Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:31:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble Mining with Second Graphics Card (Nvidia + AMD) - PROBLEM RESOLVED  (Read 722 times)
Odaith (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:37:10 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 03:05:51 AM by Odaith

I've been poking at this for about a couple of days and read as much as I can, but still have no success so I'm finally breaking down and making a post to see if anyone would be kind enough to see about helping me though my problem.

I've been mining LTC with my original graphics card (GTX 650) using cudaminer and that's been going fine. I'd been enjoying it to the point were I decided to try and do better and I grabbed a used Radeon 5830. My plan was to use GUIMiner Scrypt with that one, but I cant get it running successfully.

I can use GUIMiner (cudaminer) to connect to my pool and mine with my GTX 650, but if I stop that and switch to my Radeon 5830 it just says "Listener started" and nothing else happens. If I try and run it though cgminer directly specifying the second card via command prompt, it shows the cgminer 'welcome screen' then just spits out a bunch of blank lines and closes. Similarly it works fine if I use the GTX 650 though.

Here is the pertinent information and the things I've done to try and get it going:
-I'm on Windows 7 64 bit
-I run 2 monitors off my GTX 650, and I've tried getting the Radeon going both with a 3rd monitor attached and extending my desktop, and without one attached and just forcing VGA detection
-My GTX 650 is in the primary PCI-E slot and the Radeon is in the secondary
-Downloaded and installed AMD-APP-SDK 2.9
-Downloaded and installed 13-12 Catalyst program and drivers
-Used Drivesweeper to remove Nvidia and AMD drivers
--installed Nvida drivers fresh and then the above
--also tried it the other way around with AMD first
-Downloaded and installed Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer. I've verified I have a OpenCL driver installed (though I can only ever get it to be "OpenCL 1.1, GeForce GTX 650 on the main GPU tab - in the OpenCL tab the version/profile is "OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1348.5) FILL_PROFILE)

I don't have any trouble getting GUI viewer to detect my Radeon (which seems to be the most common problem), I just can't make use of it. I've seen plenty of people report success in this, so I know it should be possible. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated Smiley
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:44:21 AM

Have you had any success with cgminer? You've mentioned cudaminer, which is for Nvidia cards.

Also, be sure to use cudaminer 3.7.2 or earlier,  since later versions don't support scrypt mining (I believe). Alternatively, try sgminer, a common fork of cgminer.
Odaith (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:09:36 AM

Yes, I've tried cgminer 3.5 in console, and GUI Miner uses 3.1.

It seems you have the magic touch though. I figured up GUI Miner check there version of cgminer it uses, and lo and behold, for the first time in days, it actually progressed beyond simply "listener started" and started mining, just like that.

Isn't that alwys the way it goes? You finally ask for help and end up looking like a fool because there's no problem any more? Thanks for being 'the magic touch', but it seems like everything is up and running now! Smiley
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:17:46 PM

Yes, I've tried cgminer 3.5 in console, and GUI Miner uses 3.1.

It seems you have the magic touch though. I figured up GUI Miner check there version of cgminer it uses, and lo and behold, for the first time in days, it actually progressed beyond simply "listener started" and started mining, just like that.

Isn't that alwys the way it goes? You finally ask for help and end up looking like a fool because there's no problem any more? Thanks for being 'the magic touch', but it seems like everything is up and running now! Smiley

Glad to hear it! Good luck Smiley
R0yalAir

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:25:00 PM

I recommend you to move this thread to the "Mining" section.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: