Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:22:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up a VPN server. Which country to use?  (Read 167 times)
hermie (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2020, 10:56:26 PM

I am setting up a VPN and am given a choice of which country to serve from... Any recommendations? Am looking to trade on Deribit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
May 09, 2020, 11:20:49 PM

I am setting up a VPN and am given a choice of which country to serve from... Any recommendations? Am looking to trade on Deribit.
Just choose up which one isnt included into this list: https://www.deribit.com/pages/information/Restricted_Countries

Try to make use of Opera Browser which do have that integrated VPN feature.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
May 10, 2020, 01:39:12 AM

Most good VPN providers will let you change server freely. You shouldn't have to pick a server on sign up, unless you are setting up your own private VPN server.

Try to make use of Opera Browser which do have that integrated VPN feature.
Don't do this. Opera's integrated VPN, like all free VPNs, is complete spyware. They monitor your traffic and sell your data to third parties. As with everything online, if you are getting something for free then you are the product. It's also not really a VPN at all, just a simple proxy. It makes your security and privacy worse, not better, and should be avoided.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
May 10, 2020, 01:39:20 AM

Just choose up which one isnt included into this list: https://www.deribit.com/pages/information/Restricted_Countries

This, and choose the non-restricted country that's closest to what country you're in as to not unnecessarily increase the ping/latency.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2020, 05:08:45 AM

Check the site where you want to use the VPN of country listed in their directory, some sites can detect VPN be sure they allow such use, and when it comes to picking the right VPN be sure they have a good recommendation from other users, premium VPN is preferable to free VPN.

Aveatrex

Activity: 840
Merit: 375

View Profile
May 10, 2020, 11:18:26 AM

Don't do this. Opera's integrated VPN, like all free VPNs, is complete spyware. They monitor your traffic and sell your data to third parties. As with everything online, if you are getting something for free then you are the product. It's also not really a VPN at all, just a simple proxy. It makes your security and privacy worse, not better, and should be avoided.

Counter example: Tor is free, but does it make your security and privacy worse? I'm fairly certain it doesn't. I can't prove you wrong, I mean it's possible what you are saying is true but you can't prove it either. Monitoring traffic and selling data are big accusations that needs to be proved or it didn't happen.

Side note: You are encouraging "good" paid VPNs, it's not always the right choice. Even paid VPNs are allowed and able to give out user's informations Example? Check Kretsinger case with HMA VPN.

About OP question,I would say just use a country near to your actual location so your ping doesn't get too high and affect your trading.

░░░▄▀█░░░▄░▄▄░▄░░░█▀▄
▄▄▄▀▀██▀░█▐▌█ ▀██▀▀▄▄▄
▐▌░░░▐▀░▄▀░▐▌░▀▄░▀▌░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▄▀▄▐▌▄▀▄░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▀▄░▀▀░▄▀░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░▄░█▄░▀▄▐▌▄▀░▄█░▄░░▐▌
▐▌░█▄█░░▀▀▀██▀▀▀░░█▄█░▐▌
▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
▐█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▌
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░
░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░█▀▄▄▀▄▄▀█░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░▄█
█▄█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█░░░░▄▄▀▀▀▄▄
░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄██▀█▌▀▄
░░░██▄██▄▄█▀█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄█░░░░░█▄▄█▄█▄█▄█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀░░░▀▀▄█▄█▄▀▀

░░░██▄▄░░██░██
▄▄░░░░░▀█░█▄▐▌░░░░░▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▐▌▄█▐▌░░░░█░▀▀
░░░░░░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░░░░░█░▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄
░░▀▀░░█▄▀▀▀▀▀█▄▀
░░░░░░░█▐▌▀█░█
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▐▌░█░░▀▀▀▀▀▀█
░░░░░░░░██░░▀▀▀▀▀██░██
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
May 10, 2020, 02:11:12 PM

Counter example: Tor is free, but does it make your security and privacy worse? I'm fairly certain it doesn't.
Tor is completely different to a VPN. Tor uses layers of encryption, so even if one of the three nodes you bounce through is malicious, there is very little it can do with the information it has.

Your entry nodes knows your real IP and the IP of your middle node, but knows nothing about your final destination or your data.
Your middle node knows the IP of your entry node and your exit node, but knows nothing about your final destination or your data.
Your exit nodes knows the IP of your middle node and the final destination of your data, and can also see your data if it isn't otherwise encrypted (such as HTTPS).

A VPN server on other hand can see your real IP, your final destination, and all your data, making it a single point of failure/attack/maliciousness/etc.

Monitoring traffic and selling data are big accusations that needs to be proved or it didn't happen.
Have a read of their privacy policy: https://www.opera.com/privacy
Our applications and services include third-party technology or code, some of which may use your data in different ways. When such third-party technologies use previously collected data, they typically act as data processors for us. When they collect data on their own, they typically act as independent data controllers. For convenience, we have included links to their privacy policies below. Data controllers are marked with an asterisk.
It then goes on to list some of the worst privacy invading companies in existence, such as Google and Facebook.

Side note: You are encouraging "good" paid VPNs, it's not always the right choice. Even paid VPNs are allowed and able to give out user's informations Example?
I used the word "good" to refer to being allowed to change servers freely, which is indeed a fairly basic feature that most good VPNs should allow. I made no comment regarding VPNs storing logs. I also wouldn't call HMA "good" in any sense of the word - they are based in the UK (five eyes), and again have a privacy policy which permits them to collect far more data than they should.
bearexin

Activity: 1162
Merit: 168

View Profile
May 10, 2020, 09:44:23 PM

If you really want just deribit I would say pick one that isn't on that list, places that are on that list is basically the ones you can't trade from and that would be enough, there is nothing else you need to take a look at. However if you want pick something that is basically globally fine, I would say anything from Germany would be fine probably, or the first world countries probably get something very quickly, in many places, they put it up right away and restrict it.

So, you could go with some south Asian country, like Thaliand or something, usually that place allows everything in general and there is rarely any restriction in south Asia. Of course this is more personal and using the vpn everywhere instead of just using it on deribit because deribit only restricts like few nations.
Bajank

Activity: 613
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 01:38:27 AM

if you want to use Vpn very much but you have to see a good product I recommend using a safer Torbrowser I've been using it for more than 2 years

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: