Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:36:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Notebook computers to use for ASIC USB without running out of resources  (Read 838 times)
greenalliancegroup (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:36:50 AM

I want to get feedback from the community. I am looking to purchase another notebook or ultra book to be dedicated to mining. Does anyone know any good notebooks or ultra books on the market where you get more than 4 or more USB ports where you can plug in more than 31 USB items limit.

Currently I am running 31 BFL miners and using 4 ANKER hubs. Although I am using windows 8.1. The computer keeps saying it does not have anymore resources to support additional USB connection after my 31st add on to my hubs.

Does anyone know any Notebook brands where I can push the limit to 40-50 add ons and carries 4-6 USB slots stock. I am not big fan of windows but its cheapest around to purchase a notebook.

I am looking to start Gridseed operation. Thanks guys

Crypto to da MOOOOON!
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greenalliancegroup (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:43:45 PM

Does anyone know?
Zillions

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:09:38 AM

Look into a Raspberry Pi or a Beagle bone
bitwizard

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:22:03 PM

www.hardkernel.com.
greenalliancegroup (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:59:08 PM

Would this be able to support 30 or more Gridseeds?
miroman86

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:32:36 PM

Would this be able to support 30 or more Gridseeds?

Specs look better than RPI's, and RPI's can take up to 49 miners (at least from what I've read in forums)...

TechByPC

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:51:36 AM

I have an older eee netbook PC with an Atom processor running my own install of Debian on it. It currently has over 50 USB devices plugged in. This includes a new Gridseed 5 chip I just purchased, 6 Chilis, 6 Jalapenos, and a bank of USB block erupters. It also runs stratum proxy for a bank of 10 blades. I think I bought the thing 3 years ago as a refurbished model on Newegg for $150 or so.

I have a raspberry PI, but it wasn't able to handle the load, so I dug this out and it has turned out to be the perfect solution. Every time the power has gone out it has remained powered up from its battery and just waiting for the devices to re-power.
greenalliancegroup (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:29:37 AM

I have an older eee netbook PC with an Atom processor running my own install of Debian on it. It currently has over 50 USB devices plugged in. This includes a new Gridseed 5 chip I just purchased, 6 Chilis, 6 Jalapenos, and a bank of USB block erupters. It also runs stratum proxy for a bank of 10 blades. I think I bought the thing 3 years ago as a refurbished model on Newegg for $150 or so.

I have a raspberry PI, but it wasn't able to handle the load, so I dug this out and it has turned out to be the perfect solution. Every time the power has gone out it has remained powered up from its battery and just waiting for the devices to re-power.

with your old eee netbook PC. What was your results with Windows if you don't mind me asking. how easy was the install?
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:17:06 PM

U should not be using windows for mining!! use linux instead its a lot more stable!!
TechByPC

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:34:56 PM

My eee came with windows starter edition. I spent about an hour looking at it so I would understand its limitations and then I installed Debian Linux. It's uptime is months, and I am sure I would have had worse luck with any version of windows.
greenalliancegroup (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:47:27 AM

U should not be using windows for mining!! use linux instead its a lot more stable!!

I agree windows is joke. Although not tech savvy with Linux. How easy is the install for BFLs or Avalon boards?
greenalliancegroup (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:48:06 AM

Bill Gates brought MS DOS for 10,000 USD so we can't expect too much from windows lol. The foundation cost 10k. lol
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:26:32 AM

I agree windows is joke. Although not tech savvy with Linux. How easy is the install for BFLs or Avalon boards?
Linux is great, and most of the controllers we use are Linux, but Windows can be set up to be just as stable, and is often times easier! I've had Windooze running on little netbooks controlling USB miners for months on end with zero issues.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:42:36 AM

Its called a Raspberry Pi.
kd4zqe

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 07:03:37 AM

I also love my little Eee. I've got a bank of 14BE's running on an ultra-basic installation of Win7 Pro, and it's been cranking away as my mining controller for about 3 months, uninterrupted. Any powerfails I've had have been covered by my 350VA UPS, and I haven't had any internet failures from the cable company, even during power outages. I figure they're piping juice down the cables just in case to their nodes. I'm hardwired from the NIC, but I tried it wireless for a bit and had no issues. I don't know about a full bank of BE's, but with appropriately chained powered hubs, I can't see it being an issue.

I can also RDP into it at any time and check its status, though I've never had to intervene.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: