Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:56:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Prechter Mentions Bitcoin AGAIN  (Read 2350 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 02:03:29 AM

Financial Risk Analytics
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 02:29:55 AM

sorry, made one small change to the blog post...
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 03:30:31 AM

the key thing to take away from the interest in Bitcoin by financial analysts like Keiser and Prechter is that they see gold and silver as "investments" or as "stores of value".  they invest in them not because they see them becoming currencies around which an economy can run.  they invest in them to preserve the value of their hard earned USD's that are being inflated away by our Fed.

so for them to draw an analogy btwn Bitcoin and gold or silver is to say that they see Bitcoin as a potential "store of value" that can compete with gold or silver whether or not an economy evolves or not.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 03:55:29 AM

the key thing to take away from the interest in Bitcoin by financial analysts like Keiser and Prechter is that they see gold and silver as "investments" or as "stores of value".  they invest in them not because they see them becoming currencies around which an economy can run.  they invest in them to preserve the value of their hard earned USD's that are being inflated away by our Fed.

so for them to draw an analogy btwn Bitcoin and gold or silver is to say that they see Bitcoin as a potential "store of value" that can compete with gold or silver whether or not an economy evolves or not.

That is a great point.

I'm a strong advocate of gold and silver used as money and wealth preservation, and I see Bitcoin having very nice synergies with the precious metals. They are complimentary asset classes, and it's a good sign to see die-hard gold bugs thinking openly about Bitcoin.

The inherent properties of precious metals make them excellent money, and the same is true for Bitcoin.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 04:07:55 AM

That is a great point.

I'm a strong advocate of gold and silver used as money and wealth preservation, and I see Bitcoin having very nice synergies with the precious metals. They are complimentary asset classes, and it's a good sign to see die-hard gold bugs thinking openly about Bitcoin.

The inherent properties of precious metals make them excellent money, and the same is true for Bitcoin.
I really like this article:
http://www.libertariannews.org/2011/06/21/against-the-gold-standard/

It's a really good explanation as to why a gold standard is and has always been a bad idea (whether it's paper backed by gold, or bits).  It also illustrates exactly why bitcoin is a great, digital complement to gold.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 06:21:47 AM

I also am delighted to see the likes of Kaiser mention and contemplate Bitcoin.

I think of Gold as pretty much the ultimate store of wealth (based almost exclusively on it's history rather than any hokus-pokus magical properties and what-not.)  It can be used as a currency in a pinch, and works fine for that in most situations, but is awfully cumbersome in the modern international and increasingly fascist world.

The nature of Bitcoin is, in my mind, not particularly clear at this point, but one scenerio that I could see working is for Bitcoin to be relegated to a pure currency in that it is used as a transmission medium almost exclusively.

A very good analogy would be to think about electricity.  The energy is stored in a suitable medium (chemical, gravity, etc) and converted to electricity (electro-motive potential) only for transmission and conversion to useful work.

I would be disappointed at this outcome because I wish to hold some net worth in BTC and be able to access it in almost any scenerio, but I'd take it as a second-best because of it's extremely good usability even in this limited role, and because I can still sit on a volatile pool of saving vs. a more stable one if need be.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: