Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:32:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK Banks - HMRC have the power to empty your account  (Read 1253 times)
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:40:09 PM

Interesting article. UK government now no longer need a warrant or to win a court case to empty our bank accounts, they can do it and leave anyone with as little as £5,000.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/willardfoxton2/100012871/did-you-spot-this-budget-gives-hmrc-power-to-raid-your-bank-account-like-wonga/

*Image Removed*

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:00:12 PM

Hm you just need to make sure you own the private key to your account, because if you don't control the private key you don't own ...

UH, ONE MOMENT.

HOLD ON ...

SHIT.

BITCOIN USERS NOT AFFECTED  Cheesy

Truth is the new hatespeech.
davida

Activity: 585
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:04:51 PM

fuckers
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:05:45 PM

Good I don't own account in UK

whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:42:16 PM

Hm you just need to make sure you own the private key to your account, because if you don't control the private key you don't own ...

UH, ONE MOMENT.

HOLD ON ...

SHIT.

Anyone knowing the private key can come and empty your "wallet". And that's perfectly legal.

I think you mean Bitcoin users are VERY affected.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:44:17 PM

in Europe (UK is not in europe law) ... they can ALREADY keep money from 8% of a account BELOW 100 000 Euros to "save" a bankrupt bank.

it's a European law vote in dec. 2013.

---

That's why i migrate this year, all my money to BTC ... big crash bank happen every 15 years now (divide per 2 now).
IrishFutbol

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:46:02 PM

UH, ONE MOMENT.

HOLD ON ...

SHIT.

Theoretically it could.

The article mentions this would be done to people who have outstanding tax liabilities.  Could be as simple as:
1. The British equivalent of the IRS detects you've received cash from a BTC exchange.
2. They see that you didn't disclose any BTC gains in your taxable income.
3. They assume you got them with no cost and take a chunk of your cash from your bank account to cover their estimate of your investment gains.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:47:17 PM

Excellent, force more users to switch to things like Bitcoin for their currency, mwhwhahahahahHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:50:07 PM

Theoretically it could.

The article mentions this would be done to people who have outstanding tax liabilities.  Could be as simple as:
1. The British equivalent of the IRS detects you've received cash from a BTC exchange.
2. They see that you didn't disclose any BTC gains in your taxable income.
3. They assume you got them with no cost and take a chunk of your cash from your bank account to cover their estimate of your investment gains.

You are describing sterling users.

sudoku

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:08:59 PM

All governments can declare a state of emergency or sanctions or whatever reasons they dream up and confiscate your account. Nothing new here.

1SudokuNgdzsYuANDinxUBwKgfyv5cptW
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 03:23:34 PM

UH, ONE MOMENT.

HOLD ON ...

SHIT.

This. No, Bitcoin isn't better, at all.  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 03:57:07 PM

UH, ONE MOMENT.

HOLD ON ...

SHIT.

Anyone knowing the private key can come and empty your "wallet". And that's perfectly legal.

I think you mean Bitcoin users are VERY affected.
Sorry, let me clarify:

Stupid, inept Bitcoin users VERY affected.

Smart, competent Bitcoin users NOT affected AT ALL.

Tell me, oh wise one, if I store my BTC in a brain wallet, how will my government steal it from me?

How about if I store it in a paper wallet that I've buried in the ground somewhere?

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 04:19:52 PM

I'm a UK based anarchist and tax resister. This new power effectively means I keep no more than £5k in fiat at any one time. Aside from the start of the month when bills go out, I usually keep my fiat under £3k anyway, but this is still important to bear in mind.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
miztaziggy (OP)

Activity: 432

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:25:18 PM

I'm a UK based anarchist and tax resister. This new power effectively means I keep no more than £5k in fiat at any one time. Aside from the start of the month when bills go out, I usually keep my fiat under £3k anyway, but this is still important to bear in mind.

Yeah you're fine, how about small businesses?

Imagine a small business with £10k a month in salaries. They receive an incorrect tax bill that's disputed so don't pay.

HMRC proceed to wipe out their bank account and leave them with £5k.

Salaries don't get paid.

Worker's mortgages don't get paid.

Depending on how long it takes to claim the money back, company can't pay for materials to fulfill orders.

Company goes bust.

Everyone loses.

*Image Removed*
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 05:05:52 PM

*high fives fellow Anarchist*

I actually think that's probably going to be how I'm going to handle it if I ever get enough money to worry about, the only problem is buying a house, but I suppose you could afford to do a one time thing if you really wanted to own one.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:04:36 PM

What I meant is that with bank accounts you never ever own the private key; the bank does. Withdrawing to your own wallet will not work with large amounts either; the bank will not give it to you and you can't store it securely too.

So you can never truly own fiat

Do I need to use a <sarcasm> tag in the future or what  Roll Eyes

Truth is the new hatespeech.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:17:17 PM

Interesting article. UK government now no longer need a warrant or to win a court case to empty our bank accounts, they can do it and leave anyone with as little as £5,000.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/willardfoxton2/100012871/did-you-spot-this-budget-gives-hmrc-power-to-raid-your-bank-account-like-wonga/

1. HMRC can only touch FIAT bank accounts
2. to throw it on its head, if you only have under £5k in fiat.. sounds to me like they cant take your money.. hmmm tax free lifestyle if you only keep under £5k in a bank account.. Cheesy ill keep my funds in bitcoin and only withdraw to fiat to top bank account back up to £4999.98

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:07:03 PM

1. HMRC can only touch FIAT bank accounts
2. to throw it on its head, if you only have under £5k in fiat.. sounds to me like they cant take your money.. hmmm tax free lifestyle if you only keep under £5k in a bank account.. Cheesy ill keep my funds in bitcoin and only withdraw to fiat to top bank account back up to £4999.98

If you have less than £5k in fiat IOUs at the bank they can still confiscate those IOUs for taxes owed but they first have to go to the trouble of presenting their evidence to a court.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: