Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:22:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox announce finding of 200,000 lost BTC!  (Read 30491 times)
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:28:53 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 09:45:18 AM by AT101ET

Lawyers for MtGox have announced that they've found 200,000 of the lost BTC!!!
Was it a heist, or just some lost private keys?

Link: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140321-00000038-yom-sci

Official MtGox announcement:

https://www.mtgox.com/img/pdf/20140320-btc-announce.pdf
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 06:37:22 PM

Is that cause for the recent price dip, or is it the Blockchain.info issues?

I'm still unclear what caused the decline the last couple of days.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:44:12 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1za9sf/found_at_least_150k_btc_of_mt_goxs_stolen_coins/

there is another 150k coins to "find" also,  meaning 350k total so far
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:45:58 PM

Looks like someone realized his scam wouldn't work and quickly "coughed up" the private keys.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:55:03 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2014, 07:18:43 PM by Singlebyte

This is going to make things interesting.  How was it "discovered" and how will they distribute the coins back to the owners?  With their database hacked, how will they be able to allow legit people to login and retrieve their accounts and assure everyone that it's not just hackers logging into the database?  That's assuming the courts allow a percentage distribution to the depositors.  And legal fees will eat up a lot of these coins!  Mtgox just keeps on Goxxing......

Translated version
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A//headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl%3Fa%3D20140321-00000038-yom-sci
captainblack

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:57:45 PM

Wow ! Great news!)) Does it mean that they are going to return it back to the clients?
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:10:30 PM

I suppose this is more evidence of mind-boggling incompetence at Mt. Gox. Imagine a bank (or any other company) just "losing" a quarter of their assets for a couple years.

Audits are a pain, but they are our friend.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:17:15 PM

I suppose this is more evidence of mind-boggling incompetence at Mt. Gox. Imagine a bank (or any other company) just "losing" a quarter of their assets for a couple years.

This is exactly why regulation is a good thing.  It's funny how so much of the community wants everything to be completely free and unregulated until something goes wrong, then straight to the cops and the courts!  Can't have it both ways people.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:19:18 PM

Get ready for a "refund and release" document that you will have to sign to have that 25% back.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #Fpp887iUwI8WA2d2

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:21:23 PM

This is exactly why regulation is a good thing.  It's funny how so much of the community wants everything to be completely free and unregulated until something goes wrong, then straight to the cops and the courts!  Can't have it both ways people.

...or you use exchanges that were not having huge red-flag problems for years!  (Without even going for "proof of holdings" or whatever people are discussing these days on that).

It is unethical to force regulation on all users simply due to the risk takers that chose MtGox.

ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:23:01 PM

This is exactly why regulation is a good thing.  It's funny how so much of the community wants everything to be completely free and unregulated until something goes wrong, then straight to the cops and the courts!  Can't have it both ways people.

I partly disagree. I just had a miserable week with a TS16949 audit. This is an industry-standard (non-financial) audit that is not required by any government, but is required by private customers. That is how cryptocurrency should be "regulated" - not by government (for the most part), but by us customers/users demanding accountability with the choices we make. Use the businesses that are getting audited and releasing results from 3rd parties, and so on. But don't ask government to dump a load of wasteful and costly regulations on everyone.

dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:25:18 PM

And its taken them how long to announce this even after the coins were being tracked?

Although positive in general as much as 200,000BTC isnt in the hands of criminals I wouldn't hold out hope of getting much back...
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:26:17 PM

This is going to make things interesting.  How was it "discovered" and how will they distribute the coins back to the owners?  With their database hacked, how will they be able to allow legit people to login and retrieve their accounts and assure everyone that it's not just hackers logging into the database?  That's assuming the courts allow a percentage distribution to the depositors.  And legal fees will eat up a lot of these coins!  Mtgox just keeps on Goxxing......

Translated version
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A//headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl%3Fa%3D20140321-00000038-yom-sci

With their database hacked
Gox stopped using plain-text passwords in the DB a very long time ago.
Anyone with a strong password will still be in control of their account, and the others deserve to learn a harsh lesson.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:28:26 PM

Lawyers for MtGox have announced that they've found 200,000 of the lost BTC!!!
Was it a heist, or just some lost private keys?

Link: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140321-00000038-yom-sci

can i ask all people who want to post the news. to include the actual source EG the actal recording or document from the lawyers in this case.

instead of a third party news article that says, "thats what he said", as i call that hearsay and chinese whispers in the past hav always started off like this.

so please dont post news articles post the actual source that the news articles talk about.

many thanks

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:32:05 PM

individual freedoms i am fully ok with. but when someone wants to be a business and control peoples funds.. then those businesses need to be accountable

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:52:49 PM

individual freedoms i am fully ok with. but when someone wants to be a business and control peoples funds.. then those businesses need to be accountable

We already have tens of millions of laws that are variations on "Thou shalt not steal." We don't need any more. We just need government to accept that cryptocurrencies have an objective value (as defined on exchanges, etc.) and that stealing or losing such assets is no different than the loss or theft of other assets in the eyes of the law.

Just my 2 satoshis,
Ebliever

Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:09:14 PM

Looks like someone realized his scam wouldn't work and quickly "coughed up" the private keys.

My thoughts exactly.

Get ready for a "refund and release" document that you will have to sign to have that 25% back.

Karpeles' lawyers forgot to arrange for Karpeles to resign from Gox Poland's board of directors on time (negative legal consequences - although unrealized yet - already occured for Karpeles under Polish Commercial Code which is applicable to all board of directors of companies registered in Poland). Polish Commercial Code originates from very harsh communist laws. President of Board can be jailed for defruading as little as USD 1k.

Even if criminal lawsuits against Karpeles fail in vanilla jurisdictions (Japan and USA), there is no fucking way he can escape multi-year jail service in Poland, even if he farts out those 25%. Trust me Japanese and American prisons are nice when compared to Polish ones.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 08:09:34 PM

This is most likely the case. One doesn't simply lose over $100M and find it again in less than 30 days.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:14:06 PM

OK, here's a question (or two):

Is he going to return those coins or refund them as fiat?
And at what price? Gox price?

pbj sammich

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:15:26 PM

It's just a poor attempt to instill confidence, in what I'm not sure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: