Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:03:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: When you trade, are you doing so to primarily profit in fiat, or profit in bitcoin?
Fiat
Bitcoin
Hedging against price drops

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you trading for FIAT or BTC profit?  (Read 2233 times)
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:12:23 PM

But look at the people who bought in at 25 or higher. If the price drops 50% from where it is now, to them it is only a 5% drop. They are already down 90%, what's a couple points more? Especially if they are "smart" investors and only put in what they were willing to loose in the first place.
But compared to what they now have, it's still your money getting halved. Although I agree that the psychological effect is different.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:55:45 PM

I'm not willing to take the risk of missing the boat for another few percentage points.
This is a good point but it is possible that the price is still going down another 50% so that's not only "few percentage points". However it's also possible that $2 triple bottoms and we never see $1.x again. This is why I'm also thinking of a partial re-entry at this stage. Not even thinking about all-in yet, but I think the current situation warrants a partial move.

But look at the people who bought in at 25 or higher. If the price drops 50% from where it is now, to them it is only a 5% drop. They are already down 90%, what's a couple points more? Especially if they are "smart" investors and only put in what they were willing to loose in the first place.

Dead on (though I did not really get going with Bitcoin until around the time of the Mt. Gox outage thank God, and I bought a majority of my holdings on various large dips so my loss is much less than I would have thought.)  Lemme add a few things from personal perspective.

I based a lot of my decision to own Bitcoin on certain fundamentals which have really not (yet) changed.  The seeming robustness of the system, the usefulness of something which could be easily transported around the world, the non-single point of failure properties, etc.  I was dead wrong about how low the demand could get, but I've no reason to reject most of the fundamentals behind my decision.

I consider anything less than several years to be 'short-term' and did not really expect my interest in Bitcoin to be short-term.  I am only a short time into my anticipated involvement.  Again, I did not expect to lose so much USD so quickly, but I also put no more in than I could easily afford to part with.  It's just that I expected to kiss the money goodbye if Bitcoin was cracked rather than in a general market decline.  Oh well...the net effect is the same (although the market could re-bound which is more likely than if there had been a terminal exploit to the Bitcoin network.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 03:35:24 AM

I'm not willing to take the risk of missing the boat for another few percentage points.
This is a good point but it is possible that the price is still going down another 50% so that's not only "few percentage points". However it's also possible that $2 triple bottoms and we never see $1.x again. This is why I'm also thinking of a partial re-entry at this stage. Not even thinking about all-in yet, but I think the current situation warrants a partial move.

Dead on (though I did not really get going with Bitcoin until around the time of the Mt. Gox outage thank God, and I bought a majority of my holdings on various large dips so my loss is much less than I would have thought.)  Lemme add a few things from personal perspective.

I based a lot of my decision to own Bitcoin on certain fundamentals which have really not (yet) changed.  The seeming robustness of the system, the usefulness of something which could be easily transported around the world, the non-single point of failure properties, etc.  I was dead wrong about how low the demand could get, but I've no reason to reject most of the fundamentals behind my decision.

I consider anything less than several years to be 'short-term' and did not really expect my interest in Bitcoin to be short-term.  I am only a short time into my anticipated involvement.  Again, I did not expect to lose so much USD so quickly, but I also put no more in than I could easily afford to part with.  It's just that I expected to kiss the money goodbye if Bitcoin was cracked rather than in a general market decline.  Oh well...the net effect is the same (although the market could re-bound which is more likely than if there had been a terminal exploit to the Bitcoin network.)

+1

I will admit I have invested considerable amounts of money in purchasing Bitcoins, and "high-end" gear to mine. I knew that I could loose every single red cent I put into this investment, but in the end the thing that made me take the final leap were the fundamentals.

Those have not changed.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 11:51:43 AM

I agree. I'm actually break-even in fiat and massively up in BTC for my direct investments, thanks to some good trading decisions. My mining investments are another story but they are close to being break-even when you take the resale value into account. But just like you, I haven't invested anything I can't afford to lose. I'm going to be involved in the Bitcoin community as long as the fundamentals stay strong, or until something even more promising comes up. What happens with the price doesn't change anything, I've always known Bitcoin is very risky as an investment vehicle.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: