Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:56:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottled water claims.  (Read 356 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2020, 07:53:06 AM

Here is a quote fromthe label on the Buxton mineral water bottle in front of me.
Buxton mineral water journeys over 5,000 years until it is forced up through a mile of British rock and bottled at an untouched artesian source.

I don't have a problem with the water as an alternative to my morning coffee, but, come on, do they really expect me to believe that it is over 5,000 years old. What happens when it runs out then - will they start fracking for old water. Smiley
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcltcdigger

Activity: 1988
Merit: 756

To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 08:21:24 AM

Technically they are not wrong.
Water doesn't disapear, or is created, It just changes form and state.

When you drink it, it breaks down in molecules, and eventually evaporates through your skin.
This is then condensed in the atmosphere as clouds, and when the temperature is right, it forms into water droplets which fall down as rain.
Rain is then absorbed by ground and collected deep inside earth crust in pockets, from where it's pushed by pressure back up as a spring
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 08:37:46 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2020, 08:59:27 AM by Cnut237
Merited by OgNasty (2), vapourminer (2)

expect me to believe that it is over 5,000 years old.

They do this through analysis of the various hydrogen and oxygen isotopes in the water, a bit like carbon dating. If the water is isolated i.e. not replenished by new water, then the relative quantities of the different isotopes changes over time due to natural decay.

Technically they are probably correct if they have the data, and 'over' 5,000 years old implies a vague margin of error, so it's better than saying it is 5,000 years old.

As to the benefits of old water... I suspect it's purely a marketing gimmick.

Edit: It looks like tritium is the key isotope here. Interesting stuff:

Water can therefore be “aged” by measuring the relative amount of Tritium to other isotopes of Hydrogen in a water sample. A water sample that is recovered from a subterranean lake may have been there for (say) 100,000 years on average: the point is, that as soon as that water was sequestered away from the atmosphere, the relative amount of Tritium (compared to atmospheric water or recent rainfall) in that water begins to reduce...
https://www.quora.com/How-do-scientists-determine-the-age-of-water
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 09:18:06 AM

There used to be a Portuguese mineral water that claimed "Radioativo Garantido" and I don't think they were lying.
Cnut237
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 09:25:15 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2020, 10:11:43 AM by Cnut237

There used to be a Portuguese mineral water that claimed "Radioativo Garantido" and I don't think they were lying.
Another marketing gimmick; everything is radioactive...
It's the degree and nature of radioactivity that is relevant! Banana Equivalent Dose.

Buxton mineral water journeys over 5,000 years until it is forced up through a mile of British rock and bottled at an untouched artesian source.
I hate this. It's on everything now, since the Brexit referendum. Our rock! Our rock! Not that foreign muck! Our good solid British rock! Perhaps as the ancient water forces its way through that rock it becomes suffused with British ValuesTM ?
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2020, 10:31:53 AM

Well it's getting screwed up because they are allowing the environmentally destructive fracking to operate. The good news about the oil price war is that it could kill fracking. That will screw up banking though, as fracking was never designed to be profitable.
CristianOff

Activity: 421
Merit: 97

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 06:48:00 PM

If you drink a lot of water (2 litres a day at least) you'll notice that Nestle Pure Life water tastes much better than
Buxton water.

I also love Evian water which is more expensive but I feel more hydrated after I drink it (lol)

My family loves Aqua Carpatica but I am not a fan. I had once Svalbardi Polar Iceberg Water which is £70/bottle
and it was the best water I ever had in my life. It tasted fresh and free from other things other waters have.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 07:45:21 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2020, 06:38:38 AM by odolvlobo

I don't have a problem with the water as an alternative to my morning coffee, but, come on, do they really expect me to believe that it is over 5,000 years old. What happens when it runs out then - will they start fracking for old water. Smiley

The water is constantly replenished. In fact, new water sinking into the ground now is what is pushing the old water out of the ground.
palle11

Activity: 2310
Merit: 332

View Profile
March 11, 2020, 10:48:27 PM

Technically they are not wrong.
Water doesn't disapear, or is created, It just changes form and state.

When you drink it, it breaks down in molecules, and eventually evaporates through your skin.
This is then condensed in the atmosphere as clouds, and when the temperature is right, it forms into water droplets which fall down as rain.
Rain is then absorbed by ground and collected deep inside earth crust in pockets, from where it's pushed by pressure back up as a spring

This is purely science. I remember back then in school with your analysis.
That by the way, I understand that water is very good for the body and skin. It helps for good digestion and to avoid constipation.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 02:50:09 AM

Of course it's possible, all they mean is that the water was in the aquifer for 5000 years, which there's no reason why it wouldn't be there for that long. However, even water in aquifers can get polluted. Also there's no reason water wouldn't travel miles in aquifers. Also water is often forced out of aquifers under pressure for centuries.

Water in aquifers, depending on the aquifer also has more of certain kinds of minerals, that being said, I doubt that makes water superior to the purified stuff.

The water that tastes best to me is purified water. Most brands will do. Cheapest is best. Mine comes out to about 7.5 cents per 500ml bottle from either Costco or Sam's.

The best tasting water I've ever had was in a spring up in Greece. Something about the minerals in it. Spring water in Greece tastes awesome, but I'm not talking about the bottled stuff.

The bottled spring water in Florida it just tastes awful to me. Also the tap water. The tap water in Florida has high levels of Chloramines, which tastes worse then water chlorinated the normal way done in Greece. It also kinda smells bad. It also has a little bit of lead in it, but not too much, yet lead fucks you over in any amount, just to a lesser extent I think.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2020, 03:46:40 PM

Leave the water in an open jug for a couple of hours - that gets rid of most of the chlorine.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
March 12, 2020, 04:17:59 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

Leave the water in an open jug for a couple of hours - that gets rid of most of the chlorine.

I'm talking about Chloramines, The water stays nasty tasting overnight.

Back in Greece, with chlorinated water, just putting it in a bottle and putting it in the fridge would take all the chlorine taste out, it probably broke down pretty fast. It'd taste pretty alright at the tap, or out of a garden hose.

Here in Florida it's Chloramines and they don't break down as easily.

Chlorine VS Chloramine in our tap water?
Why you should care to know the difference:

Free chlorine is being kept in drinking water via pipe pressuring.

As soon as it leaves the sink there is no pressure to hold it inside anymore, and it starts to gas-off.

Chloramine, on the other hand, represents the chemical bond between chlorine and ammonia.

Nowadays there’s a good chance that your local authority uses chloramine for water disinfection.

and

2 ppm of Chlorine will take up to 4 and a half days or around 110 hours to evaporate from 10 gallons of standing water. Ultraviolet light, circulation, and aeration will speed up the process dramatically...

...Chloramine, however, doesn’t evaporate as quickly.

In fact, it is pretty stable.

I don't know why they use chloramines. They are actually pretty toxic too.

Here is more information from my local authority as to why they switched from Chlorine to Chloramines. In the UK it'd be illegal to use chloramine as it's not approved.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/utilities/chloramines.htm

Their reasoning is that it's more effective at treating surface water. They argue that it's safe but it has to be removed for certain uses (like for fish owners and kidney dialysis patients.

I wish it was banned.

edit: they're to their
Kuffy

Activity: 127
Merit: 31

The real Jet Cash.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2020, 04:20:29 PM

They used to add aluminium and fluoride to the tap water in England.

Whoops sorry! Please pretend that it was Jet Cash who made this post. Smiley
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2020, 02:58:54 AM

Of course it's possible, all they mean is that the water was in the aquifer for 5000 years, which there's no reason why it wouldn't be there for that long. However, even water in aquifers can get polluted. Also there's no reason water wouldn't travel miles in aquifers. Also water is often forced out of aquifers under pressure for centuries.

Water in aquifers, depending on the aquifer also has more of certain kinds of minerals, that being said, I doubt that makes water superior to the purified stuff.

The water that tastes best to me is purified water. Most brands will do. Cheapest is best. Mine comes out to about 7.5 cents per 500ml bottle from either Costco or Sam's.

The best tasting water I've ever had was in a spring up in Greece. Something about the minerals in it. Spring water in Greece tastes awesome, but I'm not talking about the bottled stuff.

The bottled spring water in Florida it just tastes awful to me. Also the tap water. The tap water in Florida has high levels of Chloramines, which tastes worse then water chlorinated the normal way done in Greece. It also kinda smells bad. It also has a little bit of lead in it, but not too much, yet lead fucks you over in any amount, just to a lesser extent I think.

yep just h2o and nothing else is water.

No product from the ground is just water.  it is water and chemicals. minerals etc.

the problem with all water not sold as purified is you have no idea what is in it since it is either added minerals or natural minerals.

if you buy purified water there are simple tests.

see if it supports electrolysis pure water does not short out electricity.

see if it leaves residues if boiled away in a pot on the stove.

pure water will leave zip nada nothing.

some purified water will leave a very small amount of black carbon since it may or may not have passed through a carbon filter to improve taste.

i am all for drinking various things but if i am drinking water i drink reverse osmosis then distilled in my still.

this water has zip nada nothing in it  and you can drop a 120 volt extension cord into it with no shorting.

i found this out by accident.

almost no bottled water other then purified nothing added water does this.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2020, 12:49:39 PM
Merited by Cnut237 (1)

I bought some black water that had been reduced in a supermarket. For some reason, people don't seem to like black water, which is surprising given that the government tells us how beneficial fracking is. The water tasted like ---> water, so I don't know what had turned it black. Normal price was stupidly expensive though.
Cnut237
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2020, 03:46:48 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

For some reason, people don't seem to like black water, which is surprising given that the government tells us how beneficial fracking is.

Got to merit that  Grin

It wasn't this stuff, was it?

There's a typo on their website:

"BLK. is the first ever super water that is black in colour due to the fulvic trace minerals. BLK contains powerful electrolytes and a high pH, so once you take a sip of it, you get some serious hydration along with a clean refreshing taste"

That should read:

"BLK. is the first ever super water that is black in colour due to the fulvic trace minerals. BLK contains WATER, so once you take a sip of it, you get some serious hydration along with a clean refreshing taste"
GazetaBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 6546

Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker

View Profile
March 17, 2020, 09:42:53 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), Cnut237 (1)

Anybody tried yet the dehydrated water? Smiley

If we talk about water which journeys 5000 years until seeing the Sun light, why not mentioning this kind of water too?

So basically, you pour in some water whatever is in the can and the result is... water!
Cnut237
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2020, 04:35:11 PM

Anybody tried yet the dehydrated water? Smiley

There's actually a dehydrated water farm in the US. There are reports of people driving at over 200mph there - presumably because they are desperate for the toilet because of all that (dehydrated) water.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
April 02, 2020, 09:45:23 PM

if you want to know how bottled water companies think of their customers.. read evian backwards
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 19, 2020, 08:55:48 PM

--snip--

i am all for drinking various things but if i am drinking water i drink reverse osmosis then distilled in my still.

--snip--

fellow distilled water drinker here, i also have a still.

for me I don't see the need for reverse osmosis if you are just going to distill the water. why reverse osmosis first?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: