Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:38:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Radeon VII immersion liquid cooling, first step.  (Read 326 times)
lacuna776 (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 10, 2020, 02:16:56 PM
Merited by nc50lc (2)

Anybody have ideas?
I have AMD Radeon VII, works stably with a standard radiator and coolers.
system win 10 x64, drivers adrenalin last vesion
Disable standard coolers and LED illumination(disconect wires) - gpu still works stably,
After disconnect all coolers, remove radiator and housing leaving the bare card(PCB), place the card in immersion liquid(miniral oil) (temperature about 25 C volume 100 liters) and get in the readings adrenaline 35 C.... Why the difference in temperature?
Then  launch claimore, and the temperature in adrenaline on this GPU in a few seconds jumps to 75 C and the system freez... after reboot gpu does not detect by OS, until pci change, but it still freez after after few seconds

Did anyone launch a successful radeon VII in immersion liquid?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZeeeN

Activity: 297
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 10, 2020, 08:35:19 PM

Anybody have ideas?
Disable standard coolers and LED illumination(disconect wires) - gpu still works stably,
After disconnect all coolers, remove radiator and housing leaving the bare card(PCB), place the card in immersion liquid(miniral oil) (temperature about 25 C volume 100 liters) and get in the readings adrenaline 35 C.... Why the difference in temperature?
Then  launch claimore, and the temperature in adrenaline on this GPU in a few seconds jumps to 75 C and the system freez... after reboot gpu does not detect by OS, until pci change, but it still freez after after few seconds

i think you need to check riser and power cable.
atanas012

Activity: 8
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 07:33:20 AM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

From the picture, look like you strip the GPU. You need to put back the radiator. You strip the GPU only if you immerse it in 3M Novek fluid.
For mineral oil and other fluid except 3M Novek you put the hole GPU assembly (Without fans or whit them depends of your choice and cooling) and make a circulating cooling system for the mineral oil.
3M Novek is a different story altogether you can research it, but the setup cost are very high.

Hope it helps
lacuna776 (OP)

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 11:34:19 AM

From the picture, look like you strip the GPU. You need to put back the radiator. You strip the GPU only if you immerse it in 3M Novek fluid.
For mineral oil and other fluid except 3M Novek you put the hole GPU assembly (Without fans or whit them depends of your choice and cooling) and make a circulating cooling system for the mineral oil.
3M Novek is a different story altogether you can research it, but the setup cost are very high.

Hope it helps

Looks like you 're right, thank you!
I did not expect the thermal conductivity of copper(radiator) and miniral oil to differ sooo much.
I have a circulating pump in tank, speed about 1.3 - 2.5 cubic meter an hour, but this is not enough for good mixing inside the tank.

Do you think it is real to run a strip GPU in mineral oil if to make good mixing of mineral oil in the tank?
atanas012

Merit: 1

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 01:29:07 PM

Hi
I don`t think you can make it to work whit a bare GPU in Mineral oil. You need a very good mixer and flow form the pump in front of the GPU chip and HBM also the VRM`s need`s cooling. It`s easier to just let the radiator attached to the GPU. You can remove the fans and save energy whit or without the radiator there is no gain or lose of electricity just space. But from the picture posted you have spare so put the radiator and you are good to go.
I`m doing my  immersion setup right now and it`s working very good. I`m not so happy whit the result but will upgrade my pump and see how it is for now I have 13 RX 570 immersed and the power from the wall is 1500W for 31Mh/s per GPU under Linux I thing that under windows they will do better will see Smiley.
WhyMe

Activity: 661
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 03:13:47 PM

Hi
I don`t think you can make it to work whit a bare GPU in Mineral oil. You need a very good mixer and flow form the pump in front of the GPU chip and HBM also the VRM`s need`s cooling. It`s easier to just let the radiator attached to the GPU. You can remove the fans and save energy whit or without the radiator there is no gain or lose of electricity just space. But from the picture posted you have spare so put the radiator and you are good to go.
I`m doing my  immersion setup right now and it`s working very good. I`m not so happy whit the result but will upgrade my pump and see how it is for now I have 13 RX 570 immersed and the power from the wall is 1500W for 31Mh/s per GPU under Linux I thing that under windows they will do better will see Smiley.
Some pics please ?
danbel79

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 06:00:42 AM

Hi
I`m doing my  immersion setup right now and it`s working very good. I`m not so happy whit the result but will upgrade my pump and see how it is for now I have 13 RX 570 immersed and the power from the wall is 1500W for 31Mh/s per GPU under Linux I thing that under windows they will do better will see Smiley.

what system do you use, i'm dealing with hiveon and ethos for the first time and i can't start them without the fans .. how did you disable them?
1500W for 13 GPu? It is wonderful!!!!
danbel79

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 06:08:29 AM

Anybody have ideas?

http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1583849736/b3ba287f/29830149_m.jpg

i think you need to check riser and power cable.

Use its heat sink, and you have to cool the oil, either with freon or with a radiator .. a card is low wattage ..
https://koolance.com/cooling-systems
These friends have lots of toys for small scales, you could try ..
WhyMe

Activity: 661
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 01:42:55 PM

Any mineral oil does the job or we have to take care of some details ?
danbel79

View Profile
March 13, 2020, 04:32:28 AM

Any mineral oil does the job or we have to take care of some details ?

Low Viscosity. You can also try silicone oil
(Clearco ST50) I got my problem, for some reason the thermal adhesive tape does not work for me
Crippt

Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2020, 11:41:31 PM

Hello guys,

First of all, sorry for my bad English. I also want to dip a radeon VII in mineral oil. I have already done it before with ASIC miners without any problem except that you have to fix a fan simulator because otherwise the device does not work. The same thing happens with Radeon VII? If I remove the fans it works or the system won't allow me?
Lacuna776 did you get it?

Thanks!!
rikuu

Activity: 102

View Profile
May 23, 2020, 01:04:59 AM

Hello guys,

First of all, sorry for my bad English. I also want to dip a radeon VII in mineral oil. I have already done it before with ASIC miners without any problem except that you have to fix a fan simulator because otherwise the device does not work. The same thing happens with Radeon VII? If I remove the fans it works or the system won't allow me?
Lacuna776 did you get it?

Thanks!!

You should be able to boot and use the GPU with the fan removed.
I don't own a Radeon VII, but I haven't seen any problem with any of my GPUs with the fan removed (including RX Vega, which is the closest I have).
Crippt

View Profile
May 23, 2020, 10:27:43 PM

Thanks!! I will try this week  Wink
Crippt

View Profile
May 24, 2020, 09:56:59 PM

Hi guys

I am trying to remove the box with the fans but I am afraid of breaking the screws and not being able to remove them. Does anyone know exactly what type and metric of screwdriver is needed? There are some bigger than others.

Thank you!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: