Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:40:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: serious ROI  (Read 1399 times)
ashengine (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 11:51:12 PM

Lets be honest here, if you do the calculations almost all the 1th/s machines going for around $4k don't even give you a break even after two months. Ive been researching this stuff the past two weeks and I cant seem to find anything that looks like a solid investment. Is anyone seeing any chips produced for 20nm, 18nm, 15nm or 10nm asics? Also wondering if anyone is seeing any silicon Photonics type chips that might offer improvement on hash efficiency? It just seems like the difficult and value is outpacing the available hardware in the market. I've seen http://minerscube.com/ and it seems like a scam. Can anyone confirm this? Also, wondering if anyone has engineered their own asic chips, PCB and controller etc.? If so did you see much of a price drop from the margins these custom mining machine builders are out making margins on? Any input and constructive feedback will be very much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:56:31 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 01:23:01 AM by Gator-hex

You're not alone, to me it seems to make more sense to keep your $/BTC in your pocket while difficulty rises but BTC price doesn't. Roll Eyes

www.winkdex.com

If a price crash puts the big farms out of business, and they're forced to liquidate their equipment, it will be good to see the hashing power end up in the hands of the many. Greed ruins Bitcoin, we need a bigger community, not a smaller one. It is supposed to be a distributed network after all and it's value will always be based on the number of users on the network.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:00:22 PM

Of course we all know that ROI does not mean break even. Roll Eyes
tzortz

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:27:50 PM

yup.

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
flounderella

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Evengelist

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:58:41 PM

Mining will not make your rich. You are better off just buying the dips in BTC and holding it, if you believe like I do, in the long term value of the services and infrastructure being built about it.

Mine only so you can enjoy being a part of the network. For me, it's like a hobby. If I hit ROI, its well and good but its the journey that counts. It's the details of how to effectively set up power supplies without tripping your breakers, how to tweak and overclock, how to build a raspberry pi controller to look after the status of your antminers... its all about the journey.

At the end of the day, you'll never be able to compete against the big money who are pouring in the dough to buy those KnCs... but that doesn't mean you can't have fun along the way.
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:05:51 PM

best thing to do is to buy antminers s1
good luck
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 11:07:41 PM

SOME of us know that but the biggest % think that ROI does ineed mean "break even".

I got inot a big thing about it a while back here and trying to teach them was very much akin to the casting of pearls bewfore swine.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 07:36:06 PM

Simple, if you don't want to risk mining for 5 or 6 months, then just buy and hold coins.

There's some tricks to the mining ROI trade though by selling your equipment at the right time or under clocking your miners to save on your electrical bill.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:56:04 PM

Mining is not profitable because asic manufacturers will not sell for less than it can mine in 6 months. Asics will always be priced on the mining revenue, not the cost of manufacture. Hence, will never be profitable for the public.

I really believe centralised mining, or mining for the few, is hurting the community, and there doesn't seem to be a solution.
Lamber

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:09:05 PM

What is the ROI in that case ?
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:12:54 PM

Mining is not profitable because bitcoin is a perfect marketplace. There is no place to earn long term profits by mining bitcoin alone.

Adding value though *can* bring profits. Supporting the network with rational transaction fees could do it too, but that is work beyond just "mining coins"

C
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:10:20 PM

some mining machines have potential to be profitable. If you buy at the right time where difficulty is not increasing like crazy (25%+) you can make ROI or close to it and possibly a profit. I know now that difficulty has slowed down slightly this past few diff changes I have come close to ROI on a machine i bought about 45 days ago. Buying now might not be the smartest idea though since the newer machines are about to ship and we will see a sharp increase in difficulty
davejh

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:58:56 PM

Lets be honest here, if you do the calculations almost all the 1th/s machines going for around $4k don't even give you a break even after two months. Ive been researching this stuff the past two weeks and I cant seem to find anything that looks like a solid investment. Is anyone seeing any chips produced for 20nm, 18nm, 15nm or 10nm asics? Also wondering if anyone is seeing any silicon Photonics type chips that might offer improvement on hash efficiency? It just seems like the difficult and value is outpacing the available hardware in the market. I've seen http://minerscube.com/ and it seems like a scam. Can anyone confirm this? Also, wondering if anyone has engineered their own asic chips, PCB and controller etc.? If so did you see much of a price drop from the margins these custom mining machine builders are out making margins on? Any input and constructive feedback will be very much appreciated.

Oddly enough I was writing about ASICs yesterday :-) http://hashingit.com/9-where-next-for-bitcoin-mining-asics. There's unlikely to be anything smaller than 20 nm this year and the value of Bitcoin ASICs are unlikely to be anything like large enough to get the fabs interested until they have a lot of capacity. 10nm is at least another 2 years after that (70% shrinks take 2 years). Even when they do happen though there's not going to be anything like the same jumps in performance that the shift to 28 nm devices has seen. ASIC designers are going to have to get much more creative and that will increase their design times and costs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: