Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:41:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Random wallet.dat files on USB stick  (Read 262 times)
V8x8d (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 24, 2020, 08:51:46 PM

Found a stack of wallets from 2014, but I have no idea what coins they relate to (the fact that they aren't labelled probably means they are garbage though). Any painless ways of identifying these crypto's from the wallet.dat files alone? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
V8x8d (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2020, 10:01:33 AM

Surely someone has resolved this issue before.
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
March 25, 2020, 10:18:17 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I personally cannot help because I lack the necessary knowledge, but this may help you out: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/19589/how-to-determine-what-type-of-coins-a-wallet-dat-contains

I believe you need Linux to run pywallet though. I'd rather run it on an offline Live Linux CD to minimize risks.
V8x8d (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2020, 06:01:51 PM
Merited by 20kevin20 (1)

I personally cannot help because I lack the necessary knowledge, but this may help you out: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/19589/how-to-determine-what-type-of-coins-a-wallet-dat-contains

I believe you need Linux to run pywallet though. I'd rather run it on an offline Live Linux CD to minimize risks.

I know next to nothing about python, but I'll give it a go (cheers). I started putting these wallets into various blockchains but kept getting '0/unconfirmed, not in memory pool' for the receiving transactions and the transaction ID is invalid. I got excited when I saw 1690 in Dash only to have my hopes dashed later.
Ryutaro

Activity: 202
Merit: 180

It's precious, protect it!

View Profile
March 25, 2020, 07:45:00 PM

Hey, try moving your topic to Development & Technical Discussion section, maybe you can get some help there.
btcltcdigger

Activity: 1988
Merit: 756

To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...

View Profile
March 25, 2020, 07:54:04 PM

If i remember correctly, you should be able to open it with a text editor and spot the coin TICKER.
But i might be mistaken, it's been 5 years since i touched a local wallet
V8x8d (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2020, 09:50:31 PM

If i remember correctly, you should be able to open it with a text editor and spot the coin TICKER.

I just tried that with a Bitcoin wallet.dat file and was unable to locate the ticker BTC. Good shout though (it did look promising).
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2020, 10:21:55 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), ABCbits (1)

It will work for wallet.dat which is unencrypted you can just open it with notepad or notepad++ and you will see all inside the wallet.dat including a public key and private keys.

But if it's encrypted there's no way to see them with any text editor.

@V8x8d
Can you check this one below and maybe it will work you will need a Linux Based OS.

- What alt-coins do they have (and may be how much)?

Once you get the addresses you can paste one of the addresses extracted from the wallet.dat here and let us find it for you.
If the prefix of the wallet address looks the same as 1 or 3 at the beginning of the address then it is a bitcoin wallet but if it shows different prefix you might need to refer on this prefix list below.

- Altcoin Prefixes

This is not a complete list but if you can post the address maybe we can determine which altcoin that this wallet.dat belongs.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
tianxie

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2020, 09:23:43 AM
Merited by bones261 (4), keychainX (2)

Found a stack of wallets from 2014, but I have no idea what coins they relate to (the fact that they aren't labelled probably means they are garbage though). Any painless ways of identifying these crypto's from the wallet.dat files alone?  

You simply open them with notepad and search for the string "name"

If the following string starts with 1 and looks like this

1CC3X2gu58d6wXUWMffpuzN9JAfTUWu4Kj

its a bitcoin. If the first character starts with  L for Litecoin etc. As long as they have transactions. If there is no "name" string then they are most probably empty

For a list of altcoin names you can search the web

Tian

为中东地区的中国投资者提供比特币
V8x8d (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2020, 08:08:43 PM

Thanks for the help guys, however I managed to accumulate a steaming pile of crap; Execoin, Hirocoin, Megacoin, Heavycoin, Franko, Maxcoin, Riecoin, Bytecoin, Potcoin, Counterparty, Blackcoin, Vertcoin (OK I guess, but overall still equals a loss on initial investment). I remember being keen on privacy coins, therefore not sure how I missed Darkcoin (remember buying it, therefore must have sold or lost on an exchange failure like Mintpal  Cry ) or Monero.
Fortuna33

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2020, 09:55:52 PM

Thanks for the help guys, however I managed to accumulate a steaming pile of crap; Execoin, Hirocoin, Megacoin, Heavycoin, Franko, Maxcoin, Riecoin, Bytecoin, Potcoin, Counterparty, Blackcoin, Vertcoin (OK I guess, but overall still equals a loss on initial investment). I remember being keen on privacy coins, therefore not sure how I missed Darkcoin (remember buying it, therefore must have sold or lost on an exchange failure like Mintpal  Cry ) or Monero.

I could try to help you if you still need to solve it
lucasholder

Activity: 38
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2020, 12:55:29 AM

On Mac/Linux you can use the `strings` command to get all ASCII strings out of a binary file. You can then use grep to see if any of the strings match a given coin. For example:

Code:
strings wallet.dat | grep btc

Or you could save the strings output to a txt file and inspect it with a text editor:

Code:
strings wallet.dat > wallet.txt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: