Bitcoin Forum
September 20, 2024, 04:17:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: motherboard for a mining rig  (Read 3553 times)
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360

Armory Developer

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 10:05:58 PM

I've seen dedicated mining machines with 4 video cards installed, but I can't seem to find cheap mobo with more than 2 PCI-E slots. Do you have to purchase a high end motherboard to run over 2 cards on the same pc or am i missing something?

FRanz33

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 10:12:03 PM

I've seen dedicated mining machines with 4 video cards installed, but I can't seem to find cheap mobo with more than 2 PCI-E slots. Do you have to purchase a high end motherboard to run over 2 cards on the same pc or am i missing something?

pretty much.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 04:42:25 AM

High end mobo, high end case, high end PSU, custom cooling.  You're better off sticking with two cards per machine and going with low-cost components.  Try not to skimp on PSU quality though.  A 650+ watt PSU from a trusted name like Corsair or Antec should do the trick.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2011, 04:53:43 AM

Actually you can't install more than 3 cards in ATX case because it allows only 7 expansion slots and each card needs 2.
Moreover, you can't place them next to each other because one card will block the air intake or anoter.

You are looking not for "PCIe" slots, but for x16 PCIe slots, that's not needed for mining. People with 4 cards in one MB usually connect them with flexible x1 PCIe extenders. Some of them even work. That's better for cooling too.

Also you can't power 4 good cards with one normal PSU. You'll need an expensive one or two good ones.

And Windows doesn't supports more than 4 GPUs. 4x5970 is like 8 GPUs, too much :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:05:55 AM

Actually you can't install more than 3 cards in ATX case because it allows only 7 expansion slots and each card needs 2.
Moreover, you can't place them next to each other because one card will block the air intake or anoter.

You are looking not for "PCIe" slots, but for x16 PCIe slots, that's not needed for mining. People with 4 cards in one MB usually connect them with flexible x1 PCIe extenders. Some of them even work. That's better for cooling too.

Also you can't power 4 good cards with one normal PSU. You'll need an expensive one or two good ones.

And Windows doesn't supports more than 4 GPUs. 4x5970 is like 8 GPUs, too much Smiley

Are you not sure?  Grin Cheesy

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:53:31 AM

I don't think he was concerned about fitting them in an ATX case, just the price of actually putting 4 on 1 board.

I currently have a 5870 smashed against a reference 5850 and it's working well enough. Temps on the 5850 stay around 62 at full load with a slight overclock (830). When I up the core voltage to stock 5870 specs, the temp approaches 70, but doesn't break it. That's running the card at 930 core though. Anyway, my point is that it's possible to put them right next to each other if you have positive case pressure and a nice exhaust fan directly above the cards. Or some other creative cooling approach. Then again I'm only doing it with 2 cards... so far. Oh and 60% fan speed on the cards might be loud for some!
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 07:06:21 AM

connect them with flexible x1 PCIe extenders.

That's what i was missing. thx.

aistto
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 08:02:41 PM

You can use 14 expansion with http://www.negorack.ru/4u/NR--N406.html.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: