Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:17:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Used Seed as Public Key. Am I Safe?  (Read 911 times)
Zetler (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:10:16 AM

I made a "n00b" mistake. I installed Electrum on my main computer. I then installed Electrum also on my second computer. I choose the view-only version but made the mistake of typing in the seed instead of the master public key.

Obviously it was a stupid mistake, but do I in any way risk that other stole my seed?
(No one else uses that computer, so question is rather if that public key, which is the actually the seed of my main wallet, gets sent online somehow for others to see?)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 09:07:18 AM

I made a "n00b" mistake. I installed Electrum on my main computer. I then installed Electrum also on my second computer. I choose the view-only version but made the mistake of typing in the seed instead of the master public key.

Obviously it was a stupid mistake, but do I in any way risk that other stole my seed?
(No one else uses that computer, so question is rather if that public key, which is the actually the seed of my main wallet, gets sent online somehow for others to see?)

the master public key is not sent to the servers, so there's no danger that it was sent online.
however, the master public key is written unencrypted on your hard drive.
for that reason, I would rather consider this seed as potentially compromised, and move your coins to a new wallet

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
ewittt

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 12:07:16 PM

i encrypted my  public keys Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: