Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:49:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $200 in BTC prize. What is bitcoin? How does it work? Writing contest  (Read 3197 times)
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:02:27 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2014, 12:14:05 AM by The Bitcoin Society

Contest canceled due to a month of inactivity and lack of response

As we continue development of our website and continue to grow, we get asked almost daily. What is Bitcoin? and, How does it work? Everyone from the offices below us in our building, the mail man, the building manager, the painters that came in, even the girl at the coffee shop across the street. For the time being as we are working on our infrastructure and website, we have to refer them to bitcoin.org or other spinoffs that have explanations and the result is always the same. The next time we see them, they just have a blank stare on their face and reply with.... " I dont get it".

Now with that being said, take into consideration that most information available with a quick google search is written by Nerds, Techies, and Geeks like myself. When read by other Nerds, Techies and geeks, it makes perfect sense. If not, most of us spend at least 5 hours a day behind our computers and we set out on a google mission until we find the answer we are looking for. Lets face it, grandma and grandpa, sometimes even mom and dad, even after watching the cheesy video or reading an article are still left scratching their heads.

It seems the members of this forum need a little motivation to write as our previous attempts at getting input have failed. So we have decided to host a contest and offer a $200 prize to the winner who gets their article published.

Contest rules:

Your article must comprehensively cover what Bitcoin is and how it works in laymen terms without being to heavy on technical explanations. Think birds and bees talk with your kids, not full on human anatomy and biology.

The article must be a minimum of 800 words.

The article must be an original work and will be checked heavily for copyright infringement and duplicate web content.

The author of the winning article must sign and submit a copy of our publication agreement before they will be paid.

All articles must be submitted in private message on this forum or to admin@thebitcoinsociety.org , Posting your article as a reply in this thread will be an automatic disqualification as it instantly makes the article useless for SEO as it will be duplicate content.

The author acknowledges that upon payment the article becomes the sole property of The Bitcoin Society and they release all legal rights

This contest will end when a suitable article meeting the criteria has been submitted and we will announce the winner in this thread.

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gogodr

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:59:30 AM

if you want everyone to understand it, may I suggest no minimum amount of words and allow graphics ?
hungpham

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:54:21 PM

if you want everyone to understand it, may I suggest no minimum amount of words and allow graphics ?
+1
justbtcme

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:11:39 PM

+2
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:03:39 PM

Graphics are perfectly fine, the word count is for SEO purposes, without it there is no point in investing tens of thousands into a website, 800 words is not a lot of words, the average paragraph is about 350 so its really a 3 paragraph article. If you spend a paragraph on "What is Bitcoin"? and two paragraphs on "how it works" you are pretty much done.

We are all for graphics if you want to include them with the article. We would need a copyright release form for each one though.
KIRAZ

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:59:52 PM

On it will try to send you some quality material soon. Thanks.
gogodr

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:16:14 PM

Graphics are perfectly fine, the word count is for SEO purposes, without it there is no point in investing tens of thousands into a website, 800 words is not a lot of words, the average paragraph is about 350 so its really a 3 paragraph article. If you spend a paragraph on "What is Bitcoin"? and two paragraphs on "how it works" you are pretty much done.

We are all for graphics if you want to include them with the article. We would need a copyright release form for each one though.
its not about how many words we can write, personally I can make a whole monograph about bitcoin functionality.
It is about how much time people are willing to invest reading an article about bitcoin.
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:47:21 PM

its not about how many words we can write, personally I can make a whole monograph about bitcoin functionality.
It is about how much time people are willing to invest reading an article about bitcoin.

And again, its about three paragraphs to make 800 words. $200 prize for 3 paragraphs is 100X more than we pay our in house writers. Beyond that if people dont have 4 minutes to read 3 paragraphs, they defiantly do not have the patience top deal with bitcoin confirmations and would probably be best to stick to fiat.
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:19:57 AM

Contest is still going guys
BitcoinTraders

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:15:12 AM

Will try it!
It's so interesting!
justbtcme

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:47:56 AM

Bitcoin should be put in a simple facade so everyone can see and appreciated it. As I am not an english major, this would be difficult for me to put in words the beauty that is Bitcoin.
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:35:57 AM

$200 prize and no takers yet Huh
UberNifty

Activity: 168

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 11:23:00 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 01:32:30 AM by UberNifty

I'm here to claim the $200 BTC prize for your writing contest. However, in order to maintain a high degree of transparency, while at the same time noting your concerns with duplicate content...

First, I took the liberties of running it through Copyscape. It passed flawlessly. I then went ahead and took a screenshot of the entire article at 1:1 resolution; conveniently avoiding the duplicate content issue altogether.  Here's the link to the article image:

http://UberNifty.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/BTC_Demystified.png

Insofar as the publisher agreement you need signed... what kind of process / contract are you talking about? If if it's quick, easy and simple: Count me in! If it's too complicated, I'm perfectly happy with retaining my own copyright.

"Remember, the blockchain is truth..."
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 11:26:50 PM

I'm here to claim the $200 BTC prize for your writing contest. However, in order to maintain a high degree of transparency, while at the same time noting your concerns with duplicate content...

First, I took the liberties of running it through Copyscape. It passed flawlessly. I went then went ahead and took a screenshot of the entire article at 1:1 resolution; conveniently avoiding the duplicate content issue altogether.  Here's the link to the article image:

Insofar as the publisher agreement you need signed... what kind of process / contract are you talking about? If if it's quick, easy and simple: Count me in! If it's too complicated, I'm perfectly happy with retaining my own copyright.

Can I have your permission to repost this onto my blog?

UberNifty

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 01:31:26 AM

Can I have your permission to repost this onto my blog?

I take that to mean the image of the article? Are you partners with the individual throwing this contest?

kooke

Activity: 448

Bitcoin super-duper-mega-ultra-hyper-node

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:56:59 AM

Is this contest still open?

UberNifty

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:07:56 AM

Is this contest still open?

I think so. The rules say that the winner will be announced on this thread.

UberNifty

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 02:57:17 AM

First, I took the liberties of running it through Copyscape. It passed flawlessly. I then went ahead and took a screenshot of the entire article at 1:1 resolution; conveniently avoiding the duplicate content issue altogether.  Here's the link to the article image:

I am officially retracting my entry.

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 03:55:36 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 02:06:29 PM by frankenmint

I am officially retracting my entry.

1)  No I have no affiliation - I liked it a lot and thought it could serve as a great written primer.  I think that BTC is already easily explained enough from the video here:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo

and the banking system  is conversely explained well here:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6zpfE7WjHI

If the contest is still open I'll try it out. Need confirmation that its still open.

UMM is this the winning entry?: http://www.thebitcoinsociety.org/content/bitcoin-beauty-trustless-transactions

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:25:58 AM

It looks like it is to me since its on their webpage nice submission wonder who claimed it

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: