Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:49:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin antifragile?  (Read 492 times)
deisik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2020, 07:23:03 AM

Let's continue from here

Bitcoin fell because the stock market fell, and now it recovered because it also recovered. This is the opposite of "antifragile", since it follows the stocks/global economy instead of being a hedge against it

Correlation is not causation

More specifically, you can't even compare the stock market with Bitcoin in a meaningful way as soon as you try to dig a little deeper. But you can easily fall into a trap of misleading numbers which make such comparisons possible and highly appealing for their ease and seeming simplicity. Bitcoin and stocks are two entirely different classes of assets even if both classes are valued in the US dollar

people like nassim taleb because he's ridiculously opinionated and talks never ending shit, but he's crazy

I actually agree that Taleb is mostly a fountain of empty verbiage and vacuous rhetoric. You can call it bullshit and him crazy if you please, I don't really mind (or care). However, let's not throw the antifragility baby out with the bathwater of opinionated talk and mindless rant

the whole concept of antifragility is rather questionable and is hardly documented outside of nassim taleb's invention. its application to bitcoin is even more questionable, although i will concede the possibility could exist if bitcoin had an exponentially larger network effect than it currently does. as it stands, the idea is laughable

I understand that you don't like the term

Just in case, I don't like it either. But I have already come up with another word for this phenomenon. Evolution is the right word for it since the entirety of it hinges on what Taleb calls antifragility. The takeaway is that it is definitely not like "hardly documented outside of nassim taleb's invention"

As I already pointed out in the thread, in a broader context, it encompasses all living and even some non-living matter (e.g. crystals growing and dissipative structures forming) decreasing their own entropy and increasing the entropy of the world around them in a way the second law of thermodynamics doesn't get hurt in the process

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ropyu1978

Activity: 1904
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 25, 2021, 07:31:49 PM

The taste and I think bitcoin is very much alive today, and even more alive when compared to the current environment and the situation as a whole,  we don't say bitcoin is stronger than others, but at least we can say bitcoin is not antifragile
Mituletr

Activity: 72
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 02, 2021, 12:56:43 AM

Bitcoin is an anti-fragile competitor to the inherently fragile traditional monetary system. On the one hand, the legacy system is paralyzed by moral hazard and relies on trust and centralized control. When faced with stress and chaos, it will accumulate imbalances and vulnerabilities, which will only further weaken its immune system. It removes the root causes of imbalance and vulnerability as a continuous process, further strengthens the entire monetary system and as a function of time.
Paisleyvn

Activity: 31
Merit: 4

View Profile
June 02, 2021, 01:05:48 AM

Bitcoin is more durable than risk because it is an anti-fragile system. No competitor can magically surpass it; no government can shut it down. But it doesn't stop there; every attack vector and impact on the system actually causes Bitcoin to become stronger.
Collinsty

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2021, 01:09:25 AM

Bitcoin is an adaptive and evolving system. Not only is it immune to attacks or errors, it actually becomes stronger. As Bitcoin survives the shock, and as individuals learn from its mistakes and adapt to its volatility, Bitcoin becomes more reliable; the resilience and immunity it demonstrates strengthens trust in the network, thereby increasing the rate of adoption And make Bitcoin more resistant to future attacks or personal mistakes.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: