Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:30:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser add-ons are just not safe  (Read 405 times)
Crypto_lion

Activity: 630
Merit: 11

NEW MEDICINE:Faster, Safer, Smarter

View Profile
April 03, 2020, 01:01:59 PM

Absolutely when you own a hardware wallet it is meant to sepearte you from online.it is like a walk between the assets and the internet thieves. It makes no sense to enter the password or key phrase in internet or storing it in a online safety locker. The best you can do is store in a physical format .

❱_    ClinTex     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     NEW MEDICINE:   Faster,   Safer,   Smarter
   ❪  TELEGRAM  ❫                 ❪  TWITTER  ❫                 ❪  LINKEDIN  ❫   
██████████████████████   J O I N   ██████████████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nutriagrigia

Activity: 1270
Merit: 254

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
April 03, 2020, 03:58:12 PM

Absolutely when you own a hardware wallet it is meant to sepearte you from online.it is like a walk between the assets and the internet thieves. It makes no sense to enter the password or key phrase in internet or storing it in a online safety locker. The best you can do is store in a physical format .
On the site where you can buy cold wallets, you can also buy a wallet in which you can store your seed phrase in a protected metal case. It is very convenient not to lose your phrase.
Cold storage of money is one of the best inventions in this market.

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
Free1bitco.in

Activity: 1624
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2020, 04:03:53 PM

I remember some people complained about the message in their email. sometimes the email is in the name of a large browser company, or another company that is disgusting to download, or install add ons. Well, after that, there were tons of reports about data theft. however, nowadays hackers are very smart and use all means to take what they want. I'm just suggesting, don't get involved or run something you don't know about.
forexandcryptoauditor
Copper Member

Activity: 1176
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2020, 04:12:04 PM

There are some formalities which people should follow using the internet especially when it concerns personal information and hard-earned money. Nowadays it is easier for fraudulent platforms to push a message or system which asks personal information. 
I see one important reason behind people failing to identify it that still more education is required regarding privacy policies and how to stay away from Ponzi schemes.

RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 07:18:26 PM

They are not safe in the sense that they are basically controlling all the wallets in their system, they do have security measures and they are trying best they can but they have been hacked many times before as well, for example mew has been hacked 2-3 times that I can just remember right now, they have been hacked a lot more than that usually as well.

It is obviously not ideal to give all the wallet rights to a third party, it would be regarded as a bad move in any other instance, however for the add-on wallets it is not seen as bad as it sounds. The only reason for something like that is the fact that some of them are just for the looks and not for the rights, you basically look at your coin in them but can't be touched or used by them at all, sort of like blockchain viewer.
jacafbiz

Activity: 2072
Merit: 530

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 08:37:07 PM

Anyone at this stage that is still using Add-ons wallets is ready to lose his or her money. Add-ons are designed to still your money even hackers can easily hijack it and access your accounts, there some add-ons that uses your system to mine crypto, just do not be careless with your tokens because that tokens could worth millions in future

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Teawhalee
Copper Member

Activity: 482
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2020, 10:33:09 PM

Honestly these add on can be really tiring. Its better to have specific browser you use for crypto and don't activate any ads on with it. Mist important is to never give your secret keys or phrase to anyone. They will only need it to steal your funds. It's meant only for you.

[ IQ ]           cash                           THE MASTERNODES CRYPTOCURRENCY
                           ⚫   t e l e g r a m   ⚫   f a c e b o o k   ⚫   t w i t t e r                         
[ LISTING ON : P2P [ P ] B2B ]  ◾  Discovering millionaires’ secret with IQ.cash
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 11:05:25 PM

Honestly these add on can be really tiring. Its better to have specific browser you use for crypto and don't activate any ads on with it. Mist important is to never give your secret keys or phrase to anyone. They will only need it to steal your funds. It's meant only for you.
So far I have some add-ons on my browser but I personally choose what's the best add-ons I want to put and never put any random add-ons just because someone recommended it to you. I myself did some research first to know what is that add-ons do and what are the review results. In some cases I might have to use my 24 keys in my computer but I am more on my mobile when doing some transaction with crypto.

Jating

Activity: 2926
Merit: 808

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 11:26:46 PM

I heard a ledger chrome extension have stolen up to 2.5million in crypto, Users are asked to input their 24-word seed, which allows scammers access to the wallet’s contents. This is why I hate add-ons for chrome or Firefox, they aren't safe at all but how come people are falling for this cheap trick that have been around since years ago now?

Not just ledger but trezor as well, chrome extensions are very dangerous because we don't know if the app is malicious or not. In the case of crypto, there are still thousands in google web store still in the wild,

When will people learn?

In a perfect world, no one should really fall for this cheap trick. However, human stupidity is one subject that we can't really understand. How in the hell you are sharing all of your 'secret' phases? That's why it is secret and you need to take care of it and not just blindly entering it to a website or apps that you didn't even bother to check?
mrdeposit

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2020, 11:58:49 PM

I heard a ledger chrome extension have stolen up to 2.5million in crypto, Users are asked to input their 24-word seed, which allows scammers access to the wallet’s contents. This is why I hate add-ons for chrome or Firefox, they aren't safe at all but how come people are falling for this cheap trick that have been around since years ago now?

Not just ledger but trezor as well, chrome extensions are very dangerous because we don't know if the app is malicious or not. In the case of crypto, there are still thousands in google web store still in the wild,

When will people learn?

In a perfect world, no one should really fall for this cheap trick. However, human stupidity is one subject that we can't really understand. How in the hell you are sharing all of your 'secret' phases? That's why it is secret and you need to take care of it and not just blindly entering it to a website or apps that you didn't even bother to check?
There is no need to be talented for protecting your own privacy but don't blame the 50 years old grandpa for not careless behaviour about the malicious apps. His technical knowledge and research ability is limited to open the browser and find the information for streaming or reading. No one is supposed to be tech savvy especially if the technology is used for tacking us.
nekonyun

Activity: 882
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 04:28:36 AM

yeah right we have to be careful with browser add-on because not all browser add-ons are safe and there are also some fake browser add-ons to fool browser users
Rosilito

Activity: 658
Merit: 274

Wish for the rain? Then deal with the mud too.

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 05:27:22 AM
Merited by libert19 (1)

When will people learn?
It really sucks to say this, but this won't going to end, IMO. People who experienced it on hand, had seen the problem prior to doing it may be able to avoid, however, people who aren't aware and an easy to trick one, for sure would took the bait. And no matter how we keep 'em away from such disaster as long as they won't help themselves it will be a forever journey. Beside, such trick comes in different ways we didn't thought possible.
ufaiz50

Activity: 1666
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 05:52:10 AM

⚠️NEVER share your 24 words
⚠️NEVER enter your 24 words into any internet-connected device
⚠️Ledger will NEVER ask for your 24 words

When will people learn?
I also don't like wallet extensions, many people can create them and spread them. especially if the extension is lacking or just known. but to enter the wallet system we must enter the "private key" because that's the only key to enter the wallet.

" When will people learning? " this is not a learning problem but every wallet has flaws and is add with human errors. so with very simple phishing can trick people.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Davian144

Activity: 2520
Merit: 578

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 06:25:32 AM

yeah right we have to be careful with browser add-on because not all browser add-ons are safe and there are also some fake browser add-ons to fool browser users
Yes, if for add-ons that are not needed more, do not use because it is very dangerous and every add-on must also be carefully examined before we use it in our browser, because it is also a sacred thing if we use it incorrectly.
maydna

Activity: 2926
Merit: 556

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 06:53:41 AM

I don't want to install add-ons in my browser that contain my personal identity, including installing a wallet to the browser. I don't know if the add-ons are safe or not, or the developer can always keep his apps from the hacker or not. There is no 100% guarantee to be safe, especially if we use a browser and install the add-on, and it is better to use the other way that we can control by ourselves. The hacker will find a way to enter the system, and I know they can do that, so better we care with our wallet and install it in another device that will be safe from the hacker.
Anonylz

Activity: 2562
Merit: 577

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 06:57:24 AM

When will people learn?

Not all add-ons are harmful, those add-ons that will require user to input sensitive information should be avoided or properly verified before usage,  but the common add-ons that just assist users browsing experience should not be regarded as harmful, those that assist in learning, writing or performing other important task that don't require sensitive information is not bad imo.
But there are few add-ons that works like a wallet, for example metamask add-on which requires your private key or Mnemonic seed, some add-ons ask for sensitive information for sure, we just have to keep warning newbie but this won't stop them from silly mistakes

I get your point, my point is for OP not to generalize that all add-ons are harmful, I for once never use those add-on wallet even though am not a newbie because I know they are not safe,
Ofcourse there is the need to warn people of the dangers using such add-ons that will require users to input sensitive information, people should be extremely careful, whether it is from add-ons or stand alone app.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
pgbit

Activity: 771
Merit: 258

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 07:07:48 AM

This is not the first time, I saw some thread about it where people were complaining of losing fund by a browser add on the wallet! Some people won't learn ever until they lose huge money because of their stupidity! Buying a Ledger won't save your assets if you aren't aware enough! Never share your Phrase codes, never take a picture of it, just write a paper and keep it safe! That's the best way to be safe!

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
Wildwest

Activity: 1705
Merit: 315

View Profile
April 05, 2020, 07:23:35 AM

Something like this should not happen to Chrome that the composer is so big, and they have to increase the security better, and scams like this are very sneaky because just by entering the word then they can penetrate our wallets, I think for old users this kind of thing they already know the hacker must be right to ignore, and I am sure the victim is a new user , the future should be more cautious.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 07, 2020, 06:13:11 PM

When will people learn?

One should be careful when downloading/installing a Chrome extension. Not every extension is to be trusted except for those being developed by prominent developers in the crypto/Blockchain space. You'd always need to check who's developing the extension to know with certainty how safe it is. The previously mentioned warnings should be taken into consideration to avoid many undesired losses. For ETH and ERC token transactions, using Metamask with the Ledger hardware wallet is a pretty safe bet. Still, you're interacting with an internet connection which brings some additional security risks. For the paranoid ones, creating a raw transaction offline on a separate device for broadcasting online at a later time, is the way to go.

I guess that most people have suffered from hacks and many undesired events on the crypto space because of their lack of knowledge. We should do everything possible to educate newcomers into properly securing their crypto against the latest threats in the Blockchain space. The responsibility lies within the individual himself instead of a third-party because of the decentralized nature of crypto. Hackers and scammers know this, leading them to devise new tactics against the average crypto user.

Nonetheless, it's recommended to only use trusted browser extensions for small amounts of crypto. For larger amounts, you're better off using a paper wallet or an official software wallet from the coin's developers. As long as you do that, you'll never end up losing your hard-earned crypto from malicious actors. Just my thoughts Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Chuky92
Copper Member

Activity: 966
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 08, 2020, 07:09:59 PM

Most add-ons or extensions are just for the sole purpose of stealing because scammers will build it in way that it will be easily attractive with "good" features. Also, where some add-ons might not ask for private keys etc it can also be used to monitor your activities in websites thus stealing the needed details. In my own opinion, if the recommendation is not from the team of any project then on no account should it be installed let alone being used. In this current world, we need to be careful as well as assuming and taking all manner of security measures to protect ourselves and funds from scammers.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: