Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:47:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think the alt-coin crash is hurting bitcoin?  (Read 4690 times)
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:16:12 PM

there is a good chance an alt will replace BTC.

Personally I think PPC,DOGE,LTC, XRP, EMUNIE, NEM and maybe NXT and XPM

are all long term hodl material.

PeerCoin in particular has had no competion in the backbone store of value arena from any alt.....it really stands out.

Download the peercoin blockchain you will see what I mean....really quick.
It would be really, really great if the altcoin pumpers would explain what makes their favored alts of the day so great. You know, instead of just saying that they are.
This.  Especially when Bitcoin is open source, programmable and can over time adopt new features of any alt coin out there.

Also, who in their right mind really thinks that a currency named DOGE is going to take over the world?  Can you imagine world leaders saying "We are supporting the DOGE currency for World trade." The stupid name alone will hinder Dogecoin from going anywhere, just like BBQCoin.  Unless the future prophesized by the movie Idiocracy actually comes true, lol.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:51:36 AM

i've been looking forward to this.

the altcoins need to go away.  this crash will serve to make that happen.  and then Bitcoin can continue on.

I agree with some of what you say.

Some altcoins need to go away. Like in any healthy market there needs to be competition. That is how markets work.

Litecoin perhaps is not competing with Bitcoin but they are growing in the same digital age.

Who knows perhaps Litecoin dies and Bitcoin solely lives.

So far the markets have spoken that Litecoin has some value.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:11:15 AM

I think alts that are based on smart contracts and crypto assets have the most promise. Also anonimity alts like darkcoin with active development.

The vast majority of alts are scams, most of them lost 95% of their value in the crash. Also a new wave of country based coins are coming up replicating auroracoin which are all 100% scamd. Get rich quick schemes(for the owners of course). however it was a good opportunity to increase the amount of bitcoin and litecoin you had while the boom was going on.

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:34:53 PM

Alts will be around as long as BTC is around
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 09:24:09 AM

Yea if you ask me the ALT crash will only be better for bitcoin.  I could be mistaking but I see it as a positive for Btc. 
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:42:59 AM

Also, who in their right mind really thinks that a currency named DOGE is going to take over the world?

It's not about taking over the world, it's about getting 25% of all crypto currency transactions of the world, that'd be good enough for Doge Grin

Also, who in their right mind would have really thunk that Windows would become so popular as to take 90% of all PC market being so buggy, especially the earlier versions (95, 98)? It's all about marketing these days, you naive dude. First you create demand for a product, then the product sells, not vice versa. From this perspective whichever coin does more efficient marketing efforts, wins. Not necessarily technically best. Although all bitcoin clones are about equal as far as technical details go. And if we had to choose a technically superior alt, it'd undoubtedly be NXT, but it lacks in marketing at this point.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:44:53 AM

Also, who in their right mind really thinks that a currency named DOGE is going to take over the world?

It's not about taking over the world, it's about getting 25% of all crypto currency transactions of the world, that'd be good enough for Doge Grin

Also, who in their right mind would have really thunk that Windows would become so popular as to take 90% of all PC market being so buggy, especially the earlier versions (95, 98)? It's all about marketing these days, you naive dude. First you create demand for a product, then the product sells, not vice versa. From this perspective whichever coin does more efficient marketing efforts, wins. Not necessarily technically best. Although all bitcoin clones are about equal as far as technical details go. And if we had to choose a technically superior alt, it'd undoubtedly be NXT, but it lacks in marketing at this point.
Windows is the primary OS because it is better for the majority of people. This does not even bear discussion. That's also why it is ridiculous that so many here promote linux, most people do not and will never use it.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
devphp

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:47:46 AM

Windows is the primary OS because it is better for the majority of people. This does not even bear discussion. That's also why it is ridiculous that so many here promote linux, most people do not and will never use it.

'Better' is a very illusive term.
I can say DOGE is better than Bitcoin for the majority of people, because people feel better when they use it, because: a) they get more of DOGEs for the same dollar (they don't care about divisility, they care about round numbers), b) there is no shady business associated with DOGE (no Silk Road past).
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:48:59 AM

'Better' is a very illusive term.
I can say DOGE is better than Bitcoin for the majority of people, because people feel better when they use it, because: a) they get more of DOGEs for the same dollar (they don't care about divisility, they care about round numbers), b) there is no shady business associated with DOGE (no Silk Road past).
That's all that matters.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:59:59 PM

And they did it with only voluntary customers, retailers, employees and stockholders. There was no use of violence or reliance on government force, backed by violence. As with all monopolies by merit, there was competition on the fringes, OSX, linux, and with with evolution of devices into mobile, they lost their monopoly. A happy series of events for the free market.
GameKyuubi

Activity: 253
Merit: 1413

DTCxNMC

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:10:27 AM

Who says DOGE can't be renamed?  It's happened before.  If the name is really the problem then it isn't much of one.

BTC: 15SLrNo6PKVfsH5JLtatJcVkSQXCk1LXyq
full stack Node
devphp

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:31:20 PM

Who says DOGE can't be renamed?  It's happened before.  If the name is really the problem then it isn't much of one.

What a preposterous idea to rename DOGE!
Unless it's renamed to Doggy, I disagree with the idea of renaming Smiley
freebird

Activity: 414

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 09:53:55 PM

I have come to believe that ideologically based altcoins are the future. Bitcoin started as an ideological movement against the banks, i.e. to distribute the power of money creation into the hands of the people and eliminate the need for a middleman to process payments. Now, I think bitcoin itself is mostly played out, because people have discovered that anyone can create their own competing currency using similar technology and some new ones are being created which improve upon the flaws of bitcoin.

Two of the main flaws of bitcoin are that the money creation process wastes energy and that most of the bitcoins are concentrated in the hands of the earliest adopters. Both of these flaws prevent many people who would otherwise be likely to support bitcoin from doing so.

I think new cryptocurrencies will rise which offer solutions to those problems. The best attempt I've seen so far is SolarCoin (solarcoin.org), which distributes 99.5% of the currency to producers of solar energy, thus providing an economic incentive for people around the world to switch to a clean renewable energy source and help the environment. Only 0.5% of the currency is reserved for the founders and early adopters such as miners, so the main intention of this currency is not to enrich a small group of people.

In my opinion, altcoins which are based on promoting some philanthropic goal, such as solar power or whatever else, are going to be the future of cryptocurrency. Most normal people are never going to embrace crypto unless it is seen as doing some good in the world; otherwise, might as well just use regular money. Bitcoin itself has acquired too much of an image of shady business (drugs, tax evasion, corrupt exchanges) and early adopters getting filthy rich by hoarding coins. With that image, it's not going to catch on with the general public. Look for a few high-quality altcoins with philanthropic purposes to catch on instead, if crypto has much of a future.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 12:56:44 AM

DOGE's only value against other cryptos is its name and the meme behind it. Only because of that people use it. I have no DOGE.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 09:37:21 AM

I think new cryptocurrencies will rise which offer solutions to those problems. The best attempt I've seen so far is SolarCoin (solarcoin.org), which distributes 99.5% of the currency to producers of solar energy, thus providing an economic incentive for people around the world to switch to a clean renewable energy source and help the environment. Only 0.5% of the currency is reserved for the founders and early adopters such as miners, so the main intention of this currency is not to enrich a small group of people.

You mean distributed to some people who destroy wealth by producing expensive solar energy, paid for by the masters, who steal from the people by means of violence, giving them a halo of environment friendlyness? Yeah, that solves everything.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: