Bitcoin Forum
July 15, 2024, 09:55:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to switch from CPU to GPU (Mining)  (Read 136 times)
marimange (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2020, 04:02:44 AM

I'm new and i started to mining an altcoin with its own wallet core, i'm confused and i need a little help.

When i setgenerate, mining starts with CPU which i don't want it and i don't know how to switch and start running in GPU.

Graphic Card : Nvidia Quadro FX 1700
2 Processors :  AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 5000b - 2.60 GHz

I know it is not fast enough but what do you think should i mine with GPU or CPU , if GPU please tell me how to setgenerate in order mining to run in GPU.

Thank you
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723

View Profile
March 14, 2020, 04:36:45 AM

I'm new and i started to mining an altcoin with its own wallet core, i'm confused and i need a little help.

When i setgenerate, mining starts with CPU which i don't want it and i don't know how to switch and start running in GPU.

Graphic Card : Nvidia Quadro FX 1700
2 Processors :  AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 5000b - 2.60 GHz

I know it is not fast enough but what do you think should i mine with GPU or CPU , if GPU please tell me how to setgenerate in order mining to run in GPU.

Thank you

Which coin are you mining exactly? Generally these days you should use a pool and never solo mine a coin because you will never find a block which means "a block of coins".

The main wallets are only for CPU mining you cant switch to GPU. For GPU you will need another miner software. GPU mining will always be faster than your CPU.

Unfortunately you can't mine anything with your GPU. Its a very old class GPU and no algos are designed for it. Try and find an RX 470 GPU second hand somewhere and add it to your PC and you can mine ETH then. Should cost around $80 second hand.

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████
███████████▄▄█████▄▄█████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
JayDDee

Activity: 1413
Merit: 224

View Profile
March 14, 2020, 06:35:27 AM

Unfortunately you can't mine anything with your GPU. Its a very old class GPU and no algos are designed for it.

The same goes for your CPU, your system is just too old.

What you have been doing is using the wallet's built in miner, which is usually a waste of time even with a decent
CPU. You can't mine that way with a GPU.

There are coins that can be mined primarilly with a CPU, it depends on the algo.

You can solo mine by setting up RPC in the wallet (research for instructions) using an external
CPU or GPU miner, provided you have a suitable CPU or GPU.

Solo mining generally requires a lot of mining power making it impractical for a single CPU or GPU.
Pool mining is more appropriate.

I'll leave recommendations for specific hardware to others, but that's what you need to start.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: