Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:49:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay away from centralized wallets  (Read 3893 times)
Eplus_Team

Activity: 42
Merit: 3

View Profile
April 14, 2020, 11:59:33 AM

Not your keys, not your coins.
The principle is simple, so be more selective in choosing a wallet or exchange that you will use to store crypto. Everyone has their own tendenciel. Whats important is where you choose your service provider. Some of the members above also like Xapo wallet, contrary to you, we do not force it. Your experience can be a lesson for everyone to not experience the same loss.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinfinger

Activity: 1638
Merit: 278

View Profile
April 14, 2020, 06:19:50 PM

That you had such experience doesn't automatically make centralized wallets/exchanges bad. There are lots of good centralized wallets that are even better than Dex, and the Coinbase you have mentioned is one of the best, if not the number one. And moreover I don't believe the story you have told here lol; how did you lose your account, you woke up and it automatically disappeared? Or that you forgot or lost access to your email that you used to create the account on Coinbase?

As far as I know, Coinbase account can only be created using an email and password and there is no way you will lose access to that account as long as you still have your email. It's also very secure and when you want to login they have a verification mode where you will have to verify the login using your email. So, I don't see what's wrong with Coinbase, they even store coins in cold storage, so I don't see what problem you have with them.
SistaFista

Activity: 1638
Merit: 251

Hexhash.xyz

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 06:48:24 AM

The principle is simple, so be more selective in choosing a wallet or exchange that you will use to store crypto. Everyone has their own tendenciel. Whats important is where you choose your service provider. Some of the members above also like Xapo wallet, contrary to you, we do not force it. Your experience can be a lesson for everyone to not experience the same loss.

Absolutely right. When we don't own our key, then we cannot ensure the coin is always in our control.
I prefer to use web wallet or desktop wallet for storing coins in long term, using centralized wallet is not recommended for holding coins.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
            ████ 
       ████████████
       ████████████
       ████ ████     
       ████ ████     
    ████████████     
    ████████████     
       ████     
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
HEXHASH.XYZ
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
WEB3 INFRASTRUCTURE TO POWER THE
FUTURE CREDENTIAL DATA NETWORKS
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
chabbbi

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 07:13:26 AM

Do you even know the difference between Centralized wallets and Dec wallets? Days back I lost my coinbase account and the team aren't helping, I'm glad I only have little Bitcoin on the account, would have been a different story if I use coinomi or atomic wallet because they give users 💯 control over their funds, private keys and recovery seed are important, always remember that

Example of Centralized wallets
1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

Any wallets that ask you create an account with mail and password is centralized, they monitor your private keys for you, be smart

I don't use any  of those wallets. I always use blockchain wallet from the first time i join in crypto trade. Blockchain is the best and secured wallet. So why will i use third party wallets. Coinbase did many problems from me and they didn't helped when i did kyc but their behave kicked me back to blockchain.

I'm using Aladdin Wallet for a more secure wallet and it has unique features. Aladdin wallet is a non-custodial and multi-account wallet that can allow users to send, receive, and stake digital assets safely and conveniently.   Cool
Lhaine

Activity: 742
Merit: 128

Coinbene.com - Experience Fast Crypto Trading

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 10:23:44 AM

Exchange wallet should always be use only just for exchanging it for other currency and not for storing it for long time. You may not be experiencing any bad things using that exchange  today but who knows if that exchange you will have a problem someday.

Only use a wallet that you have control for storing large amount of money/crypto.
Kezacky

Activity: 743
Merit: 10

https://www.epsiloan.xyz

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 10:34:51 AM

if you want to secure your assets or store them in a centralized wallet I recommend with Trust Wallet. Why? because this centralized wallet is safe and if something bad happens to the wallet, there is a possibility that the developer will return the lost assets, if you can provide proof that you are a true wallet user.

smyslov

Activity: 2002
Merit: 269

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 10:53:41 AM

Any wallets that ask you create an account with mail and password is centralized, they monitor your private keys for you, be smart

People who invested and store their wallet for the long term should know various kind of wallets and they should learn to read the TOS of every wallet that they are going to use, you must be able to transfer your wallet with your private key and they must not have access to your seed or private key, if they have, then don't use their wallet.
aemma
Copper Member

Activity: 966
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 11:25:26 AM

Just as it goes, centralized wallets, it is good enough for people to be cautious and preferably stay away as the owners or creators of the wallet can still manipulate to get what they want. In terms of ERC tokens, using trusted wallets like Trust wallet, Enjin etc is good and in case of a new project with a different wallet, asking the team directly for the recommended wallet is the best idea and if possible link to get the wallet. Carefulness is very important when dealing with wallets since we store our assets on them.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 07:25:58 PM

Do you even know the difference between Centralized wallets and Dec wallets? Days back I lost my coinbase account and the team aren't helping, I'm glad I only have little Bitcoin on the account, would have been a different story if I use coinomi or atomic wallet because they give users 💯 control over their funds, private keys and recovery seed are important, always remember that

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

Centralized wallets prove to be an easier way to manage crypto assets than decentralized ones, especially for newcomers in the crypto space. The responsibility of securing crypto funds against hacks/theft, and maintaining custody of private keys, lies on the service provider itself instead of the end user. It's easy enough for anyone to create an account in the aforementioned sites without a deep understanding of crypto whatsoever. Since service providers are the custodian of your crypto funds, they can do whatever they want with them (freezing, confiscating assets) just as Banks do with Fiat today. With decentralized wallets, you and only you have control of your crypto funds.

As long as you "own" the private key that unlocks your crypto balance, your funds will be as safe as you want them to be. You don't have to worry about getting your account frozen, funds confiscated, or experiencing undesired hacks (depends on how well you secure your crypto assets). Of course, it's less convenient to use a decentralized wallet since the responsibility of securing crypto funds lies in the person himself. But I'd say that this is so much better than using a third-party service (centralized) that truly defeats the purpose crypto was created for.

Nonetheless, I believe that most people are aware about the risks involved when using centralized wallets. But they'd prefer convenience over security because it's the easiest route to take. As long as people continue to use and patronize centralized wallet providers, the risks of hacks/theft will always be there. Smart crypto users will use decentralized wallets to grasp the full benefits of crypto. Just my thoughts Grin

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
abake

Activity: 555
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 08:17:01 PM

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

Centralized wallets are traps set and waiting for whom it will catch but its always easier to understand and manoeuvre through, hence the reason why most people use it

[ IQ ]           cash            ▐               THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                          ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
FlamingFingers

Activity: 1330
Merit: 288

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 08:55:40 PM

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

Thanks for this vital information, I have to agree with you on this, I could remember vividly when a friend of mine luno account was hacked,  despite having 2fa activated,  the name centralized says it all,  anything can happen to funds at anytime,  because there is no control over your wallet personally

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
naureen978

Activity: 490
Merit: 1

I love to trade crypto & hold it for future profit

View Profile
April 15, 2020, 10:09:19 PM

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

If you want to save and secure your crypto then I suggest never hold your crypto on centralized wallet because they have access to your assets. In this way they can do anything with your crypto / assets. Therefore I always recommend my friends for decentralized wallet specially hardware wallet is the best or where you can get your wallet key or seeds phrase those wallet are save.

Good luck

─────────   CitizenFinance.io   ─────────
A DECENTRALIZED GAMING PLATFORM POWERING
THE NEXT-GEN NFT-BASED UTILITIES
Sultanar484
Copper Member

Activity: 232

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 02:08:26 AM

I don't use any  of those wallets. I always use blockchain wallet from the first time i join in crypto trade. Blockchain is the best and secured wallet. So why will i use third party wallets. Coinbase did many problems from me and they didn't helped when i did kyc but their behave kicked me back to blockchain.

noorman0

Activity: 1764
Merit: 694

[Nope]No hype delivers more than hope

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2020, 05:40:40 AM

If you want to save and secure your crypto then I suggest never hold your crypto on centralized wallet because they have access to your assets. In this way they can do anything with your crypto / assets. Therefore I always recommend my friends for decentralized wallet specially hardware wallet is the best or where you can get your wallet key or seeds phrase those wallet are save.

Good luck

It only depends on the user's needs.
Some traders don't like to save a lot of PK because of their active transactions with various types of coins so they prefer multi-crypto wallets to save assets because it is more efficient. Despite losing access due to a password or e-mail, they still have the chance to recover many times with the help of support.

Decentralized wallet has many advantages in terms of security, yep we know that. It's just that, if the PK leak once, then forever the wallet is not ours.

This space for rent.
Available in mid January 2024 - PM me
kensaii

Activity: 396
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 10:19:12 AM

I wouldn't use any wallet that can't have the basic recovery option like private keys and recovery seed. Sad to hear your loss but this is usually a must when using any wallet service. Definitely put all the wallets you mentioned about to blacklist.
Psynthax

Activity: 2296
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 11:53:01 AM

Good luck

It only depends on the user's needs.
Some traders don't like to save a lot of PK because of their active transactions with various types of coins so they prefer multi-crypto wallets to save assets because it is more efficient. Despite losing access due to a password or e-mail, they still have the chance to recover many times with the help of support.

Decentralized wallet has many advantages in terms of security, yep we know that. It's just that, if the PK leak once, then forever the wallet is not ours.
That's indeed the problem that we are facing, something forcing ourselves to adopt the decentralization kind self harming but centralized wallet also come with biggest disadvantages to the people who are using it though they might be ignorant about it simply because it's not happening immediately. For example when the wallet of an exchange got hacked and the client got no reimbursement and many more. Pick what suit you best I guess.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Flux0z

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 02:16:02 PM

Same can be said about exchanges.

Stop using them, and try DEX's like Blocknet if you want to feel the experience of being in full control of your funds at all times.

A friend of mine lost $3500 on Cryptopia when it was hacked, and I'm sure there are PLENTY of others out there who's lost thousands due to storing cryptocurrecies on exchanges.
FlamingFingers

Activity: 1330
Merit: 288

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 02:35:16 PM

Same can be said about exchanges.

Stop using them, and try DEX's like Blocknet if you want to feel the experience of being in full control of your funds at all times.

DEX's does not have much coins to trade on unlike CEX, low liquidity and somewhat complex to use for new traders, I could remember when etherdelta firstly came out then,  lots of traders lost their funds due to the complexity of the exchange. the best thing to do is for one to not use CEX in storing coin,  it should be basically meant for trading,  or better still look for the wallet of the coin you wanna hold and download it for storing your coins rather than holding it on CEX.  You cannot stop using CEX, you just have to be careful about the amount you put in it

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Lasky366

Activity: 280
Merit: 43

View Profile
April 16, 2020, 04:46:07 PM

Hmm rightly so!Centralize wallet is like centralize exchange. Anytime without a notice you can lose your funds so easily. Even though everyone knows coinbase is one of the most popular cryptocurrency wallet but their support don't even work.So what point is make if you want to store your fund don't choose any centralize exchange or wallet. You must choose an offline wallet to store your funds safely.
Lizzylove1

Activity: 858
Merit: 13

Christ The King

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 03:57:04 AM

Do not say blockchain wallet is not the best crypto most secured wallet. Users have complained of may hacks who had use SMS option for 2FA, more so experts have always reported bug on the wallet. More so, this supports only the legacy wallet which could lead to more transaction fee and longer time to confirm as compared to segwit.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: