Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:20:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My stance on Ethereum, ProgPoW, and the ASIC Question.  (Read 350 times)
Xazax310 (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 10, 2020, 01:27:08 AM
Merited by VoskCoin (1)

Hello all,

This is purely a reach out to the GPU community as a whole and my own personal experience and opinions.

https://medium.com/@infantry1337/my-stance-on-ethereum-progpow-and-the-asic-question-99310d192fb4?source=friends_link&sk=caa693854579225fa90b5e98faa3d77f
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Grim

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 10, 2020, 07:58:11 AM

ProgPOW ensures to be one of the fairer distribution methods possible because of the effectiveness of readily available consumer products/hardware.
ASICs will still be made for ProgPOW but the consumer hardware already is application specific in this case.
So ProgPOW will ensure that ASICs and consumer products are at a very close level. (within +/- 10%)

The questions are:

Is a fair distribution during the distribution phase of a potentially World Currency desirable?

And can the very high availability of consumer products help in this aspect?

And last but not least: Is POS in peoples opinion an even fairer distribution model?  Cheesy
imjustaminer

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 08:31:30 AM

I would assume PoS would be best just for the simple fact it cuts out the huge electricity costs. At least, thats why i love it so much. It can be used by more people. It also does well in keeping nets stable.
Grim

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 09:58:18 AM

I would assume PoS would be best just for the simple fact it cuts out the huge electricity costs. At least, thats why i love it so much. It can be used by more people. It also does well in keeping nets stable.

It also is the most unfair distribution possible.  Wink
imjustaminer

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 11:37:07 PM

Nothing will ever be fair. People with the most money will win. Every time.
Grim

View Profile
March 13, 2020, 11:00:37 AM

And that is why we should make it even easier for them?
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2020, 01:18:53 PM

Hello all,

This is purely a reach out to the GPU community as a whole and my own personal experience and opinions.

https://medium.com/@infantry1337/my-stance-on-ethereum-progpow-and-the-asic-question-99310d192fb4?source=friends_link&sk=caa693854579225fa90b5e98faa3d77f
Awesome write-up Ted, maybe quote one paragraph and post a picture into this thread? Sadly a lot of people will respond here without even reading your article lol & you're a great writer.

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 2143

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2020, 01:29:53 PM

Awesome write-up Ted, maybe quote one paragraph and post a picture into this thread? Sadly a lot of people will respond here without even reading your article lol & you're a great writer.
Hey VoskCoin, I've watched a lot of your videos in 2017-2018 Grin
Sadly.. mining isn't profitable for small-time miners in recent years.

Anyway, ProgPow seems favored Nvidia GPU, and what the point anyway since ETH will move to PoS? I'll be more interested in PoW alts using ProgPow.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2020, 04:08:56 PM

Hey VoskCoin, I've watched a lot of your videos in 2017-2018 Grin
Sadly.. mining isn't profitable for small-time miners in recent years.

Anyway, ProgPow seems favored Nvidia GPU, and what the point anyway since ETH will move to PoS? I'll be more interested in PoW alts using ProgPow.
thanks for watching my videos then Cheesy (I still make videos btw Wink lol )

ProgPoW can be adjusted to favor Nvidia, or AMD, or attempt to find a middle ground. Recently though Nvidia cards have just kind of been.. better cards, the new 5700 helped shake that up some, but just look at how many nvidia GPU releases over the last year vs AMD

ETH isn't as close to PoS as they want to be / as many people want to believe they are. & even then they'll move to some sort of hybrid pow/pos setup for awhile

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
imjustaminer

View Profile
March 14, 2020, 12:23:27 AM

It also is the most unfair distribution possible.  Wink

That really has nothing to do with it. Nothing in life is fair. We can dream, but the rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer. The rich will just buy more GPU then the lesser people, create insane prices for the little guy, and we will get a repeat of 500 dollar 1070s, Plus you could barely find GPUs anywhere. Nvidia and AMD will hardly keep up. until we all get rid of currency all together like star trek, or we dont need any kind of investment, then it will be the only time it can actually be fair. Which will never happen.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
March 14, 2020, 04:47:55 AM

That really has nothing to do with it. Nothing in life is fair. We can dream, but the rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer. The rich will just buy more GPU then the lesser people, create insane prices for the little guy, and we will get a repeat of 500 dollar 1070s, Plus you could barely find GPUs anywhere. Nvidia and AMD will hardly keep up. until we all get rid of currency all together like star trek, or we dont need any kind of investment, then it will be the only time it can actually be fair. Which will never happen.

I don't think it was the rich who bought out all the GPUs which ended up with people having to pay over $1000 for a 1080Ti. The reason the GPUs were sold out because mining was very profitable and many miners got involved and there was a huge demand and not enough supply. Due to the fabrication process there is a limit on how many GPUs can be manufactured. Hence why there was a premium for many of them.

I remember the 1080Ti were pulling like $10-15 a day back in Q1 2018 and with a price of $1000 it only had a 60 day ROI, but since it could be resold it had a ROI of maybe 15 days or so. So people figured it was worth the risk to overpay. Nobody knew that weeks later the markets would start to turn and crash. Same thing happened back in early 2014. And most likely will happen again in the future.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
imjustaminer

View Profile
March 14, 2020, 09:28:54 AM

I don't think it was the rich who bought out all the GPUs which ended up with people having to pay over $1000 for a 1080Ti. The reason the GPUs were sold out because mining was very profitable and many miners got involved and there was a huge demand and not enough supply. Due to the fabrication process there is a limit on how many GPUs can be manufactured. Hence why there was a premium for many of them.

I remember the 1080Ti were pulling like $10-15 a day back in Q1 2018 and with a price of $1000 it only had a 60 day ROI, but since it could be resold it had a ROI of maybe 15 days or so. So people figured it was worth the risk to overpay. Nobody knew that weeks later the markets would start to turn and crash. Same thing happened back in early 2014. And most likely will happen again in the future.

With all due respect, you need money to dump 1k on GPUs. Thats not something the average joe can do. Everything you said aligns with mine. People with money bought what they could. People who didnt have money got shafted. Which is exactly my point.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: