Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:52:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Blockchain-based decentralized instant messaging apps?  (Read 176 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 01:25:13 AM

If you've been following crypto land's latest developments, you'll notice that there a new trend called "decentralized messaging". Basically, a person can use a decentralized messaging software of his/her choice that promotes freedom of speech powered by the Blockchain itself. There are no companies behind, no data is stored on centralized servers, etc. So far, I'm aware of two decentralized messengers which use the power of Blockchain technology in order to provide true privacy/anonymity to the end user. All data is stored locally (in some apps) or on the Blockchain itself protected by an encryption algorithm.

The "Status Network" (uses ETH blockchain) and Adamant Messenger (uses its own Blockchain network) apps are truly revolutionary. They're considered as better alternatives to existing centralized messaging apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. While the aforementioned decentralized projects are good, I want to know if there are better decentralized messaging apps out there that would make use of Blockchain technology.

Do you know which are the best decentralized messaging apps out there besides Status or Adamant Messenger? Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Python Master
Copper Member

Activity: 406
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 01:48:02 AM

Dust (https://usedust.com) seems the most popular app among decentralized instant messaging apps.
Telegram is not a Blockchain-based decentralized app but it's safe and it's the primary choice of crypto community now. Messages sent in Telegram are encrypted and we can set self-destruct for messages, account self-destruct is also available.

In the silence

Activity: 1290
Merit: 294

''Vincit qui se vincit''

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 02:13:59 AM

https://www.horizen.global/ I came accross this project and read that it is decentralized and encryoted messages that are instant.

Also I like this concept, Horizen is building a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) as a voting mechanism to allocate treasury funds to continue the development of the Horizen platform.
OasisDre

Activity: 532
Merit: 41

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 06:56:34 AM

Since 2018 I've seen many projects using decentralized instant messaging as one of their use cases which isn't bad at all but it seems like only very few people wants to use this Dex messengers, it seems they aren't entirely needed that bad just like how Dapps are suffering now

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
bgaf

Activity: 644
Merit: 257

Worldwide Payments Accepted in Seconds!

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 07:47:16 AM

Dust (https://usedust.com) seems the most popular app among decentralized instant messaging apps.
Im not familiar with it. But surely I agreed with OP that so far Status Network is the most useful and the only instant messaging app that covers direct send and receieve of crypto using their platform.

https://www.horizen.global/ I came accross this project and read that it is decentralized and encryoted messages that are instant.
Ive seen this, but I dont know that Harizen project is about decentralized app that also works on instant messages. It us currently on top 100 on CMC will check more details about it.

Since 2018 I've seen many projects using decentralized instant messaging as one of their use cases which isn't bad at all but it seems like only very few people wants to use this Dex messengers, it seems they aren't entirely needed that bad just like how Dapps are suffering now
For me they are just creating an easier way to transact or execute transactions. But for some this issue is quite risky especially using mobile phones that can easily be compromised. But I like the idea though. Hope more platforms will be mentioned here.
Greatchu

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 07:57:03 AM

It's no doubt that decentralized techs owns the future but the problem is many aren't really into them especially Decentralized instant messengers, the last one that came out last year was Nestree which is a 100% Decentralized messengers

Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 09:49:42 AM

I have seen status couple of times. I haven't really used it yet. Not very sure about using it now. Will probably research Adamant Messenger  soon.
By the way, Freedom of speech in my humble opinion should be saying things the "right way" otherwise a community risks encouraging evil to spread and getting vulnerable to attacks. .. that is always an opportunity for "evil entity" to attack, destroy and enslave a community. Communications have to be decent.
joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 12:42:13 PM

Thanks for sharing these insights @OP I never knew such instant messaging applications have already been deployed and being used. But then i tend to wonder why most crypto users are still stuck with Discord and Telegram though i personally prefer Discord to telegram due to the organization of chat channels.
Anybody also heard any recent development of the launch of telegram blockchain.

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
skeleto88

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 01:32:33 PM

Also I like this concept, Horizen is building a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) as a voting mechanism to allocate treasury funds to continue the development of the Horizen platform.
I don't know that horizen has that kind of feature, I only know its minning feature and I would say its quite good cause you can get decent amount zen especially when multiplier is on. I don't know any blockchain base messaging ap exept for adamant, the app has unique features, and you can also different coins such eth, btc, bnb in the app.
Bitbtc8

Activity: 1148
Merit: 116

View Profile
March 20, 2020, 02:27:58 PM

I promoted Nestree last year and it's a fully functioning decentralized messenger, tried it out and it's cool, more like telegram or FB messenger but secured, problem is only asian people are using the platform

►           ►     enVoy            Sustainably Green Trust in Trade          ◄           ◄
►           ██  WHITEPAPER       ██  TWO PAGER       ██  TOKEN DECK           ◄
[vFacebook               [vTwitter               [vTelegram               [vMedium               [vLinkedin               [vReddit
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2020, 08:46:12 PM

Telegram is not a Blockchain-based decentralized app but it's safe and it's the primary choice of crypto community now. Messages sent in Telegram are encrypted and we can set self-destruct for messages, account self-destruct is also available.

Thanks for sharing. Although this is not a Blockchain-based messaging app, it's at least a decentralized alternative to existing solutions available across the web. I've also been checking the "Matrix" protocol which is truly revolutionary. AFAIK, the new Riot instant messaging app is based on the "Matrix" protocol being decentralized at the core level. It's not Blockchain-based, but it does its job nicely. The app has built-in encryption, with support for creating your own server for piece of mind. It's very similar to traditional services like Discord and Slack. I'd suggest anyone to give it a try.

As far as Blockchain-based solutions go, I haven't seen many of them across crypto land. The number of developers working on instant messaging blockchain projects is very low. I know that Bitcoin's innovative technology is not meant to be used for everything. But I believe that it could bring a greater level of security for encrypted messages sent across the web. So far, Status and Adamant messenger are my favorite Blockchain-based messaging apps because of the features they provide. Status serves as both an instant messenger and an Ethereum dApp browser, which is very convenient on mobile devices. Adamant, on the other hand, has its own separate blockchain network which is not widely known in the crypto space.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if more projects emerge that would use Blockchain technology for true decentralization/censorship-resistance. The limited number of decentralized solutions serve their purpose well for bringing true freedom in the way we communicate with each other. At least, it's better something than nothing. Grin

Interesting. Another Blockchain-based decentralized messaging solution. I've thought Horizen was only about crypto transactions (money), but it's good to know that the project is heading far beyond that. A great way to send/receive messages without fear of censorship from a central authority. Messengers like these should be promoted more often, in order to let the world know that there's an alternative to Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp. It's no secret that these traditional messaging services go against users' privacy. A Blockchain-based instant messaging app will do wonders in preserving freedom of speech as we know it.

Hopefully, we'd get to see more projects in the industry that would widen our options for decentralized messaging between peers. Just my opinion Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
qazgroup

Activity: 1022
Merit: 20

RiveMont

View Profile
March 27, 2020, 08:52:11 PM

There are many but i have not tried any of them yet, i participated in an ico called Exscudo 2-3 years back they also have their decentralized secure messaging and payment app called channels another anticipated project called Atromg8 is also developing its chat app. I think all these secure, decentralized apps will take over traditional apps but they will need a lot of time for general public awareness and adoption.

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
itsv

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2020, 09:06:51 PM

In term of privacy another project is LOKI main objective of this project is to make secure transactions and anonymous communication. They have a private messenger called "Session"

there is one of EOS blockchain called sense Chat And for ethereum block chain we have E-chat though i havn't used all of them except status i used that for a while last year as i bought few tokens.  Telegram TON is another upcoming project to look out for
jacafbiz

Activity: 2086
Merit: 530

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
March 27, 2020, 09:27:47 PM

For me I do not really believe all these projects are indeed decentralized, can we not where the messages on their platforms are stored. A lot has really happened in this space, do anyone remember Fortknox project, raise several millions from their ICOs and nothing of note to point to, want to be a decentralized telegram

█████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ife2020

Activity: 579
Merit: 13

Are you kind to your neighbor? Think it through

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2020, 09:53:27 PM

I don't know if keybase falls into question. But it is a very good messaging apps.
Incorporated with stellar blockchain, and permits several encrypted chats with peers.

For me, it is the most reliable chat app i have used so far in the blockchain stage.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2020, 12:07:06 AM

In term of privacy another project is LOKI main objective of this project is to make secure transactions and anonymous communication. They have a private messenger called "Session"

there is one of EOS blockchain called sense Chat And for ethereum block chain we have E-chat though i havn't used all of them except status i used that for a while last year as i bought few tokens.  Telegram TON is another upcoming project to look out for

Interesting. For once, I've heard "LOKI" but didn't know about the private messaging feature. It seems to be a very undervalued project considering all the features it provides. Being a Blockchain-based instant messaging app, I'd say it has its perks/benefits to traditional messaging apps as we speak. I've been giving "Sense Chat" a test drive, and I'd say that it's a very useful messaging app powered by the EOS blockchain. It's even better than traditional apps like Signal, Telegram, or Facebook Messenger. At least, the technology is there. But how well this would be adopted in the mainstream world will be another story.

As far as ETH goes, both Status and E-chat are good instant messaging apps powered by Blockchain technology. But I believe that Status has better chances of success because of better support from its developers. With a successful ICO back a few years ago, Status could become one of the biggest instant messaging apps on the Blockchain space. I haven't tried E-chat before, but it's a great alternative to have in case all other apps cease from development and innovation. Smiley

I don't know if keybase falls into question. But it is a very good messaging apps.
Incorporated with stellar blockchain, and permits several encrypted chats with peers.

For me, it is the most reliable chat app i have used so far in the blockchain stage.

I don't think "Keybase" is based entirely on the Blockchain. As far as I know, it has a built-in Stellar wallet for XLM payments. I believe that the messaging protocol and encryption algorithm is entirely done "off-chain" than anything else. This could still work without the Blockchain if the app has a decentralized model. I wouldn't consider "Keybase" to be completely private if it relies on some sort of centralized infrastructure exposing your messaging history to third parties. Just my thoughts Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: