Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:00:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HASHRA - Overall experience and some thoughts  (Read 1630 times)
miter_myles (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:59:16 AM

Thought I would provide a snapshot/review/thoughts on my experience regarding Hashra (http://hashra.com/)

To address the biggest black eye and frustration off the bat... shipping and delivery time.

I had been keeping an eye on the Hashra site once the Gridseed 5-chip miners were starting to surface.. even shot an email to the contact address on the site in early Feb.  Received a prompt response that they were working on getting a supply chain established and to start offering sales of the GS 5-chips "soon'ish"  -  Feb 23 received a mass email (I did sign up for the newsletters/etc) that Hashra was going to open up ordering as they had visited with Gridseed and were ready to make things happen.

Well - as it turns out not everything was ironed out or thought to have been on the up and up regarding order fulfillment and shipping turn around times.  (even with the stated 7-14 day turn around)  I was really expecting and I'm sure others were as well a shipment notification before the end of the month.  In the crypto world once an order is placed.. it is almost a soul consuming time period between hitting that submit button and opening the actual box in your hands.  I had been in contact with Hashra and Mr. Bright relaying my frustrations and heartburn as others were too (hell, a group of us on here even had a group PM going back and forth for a period).

Where does that leave things now?  Hashra / Mr. Bright have come out and concurred that the order fulfillment and shipping timelines were simply unacceptable and needed a drastic change given how other re-sellers and group buy organizers were blowing them out of the water regarding speed, which they have further stated has been completed as of last week.  

Now on to the goods (one order of 20 x Gridseed 5-chip w/ accessories) - Pics below:

Original delivery was scheduled for 18 March, but an indirect signature was required.  It would have been nice to know this, but it is what it is.. I was able to sign the door slip and have the box just dropped off the next day.

The box was pretty big and heavy.. but packed exceptionally well.

It was nice having the PSU units already pre-wired and ready to go.. if they weren't I would have probably put off setting up until the weekend.  With that said they were not just chopped and slapped together.. they are very clean with no exposed wires at all.

The rest of the accessories included... usb cables and hubs.. and surprisingly not crappy USB hubs.. 5V/3.5A, not some weightless all plastic one.

Now the added Hashra bonus items:  Raspberry PIs, 16GB memory cards and the needed power cable + adapter (and CAT5s)... At first when the notification regarding the shipping situation was sent out with the added information about the Raspberry PIs being included I was still pissed off and frustrated about the delays... However, once everything got here and after reading everyone else's setup stories/issues with the default wiibox controller.. I am pretty happy to have the RasPI's

The barrel connectors don't go 100% in all the way to the GS miner itself and there is a little "play" (making me re-check/re-snug all the cords multiple times)..  

The setup:

Setup was actually pretty straightforward and simple... Hashra has even come out with their own RasPI img (which I have yet to try as the zip was corrupted last night, but appears to be fixed tonight as I was able to d/l and unzip).  http://hashra.com/support/

I ended up loading Scripta on the two RasPIs and everything is working as it should... only have one unit right now throwing more HW errors than all the others (~8% / 24hrs)

Final Thoughts:

I have received a couple apologetic emails from Hashra/Mr. Bright during this whole endeavor and I will admit I was being pretty negative at the later stages of the "wait game", but that didn't stop Hashra from following up and staying very professional at that to ensure I had my package yesterday and that everything was working as it should.  Too many times in the Crypto world we see self proclaimed "businesses" and individuals fall short on promises (over promise, under deliver) and simply ignore customer or do the very bare minimum to save face (to an extent).  

I told Hashra / Mr. Bright that what helped start reversing my obvious negativity towards Hashra (for legit reasons) was coming home yesterday and seeing a big old box waiting on my porch. Getting the hardware/product to the customer.. so we can see, touch and set it all up.. that's a piece of satisfaction right there.  

Depending on the pricing (as it is getting VERY competitive with Scrypt related hardware) I actually would consider placing another order with them in the future given their honesty, professionalism and conveying their willingness to change things if they don't work.

Hopefully this helps someone out there!

M-M

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
dloganbill

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:13:03 AM

Thanks for the review! I got a text from DHL that said mine is supposed to deliver tomorrow, which surprises me. Current status says that it left Hong Kong today. Fingers crossed that they are right. I too was pretty upset by the long lead time, but am very anxious to put them to work.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 03:07:45 AM

Good review... Thanks M-M!

Are you going to try that new cgminer which allows to customize frequency and push to the limit each unit separately?
If so could you also review it please... With long waiting time and low ROI I hope these units can be pushed a little bit further using custom software and config.

V
miter_myles (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 03:24:33 AM

Are you going to try that new cgminer which allows to customize frequency and push to the limit each unit separately?
If so could you also review it please... With long waiting time and low ROI I hope these units can be pushed a little bit further using custom software and config.

V

No problem!

Yeah, I have been eyeing that one today.. time permitting this weekend I want to give both that one and the Hashra flavor a try and will post results.

vm_mpn

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:06:31 AM

V

No problem!

Yeah, I have been eyeing that one today.. time permitting this weekend I want to give both that one and the Hashra flavor a try and will post results.

Awesome... Thanks!
HASHRA

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

HASHRA - MINING TO THE MOON

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 04:12:27 PM

Thanks for the honest review!
It is clear we did have some serious teething problems the last couple of weeks.  Embarrassed

Glad you got everything running ok.

We'll be sending you a little gift for review Sir.
Cheers.

We are just about to release an update on our firmware for the Raspberry Pi "HASHRA CONTROLA" in the next 12 hours.
Would love to hear what you think of it if you try it.

THE HASHRA TEAM.

miter_myles (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 12:35:06 AM

No problem!  

Ran out of time this weekend to fiddle with a whole lot (it was too nice outside).

I did however hit homedepot for some kitchen organizer racks that allow me to easily "double stack" on my now old GPU shelves... thus with the slight re-org I am reporting that I can successfully run 20 Gridseed 5C's off of one RasPI (with a last week version of Scripta, sure the version has changed since then)...  

Hope to have some time this week to test out the Hashra flavor.

Will report back my findings..

miter_myles (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:42:43 AM

Update:

Was able to test the Hashra Controla (updated to latest Firmware 1.2.5) tonight on 8 GS 5-chip miners...  

Very quick to setup and easy to use..

The *only* thing missing in my opinion is some fail over pool options.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Also looks like they just jumped into the thick of the pricing competition - 20 miners for just $3000 ($150/miner).. shipping will run $150 though.  So that equates to $157.50/miner when it is all said and done.. which is still very good.

http://hashra.com/gridseedx20/

Cool

vm_mpn

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:57:31 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2014, 03:31:49 AM by vm_mpn

Finally got my x10 kit today... Agree, nicely packed and put together. Nothing was missing. I was worried about QC but each piece worked as expected after I set everything up and nothing went dead, smoked or sparked so far. NOTE: Both power supplies were set to 220v by default. Make sure to set each PSU switch to 110v if you live in the US.

HASHRA ras.pi firmware / CONTROLA web interface is very pretty and each unit seems to be stable running for a few hours.

Updated to the latest firmware v 1.2.5 via CONTROLA web interface but had to do the same update a few times since HASHRA CONTROLA update page insisted that newer update was available... I think the trick is to actually cold-reboot (power off / power on) ras.pi controller even after it has been automatically rebooted by firmware update. CONTROLA help section is still empty which I think would be a big help to non-technical users.

Left pretty much all settings at their HASHRA defaults except pool info, etc. Firmware is set to scrypt only and 850MHz speed which is probably optimal setting with power consumption under 100W per x10 set. I do not think each mining unit autoupdates after it gains full speed (could take a few min after reboot)... I know my total hashrate fluctuates but each unit stuck on 362 Kh/s and refuses to update (do not know if it's a bug or by design). System log box is really nice touch which allows you to see bfgminer work output in real time.

I keep thinking how much more I would enjoy this HASHRA purchase if I have not had to wait for over a month to get my package, and when I finally got it, unit price was cut in half... Other than that no complaints.

Vadim

P.S. Yes, failover pool option would be a big plus!
compumine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:24:59 PM

Thank you for the review.  My thoughts and experience exactly. 

Other than a dead usb hub, everything is great.

Regarding the Hashra Controla,

Would anyone be kind to shed some light on some things:

1. With Firmware 1.2.5  I noticed that the session time gets reset as if the units got rebooted!!  Did anyone notice this?

2. Under each scrypt miner, it displays Mining #/#  anyone can tell me please what these numbers represent?

3. Hardware errors.  What is this telling me?

4. Rejection rate?  is this the more accurate? or the pool's is more accurate? And what can I do to lower this?

Firmware 1.2.6

This firmware allows to mine in both scrypt and SHA, however it displays stats only for the SHA.

I noticed that after a minute or more, the stats disappear and shows nothing!! Anyone experienced this?

*Image Removed*
vm_mpn

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:04:29 PM

Thank you for the review.  My thoughts and experience exactly. 

Other than a dead usb hub, everything is great.

Regarding the Hashra Controla,

Would anyone be kind to shed some light on some things:

1. With Firmware 1.2.5  I noticed that the session time gets reset as if the units got rebooted!!  Did anyone notice this?

2. Under each scrypt miner, it displays Mining #/#  anyone can tell me please what these numbers represent?

3. Hardware errors.  What is this telling me?

4. Rejection rate?  is this the more accurate? or the pool's is more accurate? And what can I do to lower this?

Firmware 1.2.6

This firmware allows to mine in both scrypt and SHA, however it displays stats only for the SHA.

I noticed that after a minute or more, the stats disappear and shows nothing!! Anyone experienced this?

1. Yes, there is some sort of scheduled controller reset every few hours and I'm not sure why it's done.
2. Accepted / Total  (% reject rate for unit) For example: Mining...14/15 (6.67%) shows 1 out 15 jobs was rejected
3. Probably frequency is too high for some of the units - If you slow down to 800MHz you will see dramatic decrease in HW errors.
4. Rejects are accurate on the dashboard but it also has work discarded entry - your pool most likely is a sum of both.
5. Updated to 1.2.6 but do not know what changed - I only do scrypt.

I've also noticed that my dashboard Work Utility (WU) shows strange number 0.0nn like decimal in a wrong plase or something.
compumine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:07:15 PM

I have lowered it to 800Mhz and so far few minutes passed there are no Hardware errors!!  But of course my hash rate dropped.  Would the pool server be a reason?

Why 10 on one server have no hardware errors and the other 10 on another server would?

I might try switching them around to see if the hardware errors stay on the same 10.

*Image Removed*
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:53:35 PM

so the company is not scam ?

yolo
tchikatchik

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 09:47:12 PM

i have also bought and receive 10 greedseed asics from them. all ok but a power shotdown destroy a power supply and i have a greedseed with an acute sounf from the ventilator

forzendiablo : and they have better price that gawminers lol
nikolaz

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:11:41 PM

Just bought 5 x Gridseed Blade Plus today. I have been messaging with them since yesterday and they are pretty good at getting back to you...

If they do deliver on time, well these guys will be my go to guys just like Bitmain is my main source of Asic Miners for BTC.
biteboy

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:15:31 PM

V

No problem!

Awesome... Thanks!

No problem!
+1 good! Tongue
nikolaz

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:32:07 PM

I have to say this wire transfer from UK HSBC to HK HSBC completed and confirmed in my account less than 24 hours... Just looking forward to receiving the blades sometime next week as I my rack is already prepared for them  Tongue
HASHRA

Activity: 112

HASHRA - MINING TO THE MOON

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 07:04:29 PM

I have to say this wire transfer from UK HSBC to HK HSBC completed and confirmed in my account less than 24 hours... Just looking forward to receiving the blades sometime next week as I my rack is already prepared for them  Tongue

Great news! Thanks for your order with us!  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: