Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:21:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New starter: Mining Alts  (Read 283 times)
ramtahazara (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2020, 11:51:45 AM

Hi Forum,

I'm new to this forum and completely new to mining however, I'm very keen on mining altcoins at home - In particular, ETH and LTC.

Can someone guide me in the right direction from start to finish i.e.

1) Competitive hardware required i.e. Mining rig/machine, GPU, AC to keep location cool
2) Electricity usage breakdowns and calculators
3) Mining pool suggestions

Would be great to get the ball rolling on this for alts. Look forward to your response guys  Smiley
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
May 14, 2020, 12:33:40 PM

I wonder if there are any free consultants out there that have time to hold your hand instead of you doing your own research.   Roll Eyes
ramtahazara (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2020, 01:29:40 PM

I wonder if there are any free consultants out there that have time to hold your hand instead of you doing your own research.   Roll Eyes

I can only imagine that you held a few. We all start somewhere buddy!

Guys, please shoot across your suggestions - it will be really helpful to get the ball rolling.

Thanks
btcltc4you

Activity: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2020, 01:38:24 PM

Wow! the newbie didn't really ask anything unreasonable.... this is a 'forum' after all.....
I still get people asking me every day "Where can I buy Bitcoin from" - I just tell them.. no skin off my back.

styleshifter

Activity: 155
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2020, 02:51:54 PM

You need a GPU for ETH and an ASIC for LTC.

Maybe just start with your normal computer.
Add a GPU like AMD RX 5600XT or RX 5700 or NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super or RTX 2060 Super.

The Futurebit Apollo can mine LTC.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036.0

Then you need a wallet to store ETH and LTC.

For mining software, pools & calculators you can have a look at the app in my signature  Wink

Take one of the biggest mining pools like ethermine.org for ETH and litecoinpool.org for LTC.

Latest Crypto Miner App - Get the latest mining software from official sources & receive update notifications
https://latest-miner.web.app --- https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=5073731.0 --- https://twitter.com/styleshifter1
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 02:01:45 AM

I can only imagine that you held a few. We all start somewhere buddy!

Guys, please shoot across your suggestions - it will be really helpful to get the ball rolling.

Thanks

Com'on guys, its not a big deal to help a newbs

btw, here's a good read bro, hope it helps Wink Wink

https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/what-hardware-do-i-buy-to-start-mining.html
JayDDee

Activity: 1400
Merit: 222

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 03:41:38 AM

A bit of sarcasm maybe, but the point was valid. OP just registered today and first post was the most FAQ.
It's not that hard to google "how to mine ethereum"?

ramtahazara (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 12:45:58 PM

Add a GPU like AMD RX 5600XT or RX 5700 or NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super or RTX 2060 Super.

For mining software, pools & calculators you can have a look at the app in my signature  Wink

Take one of the biggest mining pools like ethermine.org for ETH and litecoinpool.org for LTC.

Thanks styles - really useful info. With regards to pool fees for ETH, what are we approximately looking at?
rikuu

Activity: 102
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 12:57:22 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2020, 01:35:33 PM by rikuu

Thanks styles - really useful info. With regards to pool fees for ETH, what are we approximately looking at?

Whattomine has now pool fees and exchanges info at the bottom. You can have a look for ETH here: https://whattomine.com/coins/151-eth-ethash
ramtahazara (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 01:22:31 PM

For mining software, pools & calculators you can have a look at the app in my signature  Wink

Whattomine has now pool fees and exchanges info at the bottom. You can have a look for ETH here: https://whattomine.com/coins/151-eth-ethash

great, thanks rikuu. With some regards to some of the GPU's mentioned above for ETH ^ what would the average power consumption (in watts) be if one was using a pc tower? I know usually wattage is usually outlined on miner spec
rikuu

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 01:33:03 PM

great, thanks rikuu. With some regards to some of the GPU's mentioned above for ETH ^ what would the average power consumption (in watts) be if one was using a pc tower? I know usually wattage is usually outlined on miner spec

A home miner paying regular price for kWh, using a PC with a single GPU in it probably won't be making any money. A single GPU is around 150W-200W at the wall (depending on the GPU), and the rest of the PC adds around 50W on top of that.
Professional GPU miners uses PCs with 6+ GPUs so the added power is minimum, not to mention that their electricity prices are really good (doesn't make sense otherwise).
ramtahazara (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 05:34:22 PM

A home miner paying regular price for kWh, using a PC with a single GPU in it probably won't be making any money. A single GPU is around 150W-200W at the wall (depending on the GPU), and the rest of the PC adds around 50W on top of that.
Professional GPU miners uses PCs with 6+ GPUs so the added power is minimum, not to mention that their electricity prices are really good (doesn't make sense otherwise).

Perfect, thanks Rikuu. And regards to ETH mining hash rate, how much would the ETH mining hash rate be for one GPU? Just trying my best to get realistic figures here. My electricity is around 14p kWh. so that's around 17c
rikuu

View Profile
May 15, 2020, 08:57:15 PM

Perfect, thanks Rikuu. And regards to ETH mining hash rate, how much would the ETH mining hash rate be for one GPU? Just trying my best to get realistic figures here. My electricity is around 14p kWh. so that's around 17c
A RX 5700 XT is around 55 MH/s. Not sure about NVIDIA GPUs.
Stanlo

Activity: 952
Merit: 110

View Profile
May 16, 2020, 06:36:29 AM

Hi Forum,

I'm new to this forum and completely new to mining however, I'm very keen on mining altcoins at home - In particular, ETH and LTC.

Can someone guide me in the right direction from start to finish i.e.

1) Competitive hardware required i.e. Mining rig/machine, GPU, AC to keep location cool
2) Electricity usage breakdowns and calculators
3) Mining pool suggestions

Would be great to get the ball rolling on this for alts. Look forward to your response guys  Smiley
Since you are point to ETH and LTC in particular you will need powerful GPUs for ETH and of course Asic miner for LTC, forget AMD cards for ETH, NVIDIA is the best for mining Ethereum, I suggest cards like GTX1070 or the ti variants, just make sure the memory of the cards is from 4gig up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: