Bitcoin Forum
August 03, 2024, 01:13:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin: TRIPLE ENTRY CROWD ACCOUNTING  (Read 11231 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 02:34:16 PM

"Accounting period", as used in the finance industry and in business, means a month, a quarter, a fiscal year.
Accounting period can be any period. Accounting periods are not only those periods that are defined in IRS manuals... Every organization is free to define their own accounting periods to suit their internal needs. If you need reliable data for all financial transactions every minute then 1 minute can be the accounting period.

If you are familiar with the algorithm that miners run though, you'll know that's not the case.
Hmm... Well, I thought you have started this thread trying to abstractly describe Bitcoin in as few words as possible with terms that would make sense to those who are familiar with banking but not with technology? So, my short answer to your initial question is miners are like auditors and what they do is like reconciling data sets of financial transactions for 10 minute accounting periods.

I'm not sure the block finding duration is equal to any "accounting period". A transaction has a timestamp, that's when it should be considered to have been taken place. It can only be decided at a later point (with enough confirmations by miners) wether or not it took place.

On the transaction list my bank gives me, for example, there are two timestamps. One designating the point in time when the money flow was considered to be happening (relevant for calculating interest, for example) and the point in time the transaction was validated by or inserted into the system. The two can be different.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 03:13:49 PM

On the transaction list my bank gives me, for example, there are two timestamps. One designating the point in time when the money flow was considered to be happening (relevant for calculating interest, for example) and the point in time the transaction was validated by or inserted into the system. The two can be different.
Of course, they can be different. The first one is date/time of value (i.e. when change of ownership took place) and the second one is date/time of accounting (i.e. when the corresponding record in the general ledger was made).
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2011, 04:07:19 PM

The second date would be the posting date. Posting, meaning similar to recording or confirming. (As opposed to reconciliation. The second date is not necessarily the date your bank decided to redo the math to see if it added up, it is the date it was deemed recorded on your account.)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 04:26:12 PM

Bumping this great and useful thread.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:22:38 PM

Bumping this great and useful thread.

yeah, i have to agree not being an accountant.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 06:46:04 PM

This is like trying to explain a gas pedal to buggy whip manufacturers.

"The gas pedal stimulates the horsepower of the engine."

"No, no, it whips the engine into working harder."

Just give it up.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 07:07:42 PM

This is like trying to explain a gas pedal to buggy whip manufacturers.

"The gas pedal stimulates the horsepower of the engine."

"No, no, it whips the engine into working harder."

Just give it up.

no, it serves a useful purpose.  of course you can take the position that it doesn't matter, Bitcoin is going to succeed one way or another eventually.  but if we as a collective can explain Bitcoin to skeptics in a coherent, clear manner that eventuality will come much faster.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: