Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:00:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie questions about pcie extender cables  (Read 2070 times)
rhubear (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 01:50:58 AM

I'm pretty new to BitCoin mining; only a couple of weeks so far trying it out, but getting hooked.

I've only today discovered about the possibility of using all my MB's expansion slots via pcie extender cables.

I've tried looking around websites & forums to answer my questions, but can't find specific info, so here goes ---

1)  Are people using extender cables to move GPUs out of the case (maybe run the ribbon cable through the backplane area) & store the GPU card somehow outside the box?  Or are these cables strictly designed for use/placement inside the box somwhere?  I know ribbon cables are usually strictly for use inside the box, so I may be answering my own question there, but confirmation would be useful.

2)  Since there is a limit of the length of the extender cable, can 2 extenders be daisychained together to relocate the GPU card in a convenient location outside the box?   Or would there immediately be latency & power issues with longer cable lengths (especially with the small guage ribbon cable wires)?  Obviously if the answer to (1) is NO, then the answer to (2) is NO as well.

3)  Even if using a molex powered cable, I assume that pcie power from the PSU would be needed to power the GPU cards?  (which would prob be quite difficult to do outside the box).
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 02:04:34 AM

They're used to move cards apart for better airflow, and to utilize all available slots in your MoBo. You can use 1x extenders for mining too. If you try to connect more than 4 GPU's to a single MoBo, you will need to get molex powered extenders.

2) Many people don't even use cases, or build something to suit their needs.

I wouldn't daisy chain extenders together to run the GPU's just sitting on the table. They are much safer properly supported.

rhubear (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 03:13:15 AM

They're used to move cards apart for better airflow, and to utilize all available slots in your MoBo. You can use 1x extenders for mining too. If you try to connect more than 4 GPU's to a single MoBo, you will need to get molex powered extenders.

1)  By "4 GPU's" do you mean 4 vid cards or are you counting the number of actual GPU chips?  ie higher end cards have 2 x GPU chip on each card.

2) If running more than 4 GPUs, then do ALL extenders need to be molex powered?

2) Many people don't even use cases, or build something to suit their needs.

I wouldn't daisy chain extenders together to run the GPU's just sitting on the table. They are much safer properly supported.

Yes, I understand that extenders are used to move the GPUs around, although obviously the extended GPUs are not going to be able to fit (be screwed into) somewhere empty on the box's backplane cause they probably wouldn't fit.   I gather that extended GPUs are usually just fitted anywhere in the case that there is space.

If many are running PCs without cases, then theoretically the cables CAN go anywhere.    I was not thinking of daisychaining 2 extenders to lay all the GPUs on the table somewhere.  I was thinking of racking the GPUs/vid cards on some sort of structure outside of the case - definitely fastened & safe in some way.   (although I do have plenty of 5 1/4 bay space in my case) 

So I guess I'm still wondering if it would be safe to daisychain 2 extenders.  I guess I can ask the shops selling these extenders about this idea.  Would be good if someone here had an answer though.

Thanks for the info so far..... fascinating topic since I had never heard of extending expansion slots before (and I've worked in IT previously).
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 04:09:21 AM

1. by gpu in this case he's refering to video cards using extenders can improve airflow and avoid interfernce issues from pluging cards directly into a board.

2. not all risers need to be molex adapted but be mindful of your motherbaords capacity for handling current a large board fully populated could demand quite a bit of power (MSI BB mashal comes to mind imagine demanding 8*75w through the motherboard)
there won't be immediate latency issues with longer or chained cables however you have to be mindful of signal degredation, pcie was never made to leave the motherboard orignally much less cross a ribon cable.

3. that does depend on your card but yes as a rule any cards relevant to mining require a connection to the psu, however multiple psu's are not uncommon in mining rigs

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
rhubear (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 11:39:49 AM

Tnx Deslok for your reply.  I'll have a think about how I'm gonna build my rig up.  I've realised that even if just locating my vid cards inside my box, I may STILL need to use at least 2 pcie extenders.  They're not very long, my case is (I guess) fairly big (Thermaltake Armor - older one).

BTW, I've seen other threads on this forum saying that Cablesaurus is too expensive.  I'm from the UK, I've googled UK stores offering pcie extenders/risers.   There is only 1 store I've found, and their offerings on their website are not nearly as promising as Cablesaurus (although also expensive).  I will probably HAVE TO buy from Cablesaurus in the end.  I'm just glad there is a store offering (apparently) quality products, even if overpriced.   Not ebay this time for me!

I'm still fascinated by the concept of being able to use all my expansion slots!
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 03:56:10 AM

people saying that are usually refrenceing pricing on ebay when they make that statement, the quality however isn't guaranteed that way. on the note of actually building a rig, you're going to be operating at a loss unless things change really quick(the money for the rig could bring better returns using an exchange and then playing the market)

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: