Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:02:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Attempt at The Uberman Sleep Schedule  (Read 12267 times)
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 12:43:55 PM

But trying to sleep 4 hours a night and then failing does not mean that something like uberman can't work. Of course, it's notoriously hard to prove a negative, but still…

I wasn't trying to negate it. We're capable of much and we know very little.

A few years back, I had a vegetarian roommate who was a boxing coach and ultimate fighter. He killed any misconceptions I had about the diet. My capoeira had never been better than during the few years I was on a high nutrition vegetarian diet (before moving to the Arctic); I was lighter, faster, slept less, fucked longer, more energy and mental focus than a teen.

Atlas, you mentioned studies proving that meditation was a supplement/replacement for sleep. I suspected that's true, but I'm curious if you have reference sources?

The Burmese Theravada work I was doing assumes that sloth is one of five mental hindrances to be observed, understood, and defeated. I'd used that numerous times since, for example separating the observer from the drunk guy in my body. Smiley But during retreats I've wondered if the reduced sleep is attributed to less physical work and worries, meditation restoring vitality, or if the whole system is just designed to make practitioner crazy and susceptible to persuasion/transformation.

BTCurious, that link reminds me of recent research that suggests a huge number of people previously considered vegetative actually have mental clarity. They didn't communicate with their eyes, but with different regions of the brain. They were asked to imagine, for example, playing tennis if the answer to a question was false, and asked to imagine following a map or rotating three dimensional objects if the answer was positive. Because these thoughts activate very different regions of the brain, the researchers were able to scan their answers in real time. I'll find a link, so we'll be prepared if Atlas goes comatose on us.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 07:16:40 PM

In my most productive projects, I go through arbitrary work-crash cycles, perhaps 36 hours awake, who knows how long asleep. Though, I can't imagine it working on a schedule. I failed a semester of University trying to sleep less than four hours each night and couldn't separate my own thoughts from the world around me. Stress and lack of sleep are a hellish combination. Isn't that a well documented torture: sleep deprivation through forced standing, flashing lights, and loud dissonant music, until submission?
But trying to sleep 4 hours a night and then failing does not mean that something like uberman can't work. Of course, it's notoriously hard to prove a negative, but still…

On an unrelated note, this is mightily interesting:
It was Keith Hearne (1978), of the University of Hull, who first exploited the fact that not all the muscles are paralyzed [during sleep]. In REM sleep the eyes move. So perhaps a lucid dreamer could signal by moving the eyes in a predetermined pattern. Just over ten years ago, lucid dreamer Alan Worsley first managed this is in Hearne's laboratory. He decided to move his eyes left and right eight times in succession whenever he became lucid. Using a polygraph, Hearne could watch the eye movements for sign of the special signal. He found it in the midst of REM sleep. So lucid dreams are real dreams and do occur during REM sleep.

I almost killed myself in a lucid dream.

To this day, I honestly and fully believe that I would have also died in real life.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 08:40:37 PM

BTCurious, that link reminds me of recent research that suggests a huge number of people previously considered vegetative actually have mental clarity. They didn't communicate with their eyes, but with different regions of the brain. They were asked to imagine, for example, playing tennis if the answer to a question was false, and asked to imagine following a map or rotating three dimensional objects if the answer was positive. Because these thoughts activate very different regions of the brain, the researchers were able to scan their answers in real time. I'll find a link, so we'll be prepared if Atlas goes comatose on us.
Ooh, interesting. Thanks for the link!

To this day, I honestly and fully believe that I would have also died in real life.
If I jump off a building in a lucid dream, and then fly away, then I will do the same in real life.

BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 12:56:16 AM

A few years back, I had a vegetarian roommate who was a boxing coach and ultimate fighter. He killed any misconceptions I had about the diet. My capoeira had never been better than during the few years I was on a high nutrition vegetarian diet (before moving to the Arctic); I was lighter, faster, slept less, fucked longer, more energy and mental focus than a teen.

You got any more information on this diet, by the way?

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 01:02:52 AM

Ooh, interesting. Thanks for the link!

If I jump off a building in a lucid dream, and then fly away, then I will do the same in real life.

Actually, that was what I was going to do, sort of.

Quick back story -- I had only had one lucid dream prior to this one when I was around 11 or 12.  I became lucid, wanted to fly, flew for 15 seconds or so, then woke up when it got overwhelming.

This 2nd time, I was about 23, and when I became lucid, I wanted to conduct a series of tests (I actually tried calling my real-life friend from my dream cellular phone).  In the lucid dream, I was standing on top of these 50 foot bluffs overlooking the beach/ocean in Santa Barbara, CA where I had attended college for a few years.  Being conscious and knowing I was lucid, I thought to myself that I wanted to run to the edge of the bluffs, jump off, and fly.  But, when I ran toward the edge, an extreme sense of doubt stopped me.  At that moment, because the dream felt as real as real life, I knew that if I jumped off I would fall.  I still believe that because of my doubt of being able to fly, I would have fallen and killed myself.
netrin

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 01:16:18 AM

I don't recommend it recreationally, but if you have the (mis)fortune to be treated with Lariam (Mefloquine), you'll likely have lucid dreams ever single night of its month half-life, as well as open-eye 'lucid' hallucinations during the day... among other less pleasurable complications.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 01:19:24 AM

Nice I went to SBCC for awhile.  For a community college they have an amazing campus and really solid CS program.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 04:00:44 AM

I don't recommend it recreationally, but if you have the (mis)fortune to be treated with Lariam (Mefloquine), you'll likely have lucid dreams ever single night of its month half-life, as well as open-eye 'lucid' hallucinations during the day... among other less pleasurable complications.

All the quinine derivatives give you absolutely insane, sometimes lucid, dreams. I used to look forward to taking my malaria medication for the two or three days of dream-pandemonium.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 04:17:20 AM

I lucid dream just about every time i dream, It's awsome being able to bend the world to my will! Half those times I'm conscious of my sleeping body laying there like being in bed.... like being in 2 places at once.

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 04:28:16 AM

I lucid dream just about every time i dream, It's awsome being able to bend the world to my will! Half those times I'm conscious of my sleeping body laying there like being in bed.... like being in 2 places at once.

I think you mean that you lucid dream unremorsefully. Dream humility is for slaves and pussies...the same poons that can't make women orgasm with their gaze.
Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 05:14:00 AM

Found this... might be interested:

http://www.supermemo.com/articles/polyphasic.htm

Most people overeat 100 percent, and oversleep 100 percent, because they like it. That extra 100 percent makes them unhealthy and inefficient. The person who sleeps eight or ten hours a night is never fully asleep and never fully awake - they have only different degrees of doze through the twenty-four hours" - Thomas Edison

His co-workers noted that Edison actually slept far more than he would like to admit. Clearly, he would carry sleeping little as a badge of honor. He catnapped a lot, and his nap cots have been preserved to this day in Edison museums. By no means could I though find any credible evidence that Edison's napping complied to any regiment other than "nap when sleepy", which usually turns out to match a biphasic pattern. The most reliable information I could find about Edison's sleep was his own diary kept only for a short time while approaching the age of forty. From this diary we can learn a lot about his sleeping habits. He seemed rather obsessed with getting a good night sleep as his day would often start with notes on the quality of sleep. The better he slept the happier he seemed. That's quite the opposite of what polyphasic proponents claim. Instead of maximizing waking hours, Edison would rather maximize the hours in which he could use his well refreshed mind. And that's exactly what seems most rational from the point of view of physiology of sleep, mental hygiene, and productivity.

rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:05:35 AM

I spent several months in a monastery.

What's the deal with this? And then you somehow ended up in Greenland of all places? That shit sounds way more interesting than Atlas' daily failure (but in a good way).

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 11:11:16 AM

I think you mean that you lucid dream unremorsefully. Dream humility is for slaves and pussies...the same poons that can't make women orgasm with their gaze.

I do rape, pillage, and plunder in those dreams sometimes..... i'm a bad man in my lucid dreams..... i won't even make an excuse for it; i'm just a bad man in dream world

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
netrin

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 05:38:20 PM

(Greenland's an incredibly meditative place)

What's the deal with this? And then you somehow ended up in Greenland of all places? That shit sounds way more interesting than Atlas' daily failure (but in a good way).

Atlas is only 17. If he can focus his mania, doesn't get locked up in a hospital, drops a tab of acid, then I expect he'll lead a life of beauty.

Appamāda!

BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 07:06:00 PM

No kidding.

Atlas, you totally bailed again. Why do we even bother giving you credit when you keep letting us down? You said you were going to try a new schedule, but you haven't updated anything. Such a quitter.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
netrin

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 07:08:42 PM

Maybe he's hibernating.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 07:58:50 PM

Hibernation would be a new schedule.

ALPHA. (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:09:05 PM

No kidding.

Atlas, you totally bailed again. Why do we even bother giving you credit when you keep letting us down? You said you were going to try a new schedule, but you haven't updated anything. Such a quitter.
lol
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:25:59 PM

No kidding.

lol

Now there's an intelligent response.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:06:34 AM

I read a news article recently which said that some people are genetically required to sleep more than others Sad
How inefficient....

(BFL)^2 < 0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: