I was caught in some deep shit with drugs, lost my gaming and mining PC to it, I was finally able to overcome that and I'm making a slow but steady comeback.

I figured I could mine and trade a little bit until I make back 100$ which is how much my GPU costed me, and I'm planning to buy another one, and make a Gaming + Mining PC all-in-one. I mostly just write code on my PC, and my GPU has been mining for about 2 weeks now and I'm happy with its performance. This specific model runs pretty cold for an AMD polaris card (or is it polaris, I'm kind of losing track with all these GPU releases in the past couple of years...)

I'm mining ethereum solo with good ol' claymores software through nicehash, where I also trade other crypto, make 1000-2000 satoshi here and there mostly for fun, but who knows Smiley

Only thing I can't seem to figure out is the most optimal clocks for mining. I know I can't use furmark, ashes of the benchmark or other GPU stressers because gaming and mining are not the same. I'm getting around 6-7 rejected shares / 24h and I'm not sure whether this is OK. My current mining mode OC is:

MEM: 2100MHz @ 850mV
CORE: 1108MHz @ 850mV
Mode is also changed to compute in adrenaline. No bios mods have been done. Guy who sold me the GPU was also using it for mining and he took good care of this puppy.

I have figured that increasing only memory clock doesn't doo much unless I bump core clock a little bit too. My default mV for memory is 950 which I use to play games with, and I used this mV to mine until today, I have lowered it to 850mV and it feels the same (but 95w to 77w baby, that's money right there!)

How do I know if things get unstable? My previous 6x 1050ti rig would just completely freeze the OS. Their memory clock would easily bump to max because nVidia, so I only had to tweak core clock to find a sweet spot... But with this card I don't get no crashes / bsods, rejected shares ~6/24h with any voltages and clocks I've tried so far, I'm not sure how I can fine tune this to the max.

Also, one last question, this asshole sold me his "modular" psu with only mobo, cpu, and 2 peripheral cables. So I had to buy some shitty sata > 6pin and 8pin pci-e to hack my way into making my GPU run. Anyone has any idea where I could buy cables for my PSU (don't wanna pay 100$ for cablemod when I could get a brand new PSU for that money). I don't want to resell this PSU to anyone in this state (and I'm planning on replacing it in the future), and it's a pretty quality PSU so if I could get the missing cables for cheap that'd be a BOMB.

Thanks for reading, share your thoughts and opinions, everything is welcome! Have a nice day!

How much is your power bill? If its around the industry average of 10c per kwh then it will take you a very long time to make that $100. Basically with 10 cent power they net like $0.20 per day so you are looking at 500 days. And most likely in the future the difficulty will go up and it will take longer.

You didn't state your speed but if you are getting around 30MH/s then its pretty optimized. Since you only got 1 GPU in your rig your power consumption will be around 150 Watts from the wall because you got a motherboard, cpu, ram, hard drive to power. Hence you are better off putting 4-5 more GPUs in that rig to bring down the power consumption to like 120 Watts per GPU.

Regarding the cables. You best bet is something like aliexpress but right now you can't exactly order things from China. Another method is just to buy the cables, crimp tool, pins, and connectors and just build them yourself. Most expensive thing would be the crimp tool. You can also see if they have any cheap modular cables on aliexpress, probably much cheaper than cablemod.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
milosx7 (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 07, 2020, 01:38:26 PM

Hey adaseb, thanks for replying, sorry I couldn't respond sooner.

I'm not paying for electricity. Out of curiosity I asked my grandfather (he is paying) how much would 150w cost me 24/7, and surprisingly it's aroud 3$ per month, so he told me to chill and mine as much as I want, it doesn't break the bank. 0.04 cents / kWh, plus in my country (Serbia) there is this thing called "cheap electricity" for about 8h during late night hours, when electricity is very close to being free.

After lowering the memory voltage from 950 to 850 I notice 2 things. Significantly less rejected shares (2/24h instead of 6/24h) and, now I'm getting crashes. Finally. At least I know my GPU will crash the system if something's wrong. I was mostly concerned that it wouldn't crash, but rather just burn the whole PC down to the ground Cheesy. I now guess it needs a little bit more juice, since it crashed about 24h after I let it mine with such low voltages.

I'm actually trying to find the sweetest spot possible for this GPU. I can't really settle for good enough because my OCD kicks in and drives me crazy. Until I hit that 1mV and 1MHz spot where going up for only 1 would cause problems, I guess I wont stop... My goal is to stay above 30MH/s, and currently it's ticking @30.3MHs @80w. I guess it can't be improved much at this point but I need to satisfy my OCD demons Cheesy

I'll be getting some more cash soon and I plan on buying another GPU to put in my system. Thankfully I don't have to change the MOBO yet since mine already has, I think, 5 PCI-e slots. Only problem that's holding me back now is my PSU. All the SATA ports are used up and I'm not sure if powering 2 GPUs through 2 peripheral rails is a good idea. Sounds like it'll blow up in smokes to me. I'm scared enough having 1 GPU connected to peripheral sata > PCI-e already. So I'm afraid I'd have to blow 100$ on a new PSU instead of another RX580. I've seen people running it on a single 8PIN PCI-e without plugging the 6PIN one? How good of an idea is this for mining?
iRonNuke

Activity: 98
Merit: 6

View Profile
March 09, 2020, 10:48:42 AM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

It's totally safe to only plug in one 8 pin PCIe into Sapphire RX 580s. I'm running my 12x RX 570/580 that way, and it's hashing away just fine. The second 6 pin is just if you want to deliver more power (overclock the GPU much). You don't want that with mining.

You are doing it right, down with voltage and core clock (around 1100 MHz is the sweatspot.) And I been able to get voltage to 800 mV (even lower is possible), but it all depends on the ASIC chips and quality of the GPU. Memory clock is typical around 2000 MHz.

I'm recommend OverDrivenTool as tuning software for Polaris cards. It's very straight forward and easy to use. You can also make a batch file so you automatic set the clocks/voltages when you'r satisfied!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: