Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:45:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Attempt at The Uberman Sleep Schedule  (Read 12267 times)
ALPHA. (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:32:47 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2011, 02:54:19 AM by ALPHA.

Alright, by inspiration from a dear friend of mine, I will be attempting to change my sleep schedule once again. Instead of sleeping an entire 8 hours or more at night, I will be taking 20 minute naps every 4 hours exclusively at  2 PM, 6 PM, 10 PM, 2 AM, 6 AM, and 10 AM. This is formally called polyphasic sleep and has other forms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep).

I've just finished taking my first 20 minute nap after waking up from normal sleep at 10 AM. I managed to make myself fall into a near-REM sleep and it almost feels like the dawn of a new day. I will continue to log my experience of getting into this sleep schedule as more naps pass by in the name of science and to hold me towards this new habit.

I'll log my current status for posterity. Feel free to bet on my failure and success in Bitcoins, whether I'll go into psychosis, etc.

Playlist for my video logs

Intro video

Day 1

First Nap, 2:30 PM CST, 11/20/2011

Sleep quality: Logged in the post above.

Current mood: Content.

Current body and mental status: Moderate headache, slight anxiety (normal). My legs are jittery. Hunger and hydration are being maintained at acceptable levels.

(I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression so things such as headaches and anxiety will be considered normal.)

Second Nap

Third Nap

Fourth - Fifth Nap

Day 2

Sixth Nap

Seventh - Eighth Nap

Ninth Nap

Second Attempt, Day 1

First and Second Nap

Third Nap

Third Attempt, Day 1

First Nap

Second Nap

Third Nap

Fourth Nap

Moving to a more gradual method

Chasing the Uberman: 4 hour sleep

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:39:44 PM

You won't be able to keep it up. After about 3 days you're goimg to crash for several hours.

The body needs 2-3 hours of REM sleep just to survive.

It's a fun experiment though, I did it too when I was 17.

ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:41:53 PM

You won't be able to keep it up. After about 3 days you're goimg to crash for several hours.

The body needs 2-3 hours of REM sleep just to survive.

It's a fun experiment though, I did it too when I was 17.

Willing to take a bet on that?
rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:48:35 PM

Nobody trusts an Atlas bet because you'll just try and weasel out of it like always.

But since you asked, Matthew bets one (1) picture of his penis against a picture of yours.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:53:36 PM

Nobody trusts an Atlas bet because you'll just try and weasel out of it like always.

But since you asked, Matthew bets one (1) picture of his penis against a picture of yours.

I'll have you know I have a vagina thank you very much.

Also remember, I am not challenging you, you are challenging yourself Atlas. Lay off the roids.

Fake edit: you'll never MAKE IT

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:55:05 PM

I tried that a couple of times. Each time, I lasted about 3 days, but when I lost the ability to read I became bored and quickly fell asleep. If it's possible at all, I think you'd need a team of people to help keep you awake and active during the whole thing.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:57:40 PM

Yeah, you've reminded me of my previous experience, Theymos. Hm, this is going to be a mental workout. I am going to need to meditate.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:57:49 PM

I tried that a couple of times. Each time, I lasted about 3 days, but when I lost the ability to read I became bored and quickly fell asleep. If it's possible at all, I think you'd need a team of people to help keep you awake and active during the whole thing.

I was thinking the same thing. Staying awake is only somewhat based on will-power. Eventually your body just shuts down when it's not getting what it needs.

@APLHA: I've done lots of crazy experiments when I was 17. Trying to stay awake with little or no sleep, going fasting, marathon running, etc. My favorite mind blowing accomplishment was a mind experiment where I made myself ejaculate by meditation alone. I can't repeat that to this day.

I have always been fascinated by the human mind. I wanted to learn how to control my perception of gravity mentally so that I could walk straight even when my head was spinning in dizzyness. I think it might be possible, but that's probably because I've never studied neuropsychology

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:00:30 PM

If this is actually safe and possible, then someone should make a business where you stay at a "hotel" for a week or two and people help you through the induction phase. I'd pay for that.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:09:32 PM

My favorite mind blowing accomplishment was a mind experiment where I made myself ejaculate by meditation alone.

Why? What made you desire to do this?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:14:46 PM

My favorite mind blowing accomplishment was a mind experiment where I made myself ejaculate by meditation alone.

Why? What made you desire to do this?

Overactive sex-drive and complete utter boredom?

I was homeschooled in the country for christ's sake-- there is no 'why'.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:23:45 PM

Alright, by inspiration from a dear friend of mine, I will be attempting to change my sleep schedule once again. Instead of sleeping an entire 8 hours or more at night, I will be taking 20 minute naps every 4 hours exclusively at  2 PM, 6 PM, 10 PM, 2 AM, 6 AM, and 10 AM. This is formally called polyphasic sleep and has other forms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep).
I had a roomate once doing exactly that, after a few days he looked _really_ bad.
It may be a fun thing to try but I'm sure everybody having actually done it wouldn't recommend it (same goes for most doctors I guess).

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:25:58 PM

Atlas, if you sleep 4 hours a day you can live just fine with naps once in a while, but your life will be shortened. So do this now while you can.

ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:26:29 PM

I had a roomate once doing exactly that, after a few days he looked _really_ bad.
It may be a fun thing to try but I'm sure everybody having actually done it wouldn't recommend it (same goes for most doctors I guess).
I am hoping my meditation can get me through this...
sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:33:20 PM

I am hoping my meditation can get me through this...

This is an interesting idea. Are there any examples of people keeping up such a sleep schedule for a prolonged amount of time? Wikipedia only mentions Buckminster Fuller. Out of 7 billion people more than 1 should have managed this if it is actually possible.

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 09:36:57 PM

I was able to get past the 1 week mark doing the Uberman. In fact, I made it two weeks and then slept for 20 hours. However, after that I naturally fell into a pattern similar to The Everman. I sleep in blocks now of 2 hours, with some 20 minute naps throughout the day. I don't do this on any set schedule though, and it's rather chaotic. The most sleep I have gotten in the past month was last night, and it had everything to do with the bottle of wine that I drank. Last night, I got 6 hours of sleep. Usually I get 3, max. My staggered sleep schedule adds up to maybe 5 hours of sleep per day, including nap time. I love my power naps.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 09:39:27 PM

I was able to get past the 1 week mark doing the Uberman. In fact, I made it two weeks and then slept for 20 hours. However, after that I naturally fell into a pattern similar to The Everman. I sleep in blocks now of 2 hours, with some 20 minute naps throughout the day. I don't do this on any set schedule though, and it's rather chaotic. The most sleep I have gotten in the past month was last night, and it had everything to do with the bottle of wine that I drank. Last night, I got 6 hours of sleep. Usually I get 3, max. My staggered sleep schedule adds up to maybe 5 hours of sleep per day, including nap time. I love my power naps.

That's adrenaline abuse. You'll be dead in a dime.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 10:13:03 PM

I tried this at some point, and actually lasted a few months. But my schedule was not consistent enough, so it stayed a bit of a struggle, and I slipped a few times.
I retain the ability to fall asleep in 5 minutes in bright light with background noise if I want to though, so that's nice Smiley

If this is actually safe and possible, then someone should make a business where you stay at a "hotel" for a week or two and people help you through the induction phase. I'd pay for that.
That's genius. I might pay for that too, if I had time and money.

ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 12:29:04 AM

Second Nap, 6:22 PM CST, 11/20/2011

Sleep quality: I was very tired before this nap. This may be due to my rigid acceptance of this new sleeping schedule; in other words, my subconscious is taking hold of it. I was always keeping my eye on the clock for 6 PM.

Slight dreaming did occur. Traces of DMT were definitely to be found in my thought process. I woke up with a great amount of energy and feels like another dawn despite the nap being only 20 minutes.

Current mood: Content.

Current body and mental status: I recently had two cups of coffee. My body is jittering throughout as normal. The previous headache was caused by caffeine withdrawal and is now slightly soothed. Food intake and hydration is at acceptable levels. Little to no anxiety is felt.

Additional notes: My naps so far have occurred in a sleeping position on a closed toilet in a restroom. My head is either rested against a wall or my forearm which is placed upon my lap. This will hopefully lead to quicker awakenings and prevent sleeping longer than I wish. My 20 minute time limit is also enforced by a pocket kitchen timer with a moderately-pitched beep.

This will certainly allow me to be flexible when it comes to sleeping in public places: I simply take a 20 minute restroom break.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 12:31:42 AM

When I tried this, I read that coffee severely messed with sleeping schedules. YMMV.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: