Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:52:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 hashing Extremely Slowly  (Read 1550 times)
Dark Horse (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:28:36 PM

Noob here.
I have 6 Antminer S1's.  At least two are hashing at just 1g.  None are overclocked.  All chips stats read fine.  Connection over Ethernet.  Set to mine on Eligius.  I have rebooted, re powered, even factory reset, still the same result.

What am I doing wrong?  The first one I set up is working great, chugging along at 180 or so hour after hour.

And, is the web interface supposed to be painfully slow?  It takes forever for a save and apply, or to get status.

Thanks for all help.  This project has taken a lot more time and resources than I ever anticipated.

cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 09:33:28 PM

Have you turned off the wifi?  I had the same problem, disabling that fixed it.

the-skeptic

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:46:22 PM

I had odd problems until I used static IP addresses for all of my Antminers. What does the Miner Status tab say your hash rate is? What about enabled/disabled processors, too?
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:55:35 AM

how old is the antminer? Have you updated the software to the most recent (about a month ago). the interface should not be that slow. Is there enough power to the device in terms of the psu and the wall outlet they are plugged into. Try turning off the good ones and seeing if the bad runs still run slow (power issue). Also make sure your internet connection/ router can handle the traffic is your other devices running smooth?
Dark Horse (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:56:35 AM

First, thank you all.
I have not updated the operating system.  Will do that first, then move to static ip and disabling wifi if needed.
Will report back.

Thanks.
AlextheBitcoiner

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:53:56 AM

If nothing works, try manually resetting the miner. Their is a hard reset button on the control panel.
Hope I could help! PM me if you need further assistance.

- Alex
povlhp

Activity: 35

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:55:34 AM

When mining on eligius, I had it fail over to ghash quite a few times (I am on 60/60 Mbit fiber, so not my Intenet connection).
Switched it over to GHash as primary, and I have not seen a single failover.

I am in Europe, and the Eligius server in the US. Does not seem to work out too nice. For GHash I use the UK server.

Make sure you use servers with good connectivity.
faxfan2002

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 08:47:36 AM

Never had a problem on Eligius with my Antminer S1's
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:31:32 PM

When mining on eligius, I had it fail over to ghash quite a few times (I am on 60/60 Mbit fiber, so not my Intenet connection).
Switched it over to GHash as primary, and I have not seen a single failover.

I am in Europe, and the Eligius server in the US. Does not seem to work out too nice. For GHash I use the UK server.

Make sure you use servers with good connectivity.

try nl1.  , is much better, no dupes.

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
AlextheBitcoiner

Activity: 43

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:42:10 AM

Your a noobie and you already have 6 machines? Damn! Nice work.

Anyways. The answer to your question regarding slow saves on the web configuration page is normal.
But a save shouldn't be more than 30 seconds at the most. Make sure you close out of all unused applications
running in the background, that may help.

Run an internet speedtest at www.Speedtest.Net

Is your internet bandwith low? If so, then its possible that your
6 existing Antminers are taking a chunk of your internet speed.

If you have other things running off your router, such as other computers
they may also be slowing your internet speed down.

Bottom line, run a speedtest. Let us know what the results are.

Best Regards, AlextheBitcoiner
Dark Horse (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:02:55 PM

First, let me thank all who responded.  Your suggestions got me on the right track and all is pretty well now.

Let me tell what I did, in case anyone else finds themselves in this position.

First, I replaced my ethernet switch with one made during this same decade.  I can't explain it, but there was an immediate noticeable increase in the speed of the interface of the connected antminers.  Enough so to take them from the "frustratingly slow" category to the "ordinarily slow" category.

Next I updated the firmware to the February 2014 version.  Yup - that did great things as well.  Things began running smoothly and as expected.

Let me just tell you, this forum is extremely helpful.  But most people here speak a new language for me.  I had to start from the ground up figuring out what it means to "ssh" into something, how to download the firmware update and "flash image" and a whole host of things that didn't previously make any sense at all.  But I'm working through it and it has been a great learning experience.

I still don't know what most of the data categories in the "Miner Status" tab are for.  I've made a spreadsheet to copy and paste the first line of data so I can quickly determine the hardware error rate, and have adjusted the clock speed from there.  Incidentally, I've found 381.25 seems to be the best speed for me - the GHs is in the 190's, the HW error rate is below 1% and I don't get the "x" on the chip in miner status (which may not mean anything, but it scares me anyway).

So, all problems solved -- except my need to constantly tweak everything - because good enough can always be fouled up and fixed.
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 08:44:35 PM

In regards to the internet connection speed problem, I don't think that would be the issue...

I run a few Ants, and have a few more coming tomorrow from China, I wondered the same thing and monitored the bandwidth usage of a single ant overclocked at ~200 GH/s using a pool server with Stratum, results are below.

Slushes' Stratum protocol is pretty efficient bandwidth wise....

Even with 6 overclocked Ants you looking at around 70 kB/s in and 24kB/s out peak, thats nothing any modern connection can't handle...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: