Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:24:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Privacy setup  (Read 153 times)
Csmiami (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1319

I'm sometimes known as "miniadmin"

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2020, 12:22:19 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Since the lockdown situation, university life has changed quite drastically. Now that the exam/evaluation weeks are getting closer, and it's pretty clear that we are going to be doing the exams online, universities are developing what they call "anti-cheating guidelines". This guidelines are far from being useful, and they are a direct attack to each student's privacy. I'll quote some of those; they change depending on the university and the teacher, but most of them go against user privacy:

• Students will have to keep a video recording device on during the test, and every move will be recorded and stored
  • Students will have to keep an open mic during the duration of the exam, and everything will be recorded and stored

Other guidelines I've read include a virtual tour to of the room in which the exam will be made, not having a second monitor plugged in, installing browser extensions that will keep track of every move, network traffic, clipboard etc...

As I value my privacy, and I'm pretty angry with how the university has handled the whole situation (absent teachers, endless essays and projects...), I'm thinking about protecting my privacy installing by installing a sandbox inside the computer. For that I would:

-Install a Vitual Machine and set the parameters (no webcam, no mic, no hdmi ports....)
-Run some Linux distro, privacy focused if it was possible (I need some help choosing that)
-Run TOR at safest during the duration of the test

It's a fact that the university can not force me to buy some hardware only for an exam, so I'm pretty confident about not giving a virtual tour of my room to the whole class.

Anyway, some ideas on this setup will be welcomed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 6365

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
May 11, 2020, 12:32:33 PM

What you say is a bit ambiguous. You say that students may have to record themselves during the test then you say you'll stop the mic and webcam.
The test may happen as a conference so the teacher can keep an eye on you real time. If so you'll need the webcam and mic and also ToR may get out of question for making the things too slow.

About distro, since you'll use a VM and will not "touch" your main data (that's smth you set from VM, not the OS inside VM), you can consider that VM disposable and it doesn't matter how much privacy-oriented will it be, it doesn't matter.
Make sure the VM OS will have installed everything you need!!

So the data from the computer should be safe.
The content of your room may be somewhat visible, I recommend you change the position of your office so your back will be next to a wall.
The IP however I don't know how you can hide without losing speed.

PS. Wait for others' opinions too.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2020, 12:38:49 PM

This one is pretty tricky... Do you want to risk not getting credits because you don't want to give a virtual tour, or because you decide to run inside a sandbox, or use tor?

I realize that, as a human, you have the right to privacy... But i'm not confident a university will give you credits if they have the slightest idear you might have cheated. Eventough i graduated ages ago, i still think i'd put my grades before my privacy and "sell out", comply with their demands and just get it over with.

I know in my country, universities are switching to oral exams over the webcam, open book exams, and physical exams with respect to social distancing rules.
Csmiami (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1319

I'm sometimes known as "miniadmin"

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2020, 01:34:01 PM

What you say is a bit ambiguous. You say that students may have to record themselves during the test then you say you'll stop the mic and webcam.
The test may happen as a conference so the teacher can keep an eye on you real time. If so you'll need the webcam and mic and also ToR may get out of question for making the things too slow.
I know in my country, universities are switching to oral exams over the webcam, open book exams, and physical exams with respect to social distancing rules.
Luckily, I already know how the exams are going to be. Some will be multiple choice tests, and others are going to be developing exams that later on have to be scanned and sent. In both cases, there is no real need for such a strict control, and if someone is going to cheat, there's really nothing stopping them from doing so. Getting not very creative, any pdf file can be searched so it'd be pretty easy to use them. Apart from that, it's well known that these exams are not meant to evaluate our knowledge, but to evaluate our memory.... Roll Eyes

About distro, since you'll use a VM and will not "touch" your main data (that's smth you set from VM, not the OS inside VM), you can consider that VM disposable and it doesn't matter how much privacy-oriented will it be, it doesn't matter.
Make sure the VM OS will have installed everything you need!!

So the data from the computer should be safe.
The content of your room may be somewhat visible, I recommend you change the position of your office so your back will be next to a wall.
The IP however I don't know how you can hide without losing speed.
The whole point of using the VM is to not give it the webcam hardware; in case they make me install some extension that will search for it. You can't use something that you don't have. I'm not really concerned about loosing browsing speed, and it could be benefitial if the get too stupid with the whole streaming thing. A public university should not assume that people have high-end internet data available at home (and many other things), but that's another whole topic.

This one is pretty tricky... Do you want to risk not getting credits because you don't want to give a virtual tour, or because you decide to run inside a sandbox, or use tor?

I realize that, as a human, you have the right to privacy... But i'm not confident a university will give you credits if they have the slightest idear you might have cheated. Eventough i graduated ages ago, i still think i'd put my grades before my privacy and "sell out", comply with their demands and just get it over with.
it's not really about risking getting evaluated, the things I've seen here during the years I've been in this university would amaze many people. I've seen people's mark rise from a 2.3 to a 6 after scanning a 600 page book to pdf; and that's one of the least atrocities I've witnessed.

I understand that the university wants to ensure what the call "quality", but it's really annoyin that they are getting all worked up and worried about it now, when they don't give a shit during normal conditions. Yes, I agree that some sort of control is required, but the range of that control is just too wide. Another university that is close to mine, is making students do the room-tour, and then place the phone in a strategic place that will let stream the whole "working area", while at the same time, they have to get a webcam on with a screen recorder, it's pretty crazy.

My goal is to comply with the rules that are set for the evaluation, but not giving them more than the bare minimum requiriments. There are some lines that cannot be crossed, and even if some teachers tend to forget it, students have some rights too. Privacy is one of them, and I'll fight to protect it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: