Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 02:36:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticky in Electrum subboard  (Read 176 times)
Chlotide (OP)

Activity: 305
Merit: 106

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 04:09:45 PM
Merited by hugeblack (2), JayJuanGee (1)

Noticed that in the wallet software forum there is no sticky post in the Electrum subboard

I think it would be beneficial to have some main info visible like official site where to download, any possible issues, possible FAQ (like malware update message and others).
It is used by many and would be a nice addition to have a thread about this always visible and preferably up to date Smiley

I'm just using it, not a hard-core user that can get into the nitty gritty.
While writing I did a search and found that this request was made a while ago but to no avail.

So what do you say ? Worth it ?
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 3777

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2020, 06:43:22 PM

It is a good idea, but why did you shorten it to Electrum, we have more than one wallet and more than one board.
Overall, although good, but I think many beginners will ignore it so it is best to wait for the welcome message.

We are in a forum led by the community, you can create or ask to create a suitable topic as it is not difficult. AFAIK mods/Global Moderator can Sticky topics.
Chlotide (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 07:00:10 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2020, 07:27:02 PM by Chlotide

It is a good idea, but why did you shorten it to Electrum...

Well simple:

Electrum - no sticky info
Bitcoin Wallet for Android - there is not only 1 so providing info regarding some would be like free advertising and promoting
BitcoinJ - not that often used (from my knowledge) and has a few sticky threads
Armory - has a few sticky threads
Mycelium - pretty straight forward to get: Google Play / App Store and download (a sticky might not be that relevant)

This was my logic and the only one lacking in this department is Electrum.
Not saying anything fancy, just correct website, latest version, and maybe some important info like most frequent error, the attempt with update alerts with malware code, etc.

We are in a forum led by the community, you can create or ask to create a suitable topic as it is not difficult. AFAIK mods/Global Moderator can Sticky topics.

Will try to put together something then.
Thanks Smiley

P.S  Would still be welcomed even with a "welcome message" as you can just add a link and that's it. If the future welcome message is 5000 words long it might be hard to digest, like the "terms and conditions" in most software that nobody reads or the forum rules Smiley)
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 3012

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 10:31:26 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1), BitMaxz (1), ABCbits (1), Chikito (1)

The information from the sticky thread should come from a trustworthy source and be updated. The way I see it, that could come from one of the devs starting a release thread, similar to the one started by achow101 which I stickied recently: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5231808
Otherwise it would probably be too general, superfluous or could more easily become dangerous (obsolete info/instructions, mal-intent/hacking).
The idea is not bad, it should probably be suggested to the wallet devs.
It's probably been done before, but a general tutorial on how to verify software release signatures might be handy.

Bitcoin Wallet for Android - there is not only 1 so providing info regarding some would be like free advertising and promoting
There should be exactly one Bitcoin wallet for Android named Bitcoin Wallet for Android, made by Andreas Schildback.

Chlotide (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2020, 10:41:58 PM

The information from the sticky thread should come from a trustworthy source and be updated.

Fair point!
Will lock this thread then ! Thanks for the reply Smiley

There should be exactly one Bitcoin wallet for Android named Bitcoin Wallet for Android, made by Andreas Schildback.

Good to know! Will read more about it... shamed to say not familiar with it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: