Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:23:44 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google GMAIL March 31 Policy Change and how it affects US  (Read 179 times)
BTCgrinders.com (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 474
Merit: 3

Exclusive Crypto Rebates for Poker/Sports/Trading!

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2020, 02:11:04 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2020, 04:24:59 PM by BTCgrinders.com

Could anyone knowledgeable chime in on the new policy change and how that could affect users?

What we're afraid of is that the new policy could give them excuse to shutdown random accounts for breach of policy but the policy seems so vague. Seems like they could close your account without notice for "hate" and a lot of other general stuff. We've all chatted with good friends and said friendly but vicious things if you know what I mean. Such as "stfu" or "Diagf".

This could spell a lot of trouble for someone that has say a wallet linked to their email with a 200 bitcoin balance.

Here is the link:

https://policies.google.com/u/4/terms/update?utm_source=hpp&utm_medium=pushdown&utm_campaign=tosrow

BTCgrinders.com (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2020, 04:23:34 PM

Bump. This could affect a lot of us!

Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
March 19, 2020, 05:16:28 AM

Doesn't decentralized peer-to-peer email exist?

Well, If you fully control your mails, I don't see how Google will be able to shut it down for no good reason.
We have depended too much on centralized powers for all most anything these days. It's high time we started decentralizing, owning our most cherished data, using peer-to-peer.  If these can't be achieved on the current internet then we'll have to abondon it for safe internet
Negotiation

Activity: 1092
Merit: 267

Need a Helping hand? https://tinyurl.com/2p94uabm

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2020, 08:23:18 AM

I agree with you because no one can ever close our account if we act according to the rules If we break their rules and commit a scam they will be forced to do so. They are less so in the case of decentralization networks There is no hassle and the user can be very easy for anyone to use. However there are some problems with understanding the new rules when it comes to policy change.
BTCgrinders.com (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2020, 04:43:11 AM

Well, If you fully control your mails, I don't see how Google will be able to shut it down for no good reason.
We have depended too much on centralized powers for all most anything these days. It's high time we started decentralizing, owning our most cherished data, using peer-to-peer.  If these can't be achieved on the current internet then we'll have to abondon it for safe internet

That's an option. Is switching emails worth it for major bitcoin users?

YourNeko

Activity: 33
Merit: 59

How do I change my username

View Profile
June 02, 2020, 12:05:34 PM

If your security and privacy is something of such grand value to you, I'd advise you look in to alternatives.
https://www.reddit.com/r/degoogle/ - This is an excellent resource to begin detaching yourself from google technology.
If you mean just GMAIL as an email service, I advise you look in to alternative mail such as riseup.net & gmx.com, I personally have used both and can attest to the fact that just functioning as email, either of those are better than gmail.

Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2020, 10:07:38 PM

You can actually run your own server, but you need a domain name and probably your own (fixed) IP for it. Of course the smtp part should be properly configured with security in mind, (ie, password) so it doesn't become a spammer's gateway.

BUT, some ISPs are picky about you running your own server, even for private reasons. You might be forced to use non standard ports etc...

Email is decentralized in this fashion. There is also a similar solution for instant messengers, but people are stubborn and cling to proprietary products.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: [1]
  Print